tunes to profession levels and skinning

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

khade
Supporting Member 2013

tunes to profession levels and skinning

Post by khade »

It appears to me that professions have a slight problem, by level 100 we would in theory have 20 profession levels to distribute but there are far too many levels in most of then or an arbitrary amount of levels in some. My suggesting is to consolidate some of those levels and remove some of the overlapping skills:

Carpenters currently have 12 or 15 levels which could be realistically cut down to 4 easily, Loggers is 5 which could be cut to 1 level which with the Carpenters would equal 5 levels for that skill path. Survivalists is currently 3 levels, Hunters and Fishers are 3 levels each too, for a total of 9 levels, that could be cut to 5 levels, 1 for survival and 2 each for Hunters and Fishers, remove skinning from Survivalists, since it isn't a matter of survival and it should work as a 1 level open guild. Riders and Merchants look OK at 5 levels, Leatherworkers looks fine at 4 levels and Dragonscale Crafters have 3 levels which is decent, we could possibly add another 3 level Leathercrafting subguild to go with that skill path to keep things even. Alchemists might be able to be cut from 8 levels to 5 while keeping the same amount of bonuses if they are gotten with normal levels. I think this is all the profession subs right now.

On skinning, as I mentioned before, I think it should be taken out of survivalists, the success rate and learn by doing rate should be sharply brought up.

I will add more ideas after these are looked at, as I have several.
brich

Post by brich »

Carpenters are worth more levels then 4. I'ld say 10 levels in total including the loggers abilities (not the actual levels). Maybe put some timbering skills in masters of timber and temporarly remove/replace decorators and toolwrights. This should work untill some form of artisans is resurrected. As per stat bonuses, we are talking profession so it shouldnt be too much ( a trifle here and there but not over the top, no?).

Survivalists, hunters and fishers are traditional stuff and everybody knows their just for show. Something Yaska or Croli would master and then show off, yes?

Riders should definetly not be profession, their too much battle stuff.

Merchant really need less levels or better stuff (like bigger booths omg! same stuff it was said many years before the artisans and get rid of the "fail miserably" result for appraise zomg!).

I tried dragonscalers some years ago so things might've changed but adding levels to leathercrafters is a bit much. Removing tailoring ability would be quite suitable as there's no equivalent in place for heavy armoury.

Alchemists, just like carpenters are way too overpowered to reduce requirements too much. I'ld vote for the wis requirement or membership of priesthood/mages.

Just my 50 cents.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

professions

Post by solar »

The way I see it, you're not supposed to get all profession guilds to max. This way, people get to (well, if all the profession guilds supported masteries) specialize. And maybe rely on each other for a change.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

I might not have been very clear on this, but I agree that you shouldn't be able to master all of them, part of my idea is to consolidate them into units of 5 or 10 level blocks and add several other profession paths. If possible, I would like to see the smiths brought back as one of those, 5 levels for geologist miner and whatever that other part was called and 5 levels for the actual smithing part, or really any combination that combined equals 10 levels. Another important thing for the smiths would be to be able to hire npc miners to keep a constant supply of material, though likely lower then what dedicated players could get.

Other ideas I had for possible skill paths were animal trainers, farmers, sailors, explorers, horse breeders, brewers and bakers, to just throw stuff out.

I put riders in there because they were in the list of profession subs. Also note that if carpenters were cut by several levels, the bonuses for actually getting the levels not by profession would have to but cut accordingly, though the carpentry skill path could probably fit in 10 levels too.

Something I would add to the leatherworkers would be another subguild that works with gems or maybe with the other skins you can get, feathers chitin and the like.

Incidentally, some of those skill paths I mentioned were put in by other people, but now we have the capacity to actually use them, I think.
torvus

Post by torvus »

Sweet. If Loggers gets reduced to one level, then you should need 100% Knowledge of trees to join!

As for hiring Npc Miners, that sounds cool. But you have to offer them workplace insurance plans and pay their families if the roof accidentally collapses; you dig into a river, etc etc etc

Farmers are part way through coding, not sure if the idea has died though.

Sailors need ships, and Jarrun's been waiting on those for years.

Explorers? Well, I personally always thought an attempt to go out past the volcanoes protecting the Valley would be interesting. But other then that, what are you going to find? :/

Anyways, I'm off track. Understand that there were already a lot of level reductions, and that a few months ago if you wanted to join loggers; you would have to use a real level.

More reductions and easier access to profession levels are not needed imho.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

well, the only way to learn knowledge of trees is to join loggers, so that would end up being a catch22 if joining the loggers required you to have knowledge of trees at 100.
torvus

Post by torvus »

My Sarcasm was lost on you :(
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

Sarcasm is hard in a text format. I actually sound exactly the same when I try to use sarcasm in conversation, so I have kind of stopped looking for it elsewhere. Plus, I think I was tired when I read your comments. Does knowledge of trees help with damage vs an awakened tree?

Don't worry, I will be back on subject later.
iluth

Post by iluth »

The skinning LBD rate i'm pretty sure was whacked on by Echcua, and either none of the other wizards have gotten around to putting it back to slightly learnable, or it's working as intended. I wouldn't really be surprised if it is working as intended however, since it's about the only skill which makes survivalists/leatherworkers worth taking at all. Now we have profession levels it's kinda a non issue.

You can generate quite a bit of cash from skinning if you're a hardcore hunter, so i dont think it's unreasonable that you should pay for it, instead of lbding it up to 100 in a week or so. It's a cheap skill to pay for anyway.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Post by solar »

iluth wrote:You can generate quite a bit of cash from skinning if you're a hardcore hunter, so i dont think it's unreasonable that you should pay for it, instead of lbding it up to 100 in a week or so. It's a cheap skill to pay for anyway.
Except that learning skills by doing gives a bonus to the next, real, reinc. >:)
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.