Defend Vaerlon *coughPK* event

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

phadreous
Supporting Member 2012

Defend Vaerlon *coughPK* event

Post by phadreous »

A simple event that removes bad rep from killing Vaerlon guards for a period, maybe an hour. This essentially allows raids on Vaerlon for whoever wants to, and assiting vaerlon guards for whoever wants. The catch, once you attack a guard or defender you are, for that hour, a raider and can be attacked on sight when in Vaerlon. If you attack a raider you are, for that hour a defender and get bad rep for attacking guards for the remainder of the event. (no side flipping) Any kills outside of Vaerlon would be punishable under normal pk rules. The goal for the raiding team would be to get to Ereldon, the goal for defenders would be to prevent anyone from getting to Ereldon for the hour. Perhaps if it wasn't too hard neutral players could claim their neutrality and be immune to any area spells and such they could walk into during the event and defenders could invite guards to parties and use area spells, just could not forcefollow guards as 20 guards at the gate would be a bit unbalanced. Possibly each member of the winning team could get some small prize.

Inspired by Kerral, Iluth, Simius, and Brich raid on Vaerlon with Tanatos, Falbarel, Gerdan, Mauro, and Psy defending. Sorry if I left anyone out, I was camp healing raiders so did'nt actually see any of the action and therefore didn't give myself credit either. I would have liked to have joined the party, but cant afford the bad rep. Thanks to Moraq for the cool pretitles!
solar
Supporting Member 2020

regarding raiding

Post by solar »

Well, there's pkstuff involved, but it seems a bit disfavourable for the defenders, as the raiders can suddenly start killing, and at the end, get to sell the loot.

On the other hand, the defenders usually get to draw the first blood.

What would be more interesting, in my opinion, would be to spawn extra guardsmen to the streets, and give raiding players some npc raiders to their parties, then modify the 'severed head' code to recognize simple things such as:

Original monster filepath, level, time of decapitation, who decapitated it, who were in his/her party when it was done and such. (then include this information in porelin's trophies)

This way we could keep some sort of score table. And by taking the decapitator's party into account, even the non-blasting support characters would get their score.

Then throw in the stereotypical 'who killed the most, who was killed the most, who received most damage, who dealt most damage' kind of information bits.

(Hell, this kind of an event would be great for wilders/shadowdancers, a headhunt of sorts. Their score based on the highest level head they bring back etc.)

But yeah, if nether effects were removed from city raiding, this could be very entertaining.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
comas
Supporting Member 2007

Post by comas »

ooo this actually sounds so interesting.... i always wanted to be able to raid cities..

Now were would epriest minions fit into this...
I mean if an ep with a lvl 5 ethereal , and 2 front row highbies ( like those that win gladiator event) make a party, they can easily rape all in V ( add a midbie healer and i doubt ere can take it)

But the general idea is great, although i would like to see some limitation on the party size, just so that you can see some variation in the event winners.
PEBKAC
torvus

Post by torvus »

Comas, you're thinking too... Expish. A Ethereal and a few tanks aren't going to live very long if an invisible mage enters room and casts tornado while you're in a fight. There goes your level 5 minion, no?
dwo

Post by dwo »

Psy wasnt defending :E or even attacking..Was just cheering on chat :E and you left me out. Even tought i was the in the first three to start defending the city
I rule u suck! thats how its ment to be.
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

comas wrote:ooo this actually sounds so interesting.... i always wanted to be able to raid cities..

Now were would epriest minions fit into this...
I mean if an ep with a lvl 5 ethereal , and 2 front row highbies ( like those that win gladiator event) make a party, they can easily rape all in V ( add a midbie healer and i doubt ere can take it)
Earthpriests are totally useless in anything that involves pvp.

Ereldon can take anything, because of the fact that it heals itself to exce when hes taken down to nigs.

Otherwise to the idea itself. It is too simple and too many things haven't been taken into consideration. Inviting guards in party wouldnt be a good idea. How would you prevent people from coming to ereldon ? :D

But definatley we need more pvp. I would love some kind of a team capture the flag events inside cities which would turn the city that is as a target into pvp zone for several hours.

Or someone could code graemor some kind of a system like that which can be activated any time. Could also encourage people who arent in the "event itself" to come there and try to gank/stalk through the ones who compete.

But anyways, with few modifiers this idea could be decent.
moraq

Post by moraq »

While additional "cross faction" content would certainly be nice, I'm not sure it would be best to make Vaerlon the arena of constant (or even oft) battles. The reputation loss suffered keeps the raids from becoming too regular, I think.

Like it or not, Vaerlon is the center of Icesus universe, and is always filled with people. Not everyone wishes to participate and certainly should there be events that encourage the killing of guards, accidental and "accidental" deaths of those not willing would happen.

It's not really fair to tell those people idling around the city to go away either, as it is, and has always been, THE single area in game. :)

I was thinking of creating an arena for party versus party battles, where you could select a different map (be it outdoors or indoors, large or small) to fight in. Maybe even phase out the... ahem, "design limited" arena we currently have with it at some point.
comas
Supporting Member 2007

Post by comas »

well that also sounds nice, its true that Vaerlon is the center of icesus, so it would be good to move this kind of idea away from it, it is even helpfull towards the decentralization that should happen . Party arena event could be nice.
PEBKAC
brich

Post by brich »

If you want to defend and peekay alot, select hoetown Atherton: problem solved. Not too much atherton rep loss for attackers (even if...who cares?). Plenty of action available. Quite inexistant chance to slaughter innocent (if there's a nab there, I'm prolly scavanging).

Wizzies could add or strengthen the existing guards to increase difficulty. Would be nifty if they were scaled from very weak at the gates to extremely strong near the channeler so further they raiders advance, the tougher and more rewarding it gets.

Anyhow, leave vaerlon alone you maniacs!
phadreous
Supporting Member 2012

Post by phadreous »

Point taken. Vaerlon is certainly not the ideal place, but the idea still sounds fun. The alternate cities is good, I'm dodging people every time I go to alchemist guild anyway. Not sure I would be willing to put up with paying entry fees in Vaerlon for the possibility of defending another city though. A new arena is a great idea. Maybe so groups could challenge each other and the occasional event to encourage parties to pause exping long enough to participate.

My deepest apologies again Dwo, I knew I would leave someone out as it was 2am and i was on the sidelines. Kudos for jumping in there early.
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

To be honest arena wouldn't propably do much good for this game. There are like max 5 players/week using the arenas at the moment. I'd like to have more useful pvp like danger zones (ie. graemor) and such where the one who enters should stay on his heels all the time because the possible danger could lie behind the next corner.

Arenas will most propably never work in this game. Since the pvp is just horrible and no one puts any effort to it because "it does not fit in the game" or some ancient flowerpower rulings made by some nameless older wizards.

Arenas wouldn't fit for parties either, the partyformations and such kind of ruins that aspect. Basically two parties fighting each other would end in the moment when one's healer dies or when one gets the biggest areaspell through and there is no real way in preventing that to happen. Everyone should be an invidual at the arena. They could fight for teams ofcourse, but having party setups just would not work.

Running on these previously mentioned danger areas could be encouraged, you'd gain more exp or something at the same time that you put yourself in a position that you might and will eventually be killed by another player. I'd rather see all those pvp actions to happen between inviduals in normal areas like cities, old graemor, street of new graemor, cendoiss and vekkak (maybe too simple for anything like this) or atherton. Moving some normal events to these areas to start actual manhunts would be lovely too.

Most fun pvping i've had has been propably the dancer events, and rest is just random ganking or some totally useless crap. (like arena)

Some content for players who want to be involved in pvp action constantly wouldn't hurt either. Some kind of an bountyhunter system. Assassinations for shadowdancers.

Currently wilder shrines are the only thing that might get you involved in some random pvp, and the system itself is extremely flawed.

Now that i got myself ranting here are few other things that heavily involves pvp that could be looked into while at it.

PVP Damage and such. All player vs player damage should just be halved or less to make pvp actual game of skill than just strokes of luck. Even if you flee, someone can pound 1000 hps off you with two hits.

Give me some kind of an player killer system which would prevent people from leaving possible threath situation if they have been involved in it by starting it (ld/saferooms/entering your room should be made impossible for a certain period of time after the accident occured). Where players who mark themselves as playerkillers or whatever could fight each other as much as they want for glory and dicksize.

I hate to say this, but this game will propably never have any decent pvp content :(