Idling templars at guard duty

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

croli

Idling templars at guard duty

Post by croli »

There should be a (short) timeout for templars to check incoming players, after which one of the NPC guards whacks the templar on the head and does the checking himself (as they do when there's no templar around). This may be combined with reputation loss (guard duty is for reputation gain, right?) if necessary, but that is maybe a bit harsh (linkdeath and such).

So, what will it be? Do we *really* have to kill the templars to get into our own city? :twisted:
brich

actually

Post by brich »

<this sentence has been removed because of information sharing -Thoran>

fer example if Sriel would be templar and guarding, who would kill im huh?
yo brave !
odovacar
Supporting Member 2013

Re: actually

Post by odovacar »

brich wrote:<this sentence has been removed because of information sharing>...
Except for poor small races <sharing info also here>, but not too well (!) and poor newbies who don't know the way?
Last edited by odovacar on Sun May 09, 2004 15:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
iluth

Post by iluth »

in that case most of them couldn't kill your average templar anyway

it's mostly the high up templars who idle, becuase they can ;)
aaeli

triggers?

Post by aaeli »

I never understood why those idling templars didnt just set a trigger to let people in. I know with my client it is very easy to do.
harlonus
Supporting Member 2014

Post by harlonus »

'cos setting robots is illegal?
DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT SHELBY OR I'LL FUCKING TRACK YOU DOWN AND KILL YOU WHEN YOUR SLEEPING MOTHER FUCKER
grainer
Supporting Member 2015

Re: triggers?

Post by grainer »

aaeli wrote:I never understood why those idling templars didnt just set a trigger to let people in. I know with my client it is very easy to do.
Maybe because they've read 'help triggers' ;)
croli

Re: actually

Post by croli »

odovacar wrote:
brich wrote:<and some more info sharing>...
Except for poor small races <share share shaare> and poor newbies who don't know the way?
Exactly. Which is why I proposed the reputation loss, because the purpose of guard duty for templars is to gain reputation...

I know mid- or highbies would see PKing the idling templar as one possibility to enter Vaerlon, but since these idling templars "hurt" newbies, the PK-solution wouldn't help them. Ergo, the NPC guards should be recoded a bit :P

PS: I think you mean <tsatstattsaa sh4ree>, Odovacar.
astam
Supporting Member 2007

Post by astam »

There is more than one entrance to vearlon, and its very infrequent that a templar is at both gates.

Simply use the other gate...
odovacar
Supporting Member 2013

Post by odovacar »

astam wrote:There is more than one entrance to vearlon, and its very infrequent that a templar is at both gates.
Or all three.
Simply use the other gate...
You could just aswell say cast a personal dimensional rift and drift to the city.
Point is, why should I waste my horribly small amount of ep/sp/whatever because a templar idles in the gate?
When I was in the army they shot you for sleeping in guard duty!
Well.. not really shoot you, but spank you HARD!
Well.. not really hard, and not really spank, but you DID get punished.

Cheers
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

And it is rahter unfair, that a player would get something for nothig- good reputation for idling.
felgand

Idlers and Reputation Gain

Post by felgand »

After a certain period of time, if the templar is idle, they do not gain any reputation or credit for standing at the gate. So no, the templar does not gain something for nothing.

While we're on the subject of gate guarding...I've a peeve with folks that feel it's fun to try and spam enter the city while I'm guarding the gate. It doesn't speed things up in any way and it's a really quick way for me to get annoyed and just attack. So out of courtesy, don't spam, eh?
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

Templars, especially new ones, should remember that some of us run into the city with aliases like "6 n;nw;n" or even worse "5 e;se;5 e;se;5 e;ne;e;2 ne;3 e" so that first blast of spam isn't us being annoying, its more like us tripping over your giant steel boot of authority and tumbling to a halt.

Some day when all the other code in the world has been written, perhaps a throttle could be put on to only fire the message at most once a second.
brich

I am sorry for causin a leak of info

Post by brich »

I am sorry fer causin a leak of info...i got the wrong impression that hints are welcome... no offense but if a newbie gets incredible low rep in Vaerlon due to our beloved ereldon ...heh I'ld better suddup no? :cry:
thoran
Wizard

Post by thoran »

By all means, if a newbie asks on a channel how to get to vaerlon with bad rep...'tell' it to him. Info that is supposed to be somekind of secret doesn't belong to forums or channels.