Weapon maintenance

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

osma

Weapon maintenance

Post by osma »

Weapon maintenance, i have been told, is a very good skill in that it increases damage and speed/accuracy of weapons in melee or archery combat. all well and good. However, it is a long skill that annoys me because i dont know how often it is useful. do i use it every few min, or every hour.

Suggestion is as follows: Make a line in the description, perhaps after
It is of good quality, and it is as good as new.
that would say something like this.
The string is slightly/badly/almost completly worn
The edge of the blade is a bit/quite/very dull
The head of the hammer is slightly/somewhat/badly dented
solar
Supporting Member 2020

regarding weapon maintenance

Post by solar »

The weapon maintenance gives a message when it wears off. You can see this message when you try to perform maintenance on a weapon that still has the bonuses, as it'll replace the shadow on the weapon, giving off the expiration message.

For melee weapons, each attack reduces the duration by 1, and when the duration goes down to 0, the shadow wears off. The duration seems to be x times your skill%.

However, I'm not sure if the same formula applies to ranged weapons.

My hunch is that performing maintenance on a weapon and/or shield also improves its defensive capability, like how effectively it parries.

Maybe few % of the skill should be given to basic infantry of Army, it would make sense for them to have it. Would provide something fancy and flashing for the newbies to drool on, since most newbies are advised to join it as their first guild. Was there a lvl requirement on the Seaguard? I cannot remember.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
osma

Post by osma »

You carefully adjust the string on large, divinely crafted composite bow and go through it to make it perfect for shooting again.

I did weapon maintenance on my bow twice (50%) and got this message both times. as a check, i did it to my sword 3 times, and got the sharpening message each time. fail?
zohlor
Supporting Member 2019

Post by zohlor »

osma wrote:You carefully adjust the string on large, divinely crafted composite bow and go through it to make it perfect for shooting again.

I did weapon maintenance on my bow twice (50%) and got this message both times. as a check, i did it to my sword 3 times, and got the sharpening message each time. fail?
Check before that " You carefully adjust the string on large, divinely crafted composite bow and go through it to make it perfect for shooting again." ....

Should see something like 'Your sword of ultimate newbieism is in need of maintenance' or something like that.
You see us comin'
And you all together run for cover
We're taking over this town
iluth

Post by iluth »

The prompt you get about the weapon needing maintenance is not a bug I think. You will only get that when trying to maintain a weapon which doesn't need it. (or when it actually runs out mid-battle) I guess the reason is that weapon maintenance removes the "sharp" status from a weapon, so it can refresh the duration properly.

Setting up a trigger to send some lited message to party status will tip you off when your weapon needs maintaining.

However that line did reveal a different bug, I'm not sure if it's with throwing weapons or weapon containers such as bandoliers and weapon sheaths, I've only tested so far on throwing daggers and bandoliers. But adding a maintained throwing dagger to a bandolier removes the "sharp" status from it.

You can test this by putting a maintained weapon into a weapon sheath, taking the weapon out and trying to maintain it again, you should not get the prompt about the weapon maintenance if you do.

I'm pretty bad at explaining things so I'll give an example of when I tried to maintain my sword twice in a row, and then my throwing dagger twice, after it had gone into a bandolier.
You carefully sharpen the bladed edges of your frozen sliver of iceron <deep white glow> until it looks shiny and new.

Your frozen sliver looks like it could use some maintenance. (prompt)
party report frozen sliver needs maintenance
You carefully sharpen the bladed edges of your frozen sliver of iceron <deep white glow> until it looks shiny and new.
You carefully sharpen the bladed edges of your meteoric dagger called 'shooting star' <deep red glow> until it looks shiny and new.
You put the meteoric dagger called 'shooting star' <deep red glow> into a dagger belt of the unseen assassin.

You get the meteoric dagger called 'shooting star' <deep red glow> from a dagger belt of the unseen assassin.

(wtf no prompt)
You carefully sharpen the bladed edges of your meteoric dagger called 'shooting star' <deep red glow> until it looks shiny and new.
osma

Post by osma »

perhaps i have missunderstood something, but what i am trying to say is that maintenance on a weapon should stick. yet no matter how many times in a row (without fighting inbetween) i still can work on my weapon over and over again and it says the same thing.

why would my weapon look like it could use some maintence if i JUST did that.
iluth

Post by iluth »

osma wrote:perhaps i have missunderstood something, but what i am trying to say is that maintenance on a weapon should stick. yet no matter how many times in a row (without fighting inbetween) i still can work on my weapon over and over again and it says the same thing.

why would my weapon look like it could use some maintence if i JUST did that.
When you use weapon maintenance it adds a temporary status to your weapon, which lasts for x amount of melee hits, lets say 2000 hits before weapon maintenance runs out. When you use weapon maintenance on a weapon which is still maintained, the skill first removes the old status and replaces it with a fresh one, this is actually visible to the player.
osma

Post by osma »

ahh. thanks.