Idea: Dark Elf quest

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

khazadhum

Idea: Dark Elf quest

Post by khazadhum »

Okay some may think this is whining, and it may be....and some may say if I don't like it then pick another race, yeah I suppose I could...and others may say that there are open subguilds that provide skills that would do the same thing, yeah that's true...and still others will say there is eq to take care of the problem, and I agree that is so.

But....I would like to see a quest, specifically for dark elves, that either allows them an autoloading orb of darkness, or gives them the innate ability to permanently darken an item. It could be a newbie quest, since those light sucking amulets can be expensive for newbies. Once it's done they forever gain an orb of darkness. Just another way to avoid the harmful UV rays. Or a mid level quest that allows you the same ability as the open subguild to darken an item that lasts through reboot and as you gain levels you can darken more objects..say under level 30 you can do 1.....31 to 60 you can do 2....and 61 and above you can do 3.

My response to those arguments in the first paragraph would be that I like dark elves, the subguild that offers the skill to darken an item means taking away from my primary guild/subguilds, and the eq that is darkened is hard to find and may take up a slot I could otherwise use for better eq...the amulet is a good example but I have seen helmets and belts that are dark but I lose some of the bonuses on the eq I have now.

Other options instead of the above mentioned quest would be that simply having the amulet in inventory and not needing to be worn would work. Allow mages to cast ball of darkness on others, this would still give a floating ball of darkness for reboot and all that would be required would be to find a mage willing.

So you see I am quite flexible here, am just looking for a way to allow myself more dark eq without sacrifing valuable eq slots.

I am done....flame away.
osma

Post by osma »

1. Many items reduce darkness, even when within a container (i have about 6 items in my backpack that make the backpack quite dark, although not dark enough yet).

2. Using DnD ideas, it is perfectly reasonable to allow higher level Dark elves to be able to cast Orb of Darkness as an innate racial ability (race cast Orb of Darkness). However, a) Icesus is not Dnd, and b) by the time you get to that level, you can easily afford a darkness amulet and/or darkness eq.

3. I DO think it would be an intresting idea to have a quest (dont know what level it would be) that would give the reward of removing Dark elf sun damage (maybe also able to make a sin cape no longer deal sun damage) until the next reinc. This quest would have to be redone every Dark Elf reinc, and might require some form of cash penality (you have to buy a rare ingredient that cost 100k/1m) but would allow all the benifits of being a Dark Elf without the annoyance of getting hurt all the time.
allanon

Post by allanon »

osma wrote:1. Many items reduce darkness, even when within a container (i have about 6 items in my backpack that make the backpack quite dark, although not dark enough yet).

*snip*

3. I DO think it would be an intresting idea to have a quest (dont know what level it would be) that would give the reward of removing Dark elf sun damage (maybe also able to make a sin cape no longer deal sun damage) until the next reinc. This quest would have to be redone every Dark Elf reinc, and might require some form of cash penality (you have to buy a rare ingredient that cost 100k/1m) but would allow all the benifits of being a Dark Elf without the annoyance of getting hurt all the time.
Few things to add to that...

1. You can always get an alchemist to permanently darken some of your eq. It's not cheap, no, but then you don't have to worry about bonus or hitslot.

3. But that's too good if you already got the money, takes away one of the larger disadvantages of the race. Rather than just requiring cash, it would be better if it had some sort of upkeep, sort of like a blessing. For example, you lose X divine favor/tick that you are in bright enough light. Alternatively make it last for a certain number of hours, and weaken or wear off eventually. Then you've got to go repeat the quest.

By the way, race-tailored quests like this would be a nice idea, if there was ones available for all races.

Another thought: perhaps the sun-damage could be negated a bit for newbies, in the same way that skill Chirurgy/First Aid (forget which) has a higher success rate for them for a little while, due to grace of Pthuule, etc etc. Maybe just 10 levels or such. That ought to be enough time to afford at least a dark amulet.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 160 character limit.
khazadhum

Post by khazadhum »

I didn't know there were items you could put in a bag to help darken, I would sure like to find some, but that would be a great help.

As for alchemists, its darn hard to find one who can do it and then one who is willing and my god the price they charge to do it.

Yeah we aren't D&D, but what about mages then being able to cast orb of darkness on someone rather than just themselves. That would give a floating, permanent for the boot light source.

What about element quests then. A priest representing each element has a quest you can do with a choice of items. The fire priest could give as reward an autoloading ball of light/darkness. Helps everybody out without being a huge unbalance game wise and is something everyone can use. Perhaps each priests item is a floating item that helps out in some way. Air could be a floatie that adds a small increase to hpr or epr. Earth could be a floatie for epr or that widens your viewing area in outworld. Water could be...I don't know something else. Gives small benefits for doing them, gives a choice of reward, items are autoloading.
klarh
Supporting Member 2008

Post by klarh »

Mages being able to cast orbs on others doesn't sound too unreasonable.

However, not all races are made for newbies.
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

klarh wrote:However, not all races are made for newbies.

Exactly. Dark elves are not made to be a superb newbie race. Even though they have superior stats, i would never make one as low levels because of the light annoyance and especially poor physical regens.

We have already enough of all the darkness thingies. And if you want to play a dark elf you just have to deal with it.
allanon

Post by allanon »

Oh, and some people seem to be forgetting that it *was* possible to cast Orb of Light and Orb of Darkness and give it to others, for a brief period of time. However this turned out to be imbalanced, people would rather pay big money (up to 10k wasn't unheard of) for a nice unremovable Orb than buy a bunch of bulky torch/nether torch.

So that wouldn't work unless it was tuned a bit.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 160 character limit.
odovacar
Supporting Member 2013

Post by odovacar »

allanon wrote:Oh, and some people seem to be forgetting that it *was* possible to cast Orb of Light and Orb of Darkness and give it to others, for a brief period of time. However this turned out to be imbalanced, people would rather pay big money (up to 10k wasn't unheard of) for a nice unremovable Orb than buy a bunch of bulky torch/nether torch.

So that wouldn't work unless it was tuned a bit.
Perhaps time-cap it like shadow barrier on non dancers?
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.