Exploring

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

What a thing to say about yoz.
moraq

Post by moraq »

khade wrote:What a thing to say about yoz.
I was actually talking about you. You can return to your dumpster now.
ayumi

Post by ayumi »

How about an item? That gains charge/uses by exploring more? I'm thinking about the hunting spear that gains charge on it.

So what I'm thinking is maybe some eq that gains a + every 10 rooms or so (too crappy for higher players and too good for lower? so maybe not a good idea). Or an item that does something fun and/or useful that has some command dealy that gains an extra once per boot use for every room or so. Or the command is still once per boot but has a better effect the more you've explored.

What sort of item that would be I have no clue yet, I'm not even sure if it's a good idea or not.

Also as mentioned earlier, these rooms that gain explore points tend to be special sorta rooms anyway. So the people who would just run through trying to gain explore are losing in the end, because you only get notified of this "special room" once. If they don't pay attention, they lose on a REALLY SUBTLE hint. So trying to tune it so people don't just run through for whatever bonus is unnecessary imo, they're losing anyway.
klarh
Supporting Member 2008

Post by klarh »

Weeeeeeell, I don't mean to be a party pooper, but lots and lots of the explore points I've gotten have just been from being in a couple eqparties/normal exp. But then again, maybe that's because I'm too lazy to actually do anything myself.

--Klarh, the "OMG I EXPLORZ LOTS OF W#ORLD!!" player.
ayumi

Post by ayumi »

klarh wrote:Weeeeeeell, I don't mean to be a party pooper, but lots and lots of the explore points I've gotten have just been from being in a couple eqparties/normal exp. But then again, maybe that's because I'm too lazy to actually do anything myself.

--Klarh, the "OMG I EXPLORZ LOTS OF W#ORLD!!" player.
Well one could argue that that's a symptom no? At the moment exploring is pretty useless. Directly useless, that is, before I get the obvious stated to me. So yeah maybe you wouldn't be so lazy if there was something to gain from exploring. Then again maybe not :P
osma

Post by osma »

Keeping with the idea of permanent rewards, perhaps this.

The idea of exploring stems from searching around in dangerous or distant areas for hidden places or unique locations [not all the explores are hidden. Some (altars) are really easy to "find", you just have to walk all the way out there.] So perhaps follow Iluth's idea of adding wis bonus, or even more useful and equaly sensable, con to your explore. Say, each adjective you explore grants +1 wis or con, alternating. When you reinc, the game sets your stats based on race and whatever, then adds the bonuses based on explore adjective. This would be a worthwhile bonus, yet not a huge one since there are only so many adjectives. (This may even encourage people to explore new zones. I am not shure if new hidden rooms adjusts everyones adjective or not, but if it does, drop of adjective would mean drop of stats.)
Weeeeeeell, I don't mean to be a party pooper, but lots and lots of the explore points I've gotten have just been from being in a couple eqparties/normal exp
One idea of fixing this would be to make it impossible to gain explore points unless you are solo/solo party. (This would likely only work if explore was reset). This would not affect some rooms, since people simply would kick members, let them explore, and invite back in. However, some rooms may/do have nasty monsters inside, which means you could only safely get that point by being big enough to survive, or willing to bite the bullet and die. The "Intrepid Heroes" who go out into new areas, exploring every nook would get a worthwhile bonus to their charecters, while those who are "too lazy to actually do anything myself" will just have to live with the limited rooms that are easily accessible.
kraven
Supporting Member 2012

Post by kraven »

but as one famous mudder once said, why explore when you can exp! explore counter is such a side/minor feature anyway that it should actually just give newbie players 100k-500k exp by running couple areas trough and with that getting started.
suron

Post by suron »

kraven wrote:but as one famous mudder once said, why explore when you can exp! explore counter is such a side/minor feature anyway that it should actually just give newbie players 100k-500k exp by running couple areas trough and with that getting started.
Um, I don't recall saying such thing...
kraven
Supporting Member 2012

Post by kraven »

suron wrote:
kraven wrote:but as one famous mudder once said, why explore when you can exp! explore counter is such a side/minor feature anyway that it should actually just give newbie players 100k-500k exp by running couple areas trough and with that getting started.

legendary mudders are always anonymous ;)...anyway that explore thing should be carrot for newbies to go out from sweet,wet,warm rat warehouse and get 100000x more exp from single explore than hours of exping...that makes em greedy and the wanna go out more and more and more and more and finally they learn new places/areas which is the whole idea of explore. and of course explore could be made so that if in party only the leader gets it and well, its up to leader if he wants to share party members that "i did get explore right now" or just be quiet and the members themself come there later on
kraven
Supporting Member 2012

Post by kraven »

kraven wrote:
suron wrote:

legendary mudders are always anonymous ;)...anyway that explore thing should be carrot for newbies to go out from sweet,wet,warm rat warehouse and get 100000x more exp from single explore than hours of exping...that makes em greedy and the wanna go out more and more and more and more and finally they learn new places/areas which is the whole idea of explore. and of course explore could be made so that if in party only the leader gets it and well, its up to leader if he wants to share party members that "i did get explore right now" or just be quiet and the members themself come there later on

additional to that, i mean i think newbies and ppl overall rather spent hours on exping to improve their character than hours of exploring and getting handful of shit
moraq

Post by moraq »

kraven wrote:
...anyway that explore thing should be carrot for newbies to go out from sweet,wet,warm rat warehouse and get 100000x more exp from single explore than hours of exping...
No, no, no. Exploring should not draw newbies out of the rat warehouse. Every newbie should first acquire some amount of exp and levels in these very newbie areas before even getting out of Vaerlon, not to speak of getting off the roads. <15 level character probably won't survive even a few rounds encounter with a manticore. IMO, after newbies have already leveled up a bit and learned to actually play the game, they could somehow be offered a "carrot" to explore the outerworld.
dracu
Supporting Member 2017

Post by dracu »

kraven wrote: additional to that, i mean i think newbies and ppl overall rather spent hours on exping to improve their character than hours of exploring and getting handful of shit
Well define "handful of shit" :wink:
kraven
Supporting Member 2012

Post by kraven »

dracu wrote:
kraven wrote: additional to that, i mean i think newbies and ppl overall rather spent hours on exping to improve their character than hours of exploring and getting handful of shit
Well define "handful of shit" :wink:
well, the couple tons of exp after solving a syntax nightmare..and nothing more :shock:
solarin

Post by solarin »

a lvl 30 or so char has a hard time with a manticore I know got my ass handed to me a couple times... :cry:
I won't get mad at you today, it's be kind to animals week.
comas
Supporting Member 2007

Post by comas »

I think exploring is just a natural part of the game. Not because the game is soo big and you just can't contain the urge to explore it, but rather because you get tired of doing the same things over and over again.

In my case, at lvl 39 , i go to a few places that i know well to exp, this includes sewers, shanty etc..

The problem, is that everybody does this, so these places are cleaned out very often.

So i find myself exploring new areas to find something usefull, and not crowded.

But i do see a little problem, aside from usual exp places ( don't know if i can say it as it might be viewed as information sharing), mobs are usually too hard for the exp they give, for example, avians. They range from 7 to 10 k maybe, but they hit a lot harder than a 9k crawler from sewers. So it's usually not worth it for me.

I think more then having new explore system, id rather see new areas made with 7 to 15k mobs, so that there are more mobs like this to kill for all, or just adjusting the respawn rate to a lower time frame.
That is just me.

Also i 've read ( in forums, and channels) that exp mobs for highbies are limited, and/or too hard, and too far to get to them, so most highbies just wipe out every normal place quickly and make exp that way. Maybe we could just use new areas for highbies with more highbie oriented mobs ( say 50 to 100k), and this way decreasing the traffic on more moderate mobs for lesser lvl players.
PEBKAC