Exploring

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

dracu
Supporting Member 2017

Exploring

Post by dracu »

I don't know if this has been brought up before but here's my thoughts about exploring

Currently the experience amount you gain by exploring is far too small and imho it just helps those players around ~10lvls if even that, after that it's just dicksize and nothing more.

So what i'd like to see is that the explore experience to be upped a bit or to make it worthwhile by other means, IE quests that require exploring would be very nice to see at some point or that could be added as a requirement to that rebirth thing if it's ever going to see the daylight.
Embracing the darkness is the only solution to this madness.
midrien

Post by midrien »

Im not sure more experience is really the way to go with that.

I think more "Exploring related" rewards would be in order. Free Orienteering/pathfinding %? Perhaps even cap those two skills at a small ammount if you haven't really explored.

Those pathfinder boots are an event reward i think, so thats no good.. A title perhaps?
dracu
Supporting Member 2017

Post by dracu »

Midrien wrote:
Im not sure more experience is really the way to go with that.

I think more "Exploring related" rewards would be in order. Free Orienteering/pathfinding %? Perhaps even cap those two skills at a small ammount if you haven't really explored.

Those pathfinder boots are an event reward i think, so thats no good.. A title perhaps?
Well true perhaps not experience, Titles would be one option too but i'd rather see exploring a part of something bigger than just getting a title from it but i guess that's just me.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

\:D/

Post by solar »

Indeed.

Once there was an use for exploring: the Newbie Maze!

By finding its four special rooms, one was rewarded with a few cool newbieish magical items!

Sadly, the area is no more.

Of course, those rewards were materialistic and of little use to higher-lvl players.

Since Icesus is not flooded with rooms that have the 'explorable' tag in them, it might be possible to implement a sort of PDF reward system for exploring, unless a better one can be thought of?

Like... 1 pdf for each % of total explore you have?
(for mentally challenged: 0-100 pdf could be gained this way)

... Or do we even have more than 100 explore-rooms? I think not :(

Or... yeah, now I've got it! We'll let Misrobo think of something! >:) >:) >:)
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
kraven
Supporting Member 2012

Re: \:D/

Post by kraven »

solar wrote:Indeed.

Once there was an use for exploring: the Newbie Maze!

By finding its four special rooms, one was rewarded with a few cool newbieish magical items!

Sadly, the area is no more.

Of course, those rewards were materialistic and of little use to higher-lvl players.

Since Icesus is not flooded with rooms that have the 'explorable' tag in them, it might be possible to implement a sort of PDF reward system for exploring, unless a better one can be thought of?

Like... 1 pdf for each % of total explore you have?
(for mentally challenged: 0-100 pdf could be gained this way)

... Or do we even have more than 100 explore-rooms? I think not :(

Or... yeah, now I've got it! We'll let Misrobo think of something! >:) >:) >:)
that would actually be good idea,it would introduce pdf system to newbies as other stuff introduces df system.
moraq

Post by moraq »

Let's not forget that exploring, in itself, is a reward of kinds. Usually the best quests are hidden somewhere. Besides this, exploring an area gives you an advantage over a player that did not explore, allowing you to, for example, lead parties and/or kill monster more effectively.

It's true however that the explore plaque at its current state is fairly simple, to put it mildly, and I wouldn't mind someone enhancing it.

After being around for a while I have seen lots of players, even of quite a high level/status, who still get lost in shanty town.
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

Explore system itself is not even interesting at the moment, and does not provide anything that makes one want to explore a lot.
Except the knowledge etc mentioned earlier.

After mine and few others explores were resetted due to buggy rooms, i have not bothered to explore at all.

This system needs some kind of an fix, or atleast something that makes it interesting. For example the batmuds explore system where every room gives an fixed amount of exp and the amount increases as you explore more and more is damn fine, and encourages newbies to explore their first points of exp, even up to 15-20mil of totals. I wouldn't mind at all if the system would be changed to something like that, then again, it would need a lot of coding, checking etc, because currently only the bit more "special" rooms currently give explores.
harlonus
Supporting Member 2014

Post by harlonus »

batmuds explore system didnt encourage me to explore, it just made me run from room to another and try every exit etc.. i didnt even bother to read the room descs and managed to get a decent amount of exp.. well sure i dont have anything against it, but does this really make people explore more? sure there are people who like to explore and try to complete those unsolved quests etc. and omglol, they are on top5 on explore plaque!

imho best ideas mentioned here atm are those somekind of permanent explorer titles and/or somekind of pdf rewards(pdf blessings are not THAT overpowered). and on top of that most explore rooms are secrets so that would at least make people do what the word 'explore' means: read the room descs, try to find out secrets and learn new areas.
DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT SHELBY OR I'LL FUCKING TRACK YOU DOWN AND KILL YOU WHEN YOUR SLEEPING MOTHER FUCKER
dracu
Supporting Member 2017

Post by dracu »

I have thought about it and i have to agree with Harlonus that atleast it shouldn't be made same as in Batmud or something else, after all this is Icesus, however gaining new titles with..let's say every other adjective in explore count would sound decent or those pdf bonuses would be nice too though titles should be made permanent but i have a feeling that whatever fixing/enhancing this exploring might need will end up in resetting explores which actually i don't mind that much though i don't know about others.

I do agree with Moraq that exploring in itself is a reward of somekind and atleast i love to explore areas even older areas because some of them are really made interesting.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

tarinanturinat

Post by solar »

Batmud's explore system works for newbies there because skill training does not cost money there, but level advancement does: and is cheap for lower levels.

However, on Icesus this goes the other way around.

If we were to add similar explore xpreward of 1/2xp*total_rooms_explored per non-virtual room, our newbies would just manage to get themselves killed with "lots" of exp on...

And true, exploring areas makes you familiar with them and you just might find the kind of area that is suitable for your lvl and class...

Rumour has it that almost every area has one or more 'secrets' in them, which are not noticed by Harlonus-type of explorers, because he does not read descs. These secret places seem, more often than not, have that special explore room tag as well, so if explore rewards are upped, it would become useful to try find those...
Internet tough guy

yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Re: tarinanturinat

Post by yoz »

solar wrote: Rumour has it that almost every area has one or more 'secrets' in them, which are not noticed by Harlonus-type of explorers, because he does not read descs. These secret places seem, more often than not, have that special explore room tag as well, so if explore rewards are upped, it would become useful to try find those...
says you who has shitloads less knowledge/skillz with the areas/eqmonsters in game than harlonus.
iluth

Post by iluth »

If exploring gave some skill, pathfinding or whatnot, those skills would just be lost on reinc anyway, wouldn't be much improvement on gaining 2k exp etc.

If exploring gave something permanent that might be worthwhile, a permanent skill raise, or a permanent wisdom modifier, or a ton of other things i cant think of looking at this problem from my perspective.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Re: tarinanturinat

Post by solar »

yoz wrote:
solar wrote: Rumour has it that almost every area has one or more 'secrets' in them, which are not noticed by Harlonus-type of explorers, because he does not read descs. These secret places seem, more often than not, have that special explore room tag as well, so if explore rewards are upped, it would become useful to try find those...
says you who has shitloads less knowledge/skillz with the areas/eqmonsters in game than harlonus.
I never claimed to know more than Harlonus, I merely (though failed to 'quote' it) referred to what he said about him exploring for experience points in his own post.

Apparently you failed to see what I intended to write about... maybe I should have used a bit more time to fool-proof my earlier post, which was not meant to be malevolent at all.

The message stays the same, though.
Internet tough guy

dracu
Supporting Member 2017

Post by dracu »

Yep something permanent would be much better than to gain something which will be lost in reinc anyway though what would it be then ?

Titles sounds good and/or PDF rewards, increasing selling prices to shops, gaining more exp when new explore room is entered, gaining more reputation, exploring related quests or combined requirement of explore and prestige to rebirth if it's going to happen someday.
moraq

Post by moraq »

In my opinion df/pdf rewards don't suit the best in this case. Why would the gods give a damn if a player explores or not?

Titles are very nice. But after a while, many, many players will have the new title. When it's too popular, it will lose the shine unfortunately. Maybe the explore leader could have an unique title, or a line in finger info. Besides that, there could be some "explore level" system in which you'd gain something fancy from, say, exploring 25% of explorable rooms. Something more fancy at 50% and 75% and then a zomg bonus at 100%.

Including explore and/or prestige to rebirth sounds absolutely fantastic. Then that option could be reserved to players that really do know something and really have done something. Anyone can do exp. We've seen that even monkeys are able to success in that here in icesus.