Anti-magic guild

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

goderic

Post by goderic »

How would it play in partying with casters of any kind?
torvus

Post by torvus »

By what means would their guild weapon do bonus damage to slots with magical equipment, or to turn the effect of such equipment against the user? I mean.. They're completely against magic, so they have to be using some form of power to have such effects against it.
After all, from the sound of it they're draining the magic. What natural means could produce such effects?
vadun
Supporting Member 2009

Post by vadun »

Sounds quite a bit like an "Unbeliever" from the T.O.M.E. roguelike. Which is fine by me, since they're a lot of fun.

If anything, the guild item should be their weapon. The only "Magical" effect it should get would be the Glow or Suck light (Depending on race/preference).

The bigger the effect the more magic is nearby.. or even how good their anti-magic shell is at the moment due to "breaking magic eq" sacrificing it, whatever.

Not sure if their anti-magic should hinder friendly casters though, or just spells/buffs cast on themselves
cadus

Post by cadus »

Shadowdancers actually have a few spells, so how does that work with your no-spell restriction? It sounds like a good subguild for wilders though.
goderic

Post by goderic »

cadus wrote:Shadowdancers actually have a few spells, so how does that work with your no-spell restriction? It sounds like a good subguild for wilders though.
Yeah, would suit wilder, or possibly templar, but with restrictions on what else the templar could do.
cromin
Supporting Member 2008

Post by cromin »

how i see it is that they don't use magic, they just twist the existing magic with their hate towards it

*they would be unable to cast any spells (byebye shadow barrier)
*impossible or very difficult to party with magic-users
*maybe even automatic frenzy toward anyone who casts,friend or foe -> much flavor to playing .. no more sitting at ereldon
*would easily beat even pretty big enemies with glow and/or casting capabilities -> why not even be a guild that enables melee eq-making
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

cromin wrote:how i see it is that they don't use magic, they just twist the existing magic with their hate towards it

*they would be unable to cast any spells (byebye shadow barrier)
*impossible or very difficult to party with magic-users
*maybe even automatic frenzy toward anyone who casts,friend or foe -> much flavor to playing .. no more sitting at ereldon
*would easily beat even pretty big enemies with glow and/or casting capabilities -> why not even be a guild that enables melee eq-making

There are not that many viable spellcaster monsters in game to make this idea playable.

Being hard to party with magic user would make them totally useless.

Automatic frenzy towards casters does not suit the flowerpower of icesus. It could be abused and for example i would reinc to this guild just to kill people with fake reason.

Doing eq/big monsters solo is already something that should not happen. Earthpriests and waterpriests already do that, and thats the only thing they do.

I see nothing good in this idea in my honest opinion.
cromin
Supporting Member 2008

Post by cromin »

quite many monsters do cast dart/arrow..

but yeah you are right about the frenzy..

and with party of few of these why couldn't they be able to make some average eq too? not all eqmonsters even wear glow so they are out of the question

..of course no-one will ever bother to code a guild like this but well i guess the point was to throw some ideas. a guild that is very strong against a type of enemies (magic enemies in this case) and weak against others sounds pretty good and fresh to me.. the guilds that exits nowadays are more or less equally good against all enemies (except big ones)