Leaders among playerbase

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

solar
Supporting Member 2020

Leaders among playerbase

Post by solar »

A quick idea, once again spawned somewhere in the unfathomable recesses of my wretched mind while stretching the very limits of muscular control to pop out the last piece of poop.

Leaders! What an ungrateful job! To drag around people with one too many thumbs up their arses and another in their nostril! Wait when it behooves the followers to actually enter rift, or crawl into the secret exit or some such!

Yet, leading has its own rewards - for the rest of the playerbase, we could use a carrot!

Yes! Give some small but fancy rewards to uberleaders among playerbase, make them lead exp and prestige monsters to climb the ladder to eternal fame of doom!

In other words: Two ladders.

First one: Accumulate points according to how much exp your party followers earn! Get access to some not so exculsive freebie stuff at certain thresholds, some at a cooldown intervals! Dunno about the milestones, but let's say that after the first 200m, a leader of this stature could go to a npc and get one free regular incense block per boot! Isn't that nice, no longer need to facepalm that much when your lazy ass healer runs out, or hasn't bothered to restock? What else could there be, hmm? At 500m, earn a novelty water flask that takes less space despite holding the regular amount of liquid! Now watch those jaws drop as they see you carrying this bad boy around - no longer needing to be burdened during combat. This flask weighs LESS, so your def assigns are HIGHER! And this isn't the entire deal, oh no way! at 1 G, yes, that's how many zeroes? Wrong! People who have dragged players around for 1 G are no zeroes! That's why they get +2 to all regens for all that butthurt they've accumulated over the months!

And wait, there's more! The other ladder: Lead parties to lay waste to prestigious monsters, one deadlier than the other! At 10 mobs, you an awesome +1 bonus to your defiance ability! Now doesn't that make your underpants feel remarkably tighter, huh?! There's more! at 25 mobs, you gain 10% stun resistance! Talk about leading by example! Among the true pillars of society that are the leaders of 35 notches on their digital peenor, they earn reputation faster! The true elite with their 50 lead kills are in a division of their own, they get a nice nifty <P> title: Valiant!

Disclaimer: No, the bonuses needn't necessarily be the ones I've suggested, but really, something like this could make the party scene flourish. Nothing too great that would unbalance the game, but something that makes it worth achieving.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

We could also give them a little more control over their party, being able to force the members to enter portals or cracks or whatever, or being able to make the monks and infecti stop meditating. I don't think they should be able to make people sleep or start meditating, but being able to stop them would be very helpful.
allanon

Post by allanon »

Don't forget to add the shiny new Leadership Plaque to the records room in adventurer's guild. These sorts of things must be documented and available to check the competition at all times!

Perhaps reset someone's Leadership whenever they reinc, thereby forcing constant painful decisions to certain peoples on a daily basis?...no, I suppose that would be too evil.

There should definitely be some sorts of checks on party compositon before awarding Leadership exp for just anything. Dragging around a level 1 to kill <harmless mobs that have no special hit or spells> is not nearly so brave as challenging Big Boss That Can Hit Entire Room with all your staunchest allies.

As to what sorts of bonuses to give, why not some skill gain to things like Controlled Retreat? Surely after herding people around for 1 G of exp, you have learned proper ways to turn tail! It could also give incentive for certain classes to take lead role, like...I dunno...mage instead of army.

Alternatively: the return of 12-man party size for exceptional leaders. You've already earned 1 G of exp, let's make the next G's even easier.

...and speaking of leaders, what about vice-leaders of army? Should they get, like, 33% of Leadership exp?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 160 character limit.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

If we are going to talk about vice leaders, I think both the leader and vice leader should be able to use army orders, assuming they have them, as it is right now, if the leader is army, the vice leader can't use orders, even if the leader isn't high enough level to use them.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Post by solar »

allanon wrote:Don't forget to add the shiny new Leadership Plaque to the records room in adventurer's guild. These sorts of things must be documented and available to check the competition at all times!
Quite so!
allanon wrote:There should definitely be some sorts of checks on party compositon before awarding Leadership exp for just anything. Dragging around a level 1 to kill <harmless mobs that have no special hit or spells> is not nearly so brave as challenging Big Boss That Can Hit Entire Room with all your staunchest allies.
LVL N+43634747 dragging around a lvl 1 twiddler = almost no exp for the lvl 1 twiddler = almost no exp_score for this hypothetical leader ladder!

Also, the opposite is true: small dudes cash in big when they drag fatter mofos around.

Yet, in a standard 4man party of around equal worths, the leader only 'wastes' his own personal share of ~25%, thus the rest would matter, ladder-wise. So, the 75% of 4man is still faster and more desirable than 50% of 2man etc.

Any comments from the upper echelon? (Other than Solar's alleged dubious overindulgence in Euroshopper Energy Drink (which, for the record, I have never tasted)?)
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
nihil
Supporting Member 2007

Post by nihil »

Leadership is something you're born into, it's not an acquired skill. This would benefit the people who already lead parties, the ones who don't would have at it for a bit, then crawl back into their pits of despair at the first sign of a wipe or discontent party member. I would rather see a decrease in exp rate for followers, let's not make the rich richer but by all means let's make the poor poorer.