Anti-magic guild

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

cromin
Supporting Member 2008

Anti-magic guild

Post by cromin »

update: ignore this old post.. instead read the new one, a couple of messages forward

----
I have currently no name suggestion but I have some ideas for an anti-magic guild (don't know if all of these can be done).
Members of the guild..
- would be able to sense whereabouts of monsters wearing/wielding magical equipment
- would have spells that make damage to monsters through their magical equipment
- would take less damage from spells and magical weapons
- could reflect offensive spells (cast at the anti-magicist) back at the caster
- could cast counterspell to interfere in monsters' spellcasting
- could render an enemy unable to cast spells
- could have a dispel spell/ability to remove all magical buffs from a player/monster
Last edited by cromin on Wed Jan 23, 2008 17:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tilamond

Post by tilamond »

sounds good, but instead off the counterspell, have an attack skill that has an % chance to make the magic user to fail his spell
cromin
Supporting Member 2008

Post by cromin »

two more ideas..
- would be able to drain spell points from players/monsters
- would be unable to wear any magical equipment
thoran
Wizard

Post by thoran »

for me this sounds like an race ability for a special race.
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

Sounds like ideas for channeler guild. Some are even nice ones. Keep 'em coming :)
malag
Supporting Member 2005

Post by malag »

the anti-magic part sound like a beholders antimagic eye - dont know how it works in icesus - but it should negate all magic

Post by Guest »

what about a major feud with both of the magic guilds, mage and sorcerers. and what about an anit-magic field that is constantly around the member of this guild, sort of like what happens when someone with a nether torch walks in the room or one of those items. let it affect all but one of the elements, so certain of these members could work with the air priests, or maybe the earth priests.
tanstai

Post by tanstai »

- would be able to sense whereabouts of monsters wearing/wielding magical equipment
Sounds like a huge possible abuse issue...I WISH I could sense what mobs had magic armour...and then go get it, and while getting it, I negate the effects on the mob!

Tanstai
wield Life
You don't have a Life.
grainer
Supporting Member 2015

Post by grainer »

thera wrote:let it affect all but one of the elements, so certain of these members could work with the air priests, or maybe the earth priests.
This would be just an artificial exception to the basic guild idea. I think it would be better if no one could cast spells in the same room where anti-magician is. That would create more use for alchemists because anti-magicians would be sucking those potions all the time.

Alchemists are now basically incensemakers so it would be good to get some real use on the other parts of the guild.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

anti-magic guild

Post by solar »

Nice idea, I sort of like it. But when I hear 'anti-magic' I immediately picture a frenzied barbarian with foam dripping from his mouth.
I don't think that this 'anti-magic' guild should be able to use spells (magical items they could use of course). They should have masteries that help them fight against foes that use magic.
For example, resistance-masteries to invidual damagetypes, or a small chance of absorbing a spell to heal themselves.
So my suggestions regarding the 'look' of this 'anti-magic' guild:
Barbarians that hate magic so much that they want to erase it.
or
A (monk-like?) secret society that has been specially trained to hunt down corrupted magic-users with various techniques that don't involve magic.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
croli

Re: anti-magic guild

Post by croli »

solar wrote:Nice idea, I sort of like it. But when I hear 'anti-magic' I immediately picture a frenzied barbarian with foam dripping from his mouth.
Like the militia you mean? :P
solar wrote:I don't think that this 'anti-magic' guild should be able to use spells (magical items they could use of course). They should have masteries that help them fight against foes that use magic.
For example, resistance-masteries to invidual damagetypes, or a small chance of absorbing a spell to heal themselves.
That would make them really useful in parties, like a kind of deftank to defeat magic-using mobs. Very difficult to balance (at least the way I think of balance) but a nice feature.
solar wrote: So my suggestions regarding the 'look' of this 'anti-magic' guild:
Barbarians that hate magic so much that they want to erase it.
or
A (monk-like?) secret society that has been specially trained to hunt down corrupted magic-users with various techniques that don't involve magic.
I like the second idea better, the first one would somehow prevent those anti-magic people from partying with mages/air_priests/sourceres and such, which surely can't be much fun :)
grainer
Supporting Member 2015

Re: anti-magic guild

Post by grainer »

croli wrote: That would make them really useful in parties, like a kind of deftank to defeat magic-using mobs. Very difficult to balance (at least the way I think of balance) but a nice feature.
Not very hard to balance if anti-magicist cannot party with any magic-users ,)

edit quotes right and why does it say "you can't make another post so soon when I want to _edit_ my _existing_ post??

Post by Guest »

how about the guild's main stat is constitution, ie it requires a strong will to repress the natural magic in the plane.
cromin
Supporting Member 2008

Post by cromin »

Bit more thought-through proposal:

Witch-hunters (mainguild or subguild for army/shadowdancers who decide to live without magic)

-Meleeish anti-magic guild devoted to ridding the world of magic
-Expertises in fighting against casters and enemies with magical equipment
*enemies with magical equipment are severely weakened
*guild weapon deals massive damage when hitting a slot with magical equipment
*witch-hunter takes much less damage from magical weapons
*witch-hunter gets boosted when spells are cast against him
-Members can't wear magical equipment
-Members can't cast any spells
-Resist magic damage
-Ability to sense magic (=find monsters with glowing equipment in outworld)
-Their presence slows casting and increases spell failing percentage
-Their anti-magic presence gets boosted when ritually destroying magical equipment
*with higher levels chance to reflect spells, abort spell casting process etc
-When soloing they have ability that turns magical equipment against their wearers
*enemies get crushed, burned, strangled(collar), tripped over(boots) etc by their own magic equipment
*witch-hunter's anti-magic aura repels the approaching enemy (because wears something magical)
*tough monsters can break through the aura and attack the witch-hunter
*monsters can be killed without a proper fight
*doing this to bigger monsters need more concentration in holding the aura, lessening the damaging process
*aura holding/damaging can be adjusted
*bigger monsters take a lot more time to kill
cromin
Supporting Member 2008

Post by cromin »

*would differ somewhat from other guilds since only killing monsters with glow equipment/magic skills would make sense rate-wise

*feared guild in player vs player fights :]