More cantrips and talents?

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

artic
Supporting Member 2005

More cantrips and talents?

Post by artic »

Someone posted that they have a need for a healing spell/cantrip that everybody (even the most melee-fighter) culd cast.

Any other good ideas for cantrips and talents out there?
Let us brainsterm a bit...
iluth

Post by iluth »

some water finding skill or spell. it's really difficult to get water in the tundra areas unless you know where the mines are. ironic considering the huge amount of snow around you.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

iluth wrote:some water finding skill or spell. it's really difficult to get water in the tundra areas unless you know where the mines are. ironic considering the huge amount of snow around you.
yes, a good idea, a skill for any adventurer who wants to survive in the wilderness- waterfinding. If there is snow around you would ahve to make a fire and melt the snow into your container. If there is no snow out, you would need maybe a shovel to dig for a 'wetspot'. And of course there would be terrain type specific chance of finding water.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Also i myself would like to see 'weapon sharpening' as a talent. You wuld need a wetstone and sharpening the weeapon would mae the weapon do more damage for a short (not too short) period of time. Also knowledge of the wepons style (piercin/slashing etc) skill would affect how well you sharpen that kind of weapons.

Basically its similar to the 'apply' poison skill- it also wear off with time and shanges the weapons properties a bit.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

a spell someone mentioned from a game called arcana on earth, i don't remember what it is called, but what it did was you marked your allies, for two things, 1. so your attack spells would not affect them at all, and 2. so any healing spell that you cast, or area enhancement spell would affect them more. i think the spell was called mark ally, now that i think about it.
idles
Site Admin

Re: More cantrips and talents?

Post by idles »

artic wrote:Someone posted that they have a need for a healing spell/cantrip that everybody (even the most melee-fighter) culd cast.

Any other good ideas for cantrips and talents out there?
Let us brainsterm a bit...
The basic requirement for all cantrips is that they don't mess up the game balance. Having healing spells usable by all would certainly do this.

So when you brainstorm ideas for new cantrips, keep in mind that they should be
  • * Fun
    * Creative
    * Fit into Icesus
    * Won't screw game balance or balance between different guilds
Icesus Administration
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

A locator cantrip.

A vendor could sell locator objects and teach the cantrip to use them. Combined, the object and cantrip would let someone home in on your location in the outworld.

The sequence you go something like this...
- buy object, lets call it a "compass of the soul"
- study "bind signature"
- cast bind signature at compass of the soul (until you succeed)
- give compass to some friend of yours
- go galavanting about, eventually your friend decides to join you
- your friend could then look at the compass and it would indicate your direction and distance, provided you are both in the outworld.

The better you are at the cantrip, the better the directions would be. At low levels in might just point to one of the 4 cardinal directions and nothing more. At high levels it could give reasonably accurate distances and "three point" directions, like NNW.

Uses I can think of...
- a lone ranger type can call in his buddies for big game as needed
- a party could break up to search for game or hunt solo and join handle the big stuff
- a single party member that needs more regen than others could be left at camp and catch up later

I suppose you could make it so you could bind someone elses signature, that way only one person in a party would need the cantrip to make compasses for everyone, but that seems too easily abused by binding an unwilling party and tracking where they go.
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

A "light" cantrip of some sort. Something that takes about as much SP as a floating disc and lasts about 30 seconds. It wouldn't be a replacement for traditional light sources or spells, but would be handy in those "oh shoot!" moments.

If it only took 2 seconds or so to cast it would let you create a big flock of them for places that needed a lot of light. Not letting them stack would prevent that, or lengthening the casting time.

I'd see this as a nice thing for tiny races and weenie classes that can't afford the weight to carry a spare torch and flint.
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

A talent or cantrip... "calm mount" for those occasions where your mount has gone nuts. Let it take a few rounds to cast, so you'll have to spend some quality time in the room with your mount.

Make it hard enough to do that you might have to go out and heal a few times before getting it to take.

Failing at the skill should make the mount aggro to you, so you get one free shot at calming someone else's mount, then the subsequent ones hurt.
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

Talent: Dry meat

Using this talent, a knife, perhaps salt, and a bit of time you could transform meat into "dried meat" that would last much better. Maybe take 5 minutes or so. Not that it would be dry in one game hour, but it would be prepared for drying and eventually be dry.

Dry meat would be lighter, last much longer, and be safe to eat.

In arid areas of RL world, slicing meat thinly and hanging it in the open air gets the job done. Alternatively, you could involve salt or some other preservative.
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

Talent: gather insects

This talent would allow someone to gather edible insects from their environment. Insects would take up very little weight and volume and be reasonably nourishing. Probably shouldn't work well in frozen areas.

There are a lot of races running around. Who says a snakeman might not even prefer insects.
idles
Site Admin

Post by idles »

misrobo wrote:A talent or cantrip... "calm mount" for those occasions where your mount has gone nuts. Let it take a few rounds to cast, so you'll have to spend some quality time in the room with your mount.
Neat Idea 8)

I can think of a great deal of demand for this, even better if others familiar with this could calm the mount for the ones without the spell.

Got to contact Big B if he sees this fit too :D
Icesus Administration
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

idles wrote:
misrobo wrote:A talent or cantrip... "calm mount" for those occasions where your mount has gone nuts. Let it take a few rounds to cast, so you'll have to spend some quality time in the room with your mount.
Neat Idea 8)

I can think of a great deal of demand for this, even better if others familiar with this could calm the mount for the ones without the spell.

Got to contact Big B if he sees this fit too :D
Been thinking similar skill for a long time but I wouldn't want it to be a talent for everyone. More likely I would have a small open sub guild which gives this and some other mount related new skills or possibly even some kind of beastmaster main guild. :)
thernys
Supporting Member 2006

Post by thernys »

Would anyone really bother though, at least for the sole purpose of calming down his or her mount? Seeing as with the current coding, having someone mount and dismount your riding beast (or doing so yourself if you happen to have move silently (or invisibility?)) achieves the same goal. And if you can't, asking a random person or two for a brief hand will surely yield desired results.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

A couple of newer talent ideas:

See me, i gather herbs every day, i mix them and try coming up with new poison recipes for... ah... its a hobby of mine. So i see a lot of poisons , some deadly some more fun results. And its not rare that while i was coating my dagger with another lump of poison salve, i cut my hand and poisoned myself by mistake. Anyway... Could it be possible that my great knowledge of poisons would grant me the ability to examine people and tell what poison they are infected with and how long will that poison still be in their blood. Example: A guy is all green in his face (not hes natural color) and vomits every 2 minutes - id say its the 'qiuck poison of vomiting' and desideing from hes size and the greenish heu id say he'll be suffering from it for another 3 hours (if he doesnt seek cure or die first).
Also the 'diagnose illness' could be used at players wound to tell how long it will bleed for (or there sould be another talent 'examine wounds' for that purpose).

And the same goes for a friend of mine, ya know, hes a healer and sees all kinds of diseases every day. I mean he can really tell a bad case of red rot from a mild case of red rod, yeah! Example: Healer examines the victim -> He seems to be suffering from a harsh case of "very nasty disease name here". This causes him severy stomach ache and vomiting every 2 minutes. Also the disease results in a lowered contiton and strenght of the victim. If he does not seek a cure, hes body will deal with the disease in 2 days.
-----------------------------------
Summary:
2 new talents- 'diagnose poison' and 'diagnose illness' (names may be altered). Informational use only- tells lenght of effect, effect on stats, how often damage, if any, is done to the victim, other informational things like is it a known poison/disease or did he just get bit by an animal or eat a bad plant etc.
Should be talents available for all, but should have other requirements like a high skill % in mixing/mix poison and/or herbalism (some healer specific skill/mastery for the disease part).