Wilder archers

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

klarh
Supporting Member 2008

Wilder archers

Post by klarh »

Although Misrobo isn't about at the moment, I don't guess it would hurt anything to throw some ideas out for wilder archers. I really really like this guild and there are a couple ideas that I think would be neat/nice to have in the guild. So, here we go...

- First and foremost, I (Of course) have to give ideas for soloing. Archery is a fairly important part in two guilds, the way I see it: rangers and wilders. No other guilds have a specific archery sub(Yes, royal archers is available to everyone except wilders, I know... But it's also considered a subguild of rangers, and you know that). Rangers can use move silently, hide in shadows, etc to solo with their archery, making a ranger archer a not-too-obsurd idea. However, wilder archers currently have nothing to use to be able to solo with archery beyond the first shot. Sure, you can just drag out your axe assuming you have the skills (and con) to take the mob, but so can rangers get out their sabres etc. Anyway, were wilder archers to solo I would think it would be in some way related to snap shot, since that's basically the only skill difference between ranger and wilder archers (Besides the wilders not being able to train the skills nearly as much... But they do fine anyway :)). Perhaps being able to throw out a quick snap shot in the heat of battle from the front row, maybe being able to include a snap shot in charging a mob, perhaps being allowed to use certain trolls (That don't tank!:wink:) from a certain area to get in snap shots. Snapshotting from the front row probably wouldn't be balanced if you just walk in, snapshot the mob, and walk out, but maybe you could squeeze one in depending on your snap shot skill and archery mastery. I think you get my point.

- Higher archery mastery to reduce the epcost of firing shots, if it doesn't already. Wilder archers fly through the ep because they shoot so fast; It makes sense that someone who's shot a bow several thousand times would have some idea of how to do it a bit less wastefully, eventually.

- The skill anatomy to help get in special shots. These could give more stuns, better wounds, etc because the archer would know where to aim for to get the best effect.

- Being able to use mortal blow and snap shot in conjunction. The archer could wait for the very split second that the enemy loses his concentration or focus and deliver a snap shot, much like mortal blow with an axe.

- In chanting for guidance, maybe being able to put arrows in the shrine like totems instead of guidance to just come upon the arrows in your inventory; it gets kind of obnoxious to have to bo^H^H move arrows constantly whenever you're guiding them.

These are just a few ideas I came up with; maybe I can come up with more (Chant for arrows of tornadoslash!) and post them later, and get flamed more!

Edit: Forgot to mention on that soloing part, maybe some mercenary-type NPC's that you can find/hire to papertank for you. The first and second ideas are probably more important/useful/balanced, I'm not really sure that wilder archers really need tons of +damage on the shots.
lipides
Supporting Member 2011

Post by lipides »

Just go get move silently from expert hunters if you REALLY want to solo with useless wilder
klarh
Supporting Member 2008

Post by klarh »

There's hardly enough move silently from hunters guild to be useful.
klarh
Supporting Member 2008

Post by klarh »

Here's another idea that would help wilders in normal exp parties. Since on a snap shot you aren't holding the string drawn as long (I assume you're just pulling it back to the correct spot and releasing the arrow), couldn't snap shots use less ep than a normal shot? Now that I look at it, it does seem kind of silly for it to take as much endurance to hold a bow drawn and aim just right as it does to just draw the bow and shoot instantly.

Or maybe a way to turn off snap shots for exping, although that would kind of make the guild pointless and turn any wilder archer into a ranger archer wannabe with bad skills.
solarin

Post by solarin »

I agree with Klarh on many points with this topic, wilder archers I would assume have taken a divergent path from there savage and brute cousins. They specialize in archery and since they are competion for rangers why cant they sneak and hide in shadows? Moreover wouldnt they be better at it than a ranger who has lived in civilization for a short period? Strictly hunting here or outdoors combat as is for rangers. There should be a slight change and maybe a downtune on indoor and or urban combat across the whole guild.
I won't get mad at you today, it's be kind to animals week.
torvus

Post by torvus »

While the conversation is mostly about soloing for wilders, there have also been several mentions of parties. Let us also hold into account the fact that a wilder can shield party members from damage, half the time saving weaker players [lowbie healers] from death. (To which I've personally benefitted from).

I disagree that wilders should get move silently, it isn't really anywhere near their specialty in my perspective. If anything they should get the oppritunity to snap a shot off from the front row. Perhaps using a skill like kick to push the mob away and quickly fire off a shot? (Not saying that 'every' skill attempt would fire off a shot...)
That way it wouldn't be able to be so easily abused as they would have to be in combat for a bit.
klarh
Supporting Member 2008

Post by klarh »

I, too, agree that wilders probably shouldn't get "move silently"... Not only would there not be a sub for it, but it severely imposes on ranger territory. Pushing a mob away with a kick or something and then snapping off a shot would work too... And you can't reload from the front row, so that would probably be a bit difficult to be "abuse" with.
aarmon

Post by aarmon »

But kicking, or respectively pushing, enemies back at frontrow is spartan combat style and ONLY works versus persians i, have heard. So a 'iceillions of persians, leaded by Xerxes himself' mob group has to be added to be consistent.

*Aarmon maxes his area spells meanwhile.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

why can't someone reload in the front row, if they are willing to take the damage and time, which would be longer since you are being hit and could be interrupted, like spells can be now... people should be able to reload in the front row, at least rangers and wilders with full archer levels should be able to.
klarh
Supporting Member 2008

Post by klarh »

Well, it has always struck me kind of odd that you can't do whatever-the-heck-you-want in front row since anyone with knowledge in a spell can weave complex magical forces/complete special rituals from there. :P
osma

Post by osma »

There should be a slight change and maybe a downtune on indoor and or urban combat across the whole guild
Are you talking about an indoor/urban penalty for rangers or wilders?

If you are talking about for wilders, that makes perfect sense, they are an outdoors guild.

If you are talking about rangers.... we already do. In fact, indoors we get a negitive 3% to whirling blades, and a penalty to other skills as well, when we are not in a natural area.

It would make perfect sense to apply this penalty (and outdoor bonus) to wilders as well. Unless you are going for the whole berserker barbarian idea, which are just "run in and fight" type of players. As in, they fight the same no matter where they are, rushing in and slashing animals the same way they do guards.
klarh
Supporting Member 2008

Post by klarh »

I'm pretty sure he was talking about wilders. That said, wilders are not rangers, nor really anything close. I don't think they should get anything, really, as far as benefits/penalties from being in OW etc go; that is what rangers do, and I hear they kind of suck at most everything else, so let them have it. :>

So... yeah. No outdoor bonuses/negatives for wilders.

But anyway, probably 1. a tune to be able to solo and 2. a tune to be able to party efficiently(Nobody wants me at least, because my ep goes down so fast from firing so many shots :P) are the only real things that are "necessary"... Assuming that wilder archers isn't just a guild for someone who's already maxed all the melee skills so they can get in a few "OMG YES" shots per run in wilder parties with mobs.

(And wilders are a bit hard to come by at times!)
daic
Supporting Member 2015

Post by daic »

Face it, wilders are so out now.
Maybe in time we will get those wilder parties running again.
Little Orcs, Burarum!
They come with axes, they come with fire, gnawing, biting, burning hacking, breaking!
Destroyers and usurpers curse them!
klarh
Supporting Member 2008

Post by klarh »

My point was that wilder archers should be useful in more than just wilder parties. :P

With a tune to snap shot's ep cost (which makes sense, I think?), wilders would be a great replacement for any other sort of archer in a party IMO.
solarin

Post by solarin »

I think if what klarh is claiming is true ;) then by all means they need the ep cost tuned down a little what would it hurt? Also that really would scare newbie wilders away from joining the guild...
:|
I won't get mad at you today, it's be kind to animals week.