New "consider" function

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

blaze

New "consider" function

Post by blaze »

I've used consider a couple of times and it was pretty useless. (got killed thanks to that) So a new consider function should be created. Basically, this "consider" method allows a person to compare his stats (hp,sp,ep,str,int,dex,wis,con,chrs) with the opponent he or she is planning to fight, that way one could decide to attack it or not.
klarh
Supporting Member 2008

Post by klarh »

With more skill, you can see more information. However, consider can't take into account monsters' combat specials etc.

Even so, comparing a mob's stats to a player's is quite useless. NPC's in general don't work quite the same in this area; compare killing a player, which takes just a couple or a few reasonably powerful spells/hits, to killing a reasonably powerful mob, which takes several of the same hits.

The information of the monster's power and whether they affect rep are the only useful parts of consider IMO... And reputation effects can usually be guessed.

Basically, it's your fault if you try to kill a mob that's too tough for you. Fleeing is easy anyway. :wink:
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

I added a line comparing the monster to your best solo kill. That might save some deaths when people say "A moose, and it is only average! I should be able to kill that."
suron

Post by suron »

Consider works just fine and after you "know yourself" its really accurate too. Coding a command that takes your class / skills / equipment into account would be really a bothersome task so they usually do the next best thing and tune the messages up a bit to meet the general player base. So bit of testing first and you are good to go. Just remember that the part about overall power is the key info learn to use it to your advantage, also as with most other skills higher skill% means higher accuracy/effect. So the difference between a skill of 10% (when you get it to work) and 100% are as different as night and day.
sraak

outworld area differences?

Post by sraak »

probably there are no differences between area monsters and outworld monsters?
consider as a skill has helped me many times in OW when facing new species.
goderic

Post by goderic »

If you got all the information you want at low levels, there wouldn't be any point in training and practicing the skill now, would there?
norfage
Supporting Member 2007

Re: New "consider" function

Post by norfage »

blaze wrote:I've used consider a couple of times and it was pretty useless. (got killed thanks to that) So a new consider function should be created. Basically, this "consider" method allows a person to compare his stats (hp,sp,ep,str,int,dex,wis,con,chrs) with the opponent he or she is planning to fight, that way one could decide to attack it or not.
hell yeah, you have a good idea coming here but why should we stop on stats, it should also give all the resists and the tactic on how the kill the mob in question too!

but lets be serious.
I agree that consider on it's current adjustment is rather useless if you dont have any clue about adjectives(help adjectives) I feel that the whole consider thing should be renewed to something like "compared to you this lol lol is far more experienced and dangerous than you" and so on cause no-one else than noobs use the consider skill anyways. This would really avoid those unwanted deaths around noobs when there would be a message which says that "YOU REALLY REALLY CANNOT KILL THIS MOB LOL" or something similar. better yet why not make the consider skill mandatory to all players under 20lvl so they would really consider that what they are killing. I really dont want anyone to die and give flowers to you all <3
TOTAL SUPREME ALKOHOLOKAUST 2008
solarin

Re: New "consider" function

Post by solarin »

norfage wrote:
blaze wrote:I've used consider a couple of times and it was pretty useless. (got killed thanks to that) So a new consider function should be created. Basically, this "consider" method allows a person to compare his stats (hp,sp,ep,str,int,dex,wis,con,chrs) with the opponent he or she is planning to fight, that way one could decide to attack it or not.
hell yeah, you have a good idea coming here but why should we stop on stats, it should also give all the resists and the tactic on how the kill the mob in question too!

but lets be serious.
I agree that consider on it's current adjustment is rather useless if you dont have any clue about adjectives(help adjectives) I feel that the whole consider thing should be renewed to something like "compared to you this lol lol is far more experienced and dangerous than you" and so on cause no-one else than noobs use the consider skill anyways. This would really avoid those unwanted deaths around noobs when there would be a message which says that "YOU REALLY REALLY CANNOT KILL THIS MOB LOL" or something similar. better yet why not make the consider skill mandatory to all players under 20lvl so they would really consider that what they are killing. I really dont want anyone to die and give flowers to you all <3

Oh ok so its not a good thing to help new players when they start out? That is what the consider skill is for if you haven't played for 10 years and you are not a lvl 80ish super akdives you probably dont know that a cave fisher or a carrion crawler will kill you at lvl 10. Ah the self-centeredness of some on this game.. :cry:

personally I like the Diku version of consider "the Gods will thank you for your gift."
I won't get mad at you today, it's be kind to animals week.
hors
Supporting Member 2009

Post by hors »

Consider command used to give you and still gives an adjective of how the mob strong is. If someone has not looked upon the help file - the adjectives are listed below with a rough estimate of a mob's exp:

extremely lacking
completely lacking
anemic
extremely weak
very weak

(all above should be below 1k or slightly more)

then goes

weak 1k-3k
somewhat weak - 3k-6k
below average 5k-12k
average 10k -25k
above average 20k-50k
somewhat strong 40k - 100k
strong 80k-200k

rest of the mobs is not very easy to solo even for not a newbie

very strong
extremely strong
mighty
exceptionally mighty
unsurpassed

(and the last 3 adjectives is a different story at all.)

Consider comand does not take into acount whether a mob can cast - but usually you figure this out after the first blast.

Concering resistances - mobs below the strong rarely have high resistances.

So, after a few days of playing everyone should know what to expect from a mob, even without that additional line misrobo had added.

If this is not enogh what other information do you think consider should give out about a mob? and why?
eysenc
Supporting Member 2011

Post by eysenc »

Consider works just fine the way it is but some suffix not to spam always so many lines would be nice since usually it's only important to know the adjective how strong the mob is.