New and "exciting" uses for incense.

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

nihil
Supporting Member 2007

New and "exciting" uses for incense.

Post by nihil »

I've always thought that incenses should be of more use than to just one guild and their regen spells. So I figured I'd create a topic where everyone can throw out ideas for new spells to make the after all quite nice mechanic that incenses are more useful and "fun". I'll start off with a few loose ideas.

Fire priests:
The recent tune to decree of tranquility requires either a campfire or a consecrated ground. I feel that holy water can be exclusive to water priests and that fire priests could instead get an incense spell called "soothing/calming/opium smoke of Zrammaz" or whatever that would have the exact same effect, enabling preaching, but give it some flavor of it's own instead of copying water priests!

Earth priests:
Likewise for earth priests maybe they could get an incense spell that in combination with conjure altar would make the altar stay put for the duration of the smoke. This would let them create mobile sanctuaries where their minion upkeep would be lessened or removed just like a real altar. I don't think this would be too much of a wicked uptune for them, and would make their lives a bit easier - especially for noobs.

Ideas, comments and bashing are welcome.
dracu
Supporting Member 2017

Post by dracu »

Are boogies welcome? :O
Embracing the darkness is the only solution to this madness.
nihil
Supporting Member 2007

Post by nihil »

dracu wrote:Are boogies welcome? :O
I hate you.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

What if incense even without the spells increases the regen rate very slightly? Would that make more people use it?

Incense could be made to help in some manner all the caster guilds and monks too. Monks could use it while meditating to increase the speed that they charge their rune, infecti could probably use it to help still their minds and better repair their psyche, mages could maybe use it to increase regen (kind of boring), coven could get some sort of corrupt rituals that it assists with, sorcerers could maybe use it for regen and have it temporarily remove the basic drain from their spirits with a spell. And all guilds could maybe use it to help focus in non combat skills, either that or suffocate.
nezen
Supporting Member 2017

Post by nezen »

What if incense even without the spells increases the regen rate very slightly? Would that make more people use it?
Lack of people using incenses isn't really the issue here and as for your first question.. Yes, i think everyone would use those. The way you described them is an easy-to-get, practically free way of speeding up regens. I really don't think thats going to happen.
Incense could be made to help in some manner all the caster guilds and monks too. Monks could use it while meditating to increase the speed that they charge their rune
No.. just.. no
infecti could probably use it to help still their minds and better repair their psyche
I actually liked this one. Creating a more relaxed atmosphere with an incense seems like a good way to improve your meditation and thus your mental integrity. However toying around with herbs to create incense doesn't really fit the guild theme. Maybe alchemists could make those.
mages could maybe use it to increase regen (kind of boring), coven could get some sort of corrupt rituals that it assists with, sorcerers could maybe use it for regen and have it temporarily remove the basic drain from their spirits with a spell. And all guilds could maybe use it to help focus in non combat skills, either that or suffocate.
Mages incense would be exactly like the one air priests have. A NO to this one

Remove spdrain from spirits with an incense? Oh i bet sorcerers would love this one. Too bad its not gonna happen, totally out of tune :(

I wont even comment on covens.

If new incenses are added how will they work? Do they stack? Because that doesn't make sense to me and if they don't mostly nothing else would be used than air priest ones. Imho if new type of incenses are brought into the game they shouldn't be something you use while regening because we already have those (even if their effects would be different),they should be something you bring to combat with yourself. I actually see some demand for those, whatever their effects will be.

I didn't actually have any ideas myself but..
Ideas, comments and bashing are welcome.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Let's smoke this shit!

Post by solar »

I totally agree with Nihil. (Except for the use of it's as its, bashity bash!)

Of course, ismokeob can only have one effect that enchants it at the same time (or she's gonna blow! *crash*). So it's either or... or something.

Would make incense censer 'useful to other guild' as well.

Just consider the balance issues if incenses can be enchanted to serve as both a catalyst for preaching AND speed up regens. We might not really want that.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
nihil
Supporting Member 2007

Post by nihil »

What can I say, spending all my free time with finnish people has ruined my grammar.

And yes, there would probably never be a party situation where other smoke spells would be preferred over smoke of restoration. These new spells would however be useful while soloing, something earth priests always do and fire priests sometimes do, or while using a def to throw behind without a healer.

I strongly object to incenses being used to speed up regens overall.

My ideas were mainly thought up as flavor things, and to fit with the priestly themes of the guilds. Uptunes are not necessary for the game, quite the contrary!