Idea for psychic characters and classes

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

khade
Supporting Member 2013

Idea for psychic characters and classes

Post by khade »

I recently had an idea regarding the psionic groups in the game, specifically beholders, infecti and the inborn psionicists.

The idea was a 5 level subguild that is similar to the hive, it gives the ability to choose psionic "knacks" that can benefit the psion. The player would get 1 or 2 points per level and would use those to buy a special psychic ability.

The inborn psionicist can get 1 level in the subguild, the beholder can get 3 and and infecti can get all 5.

A knack is a specialty psychic ability honed and perfected by the character.

Knacks I've thought of are:

Subtle Mind : Makes your probes exceptionally hard to detect and gives a small chance of psychic attacks not being noticed once before battle starts. Costs 1 point, can't be used with pointed thoughts.

Pointed Thoughts : Makes your probes and psychic attacks stronger and makes it easier to probe stronger enemies. Costs 1 point, can't be used with subtle mind.

Telekinetic Durability : Focuses your telekinetic abilities to hold your body together, making it harder to damage you. Costs 1 or 2 points.

Telekinetic Wield : Allows you to wield a weapon effectively with your mind, probably doesn't give stat boosts, regen boosts or resists but does give damage bonuses, speed bonuses and accuracy bonuses. If you aren't wielding anything it might sometimes use telekinetic thrust against an enemy, power based on telekinetic thrust and associated skills or unarmed skills if the character doesn't have those. The weapon size you can wield is determined by intelligence. You can buy another wield for double the cost of the first. Costs 1 point for first hand, 2 for second, if third is possible, then it would cost 4, not even an infecti could get the points to get 4 telekinetic wields.

Telekinetic Flight : Allows you to fly at will when outside, uses some psp and ep. Costs 2 to 4 points, depending on how many points are possible.

Enhanced Strength/Dexterity/Charisma : Increases stat by 5 for each point used, can only use 5 points total in this.

People are free to suggest other knacks, if they have any ideas.

I don't know if this idea would actually work, or easy to code or what, but I think it could be useful and fun to use.
eysenc
Supporting Member 2011

Post by eysenc »

Idea about adding more abilities for psionicists is fine, thought I would rather had them as new expensive spells/skills which to train than those knacks where you have to spend your level exp. This is because in psis there isn't that much where to spend skill exp but always much demand for new levels until you get full main, chronos and secs +from somewhere hive levels for bugs. Beholders could get some extra slots for a start so they would more close to playable race. Most of those knacks would be way too good for just couple levels (or trainable spells/skills), like ability to swing 5 weapons altogether, evoke extra offensive spell before mob even notices (one maelstrom can deal quite a lot of damage) or get +5 to some stat.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

So specialized abilities that you can buy using guild exp/normal exp? That could work, though I don't have any ideas today. Though it would probably be useful to have some for each guild, and some sort of limit so that you can't have all of them, or the cost increasing by a factor of 10 each time?