More cantrips and talents?

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

grainer
Supporting Member 2015

Post by grainer »

allanon wrote: Now my ideas for new talents & cantrips. The names can be modified, they just came off the top of my head.

1) "Temporary marking" - Cantrip that lets you "mark" something with a (informal) message. I'm not thinking like a new method of graffiti, floating letters is sufficient for that. I'm thinking more along the lines of marking kills and loot to help prevent theft. Obviously this needs to be worked on a bit to help prevent abuse, like you can't mark a gloweq that someone dropped and claim it's yours, or can't mark a mob that you can't/won't kill. So maybe something like one mark at a time. As for the available messages, the selection would be like:
"(playername)'s Hearts - Collectiong for (df/magic jelly)"
"(playername)'s Killing This Mob"
"This is (playename)'s loot"
EtcEtcEtc, there are many other useful messages too.
"cast temporary marking at xxx for [message]".
Usages sound very much like floating letters' ones. And people usually get their loot to inventory/disc and it's a common courtesy to consider wounded monsters marked.
allanon wrote: 2) "Unstable bubble" - Temporary locker cantrip. It'd summon a bubble like object that'll hold stuff for exactly ONE quit&reenter or boot and is only castable once per boot to prevent possible abuses. Size of bubble is of course determined by spell %. Useful when you've got 35 skins and no time to leatherwork them before leaving, a pile'o'keys and no keyrings, or just to collect MASSIVE amounts of hearts for df or magic jelly. "cast unstable bubble" -> from there it's like a locker, "open/close bubble", "put xxx to bubble", "get xxx from bubble".
Hmm...sounds useful.
allanon wrote: 3) Talent "Unmark" that lets you remove those darn markings on EQ, since the smiths can't seem to do that. "use unmark at (eqnamehere)".
"no" - the 1st wizard to answer this post (trust me, they deliberately took unmark from smiths when eqdam was re-introduced so unmark is not coming back)
allanon wrote: 4) Talent "Woodcraft". In a forest or other woody area, you can collect branches etc. and make 'em into things, torches weapons containers (wooden bowl for instance). Sort of like leatherworking but with wood. And yes, gloweq are possible. "use woodcraft at [weapon/container/materials/estimate]".
Sounds ok to me, a new way for newbies to get something else than just fists.
allanon wrote: 5) "Ice sculpting" or "Snow art" talent. You'd think that we would at least be able to make snowballs or something. And of course ice sculptures, snowmen, snowforts etc. are nice too. Then we could have a couple more interesting events, snow wars, ice sculpting contests...the list goes on. "use ice sculpting at (something)", "use snow art at snowman [of player]".
mmm... "use snow art at snowman of priestess of life"...well at my skills she'd prolly look disgusting ;)
allanon wrote: 6) "Decrease energy" - cantrip that lets you lower the glow of an item, or even remove it entirely. Or maybe just make it a new channeler service. Certain items could actually be made better by this, ones that have minuses for example but are of good material. "cast decrease energy at [remove/decrease] glow for xxx".
You can use the item and glow will wear down next to nothing with time.
allanon wrote: 8) "Slow" - offensive cantrip that casts the opposite of "Haste" spell at a target/room. It "slows down the universe inside it". Should be made extremely expensive to study. No it would not work well for non-casters. "cast slow [at xxx]".
Already a spell in game. I can cast slow at you if you let me :P
allanon wrote: 9) "Blast" - very small offensive cantrip that creates a miniature explosion at the target/room with insignificant SP cost and lightning fast casting time. Damage is insignificant, as in about 50% of small arrow of sparks or minor suffocation. Not useful but slightly entertaining. "cast blast [at xxx]". Damagetypes are fire and magic.
if spcost if low and "lightning fast" is # with decent casting% then we got a new exping-mage-spell open for everyone. If you want it fast with low spcost the dam really needs to be next to nothing or else people _will_ use it to raise their exping rate.
allanon wrote: 10) "Judge" talent to let you compare yourself to another player statwise, sort of like a "consider" for player targets only. "use judge at player (stat)".
You can always ask him what's his stats and if he won't tell just reinc to psi :)
allanon wrote: 11) "Parch" cantrip that lets you dry up water and other liquids from an item or surroundings. Great for when you want to empty a flask or make the ground dry enough to build a fire/camp. "cast parch at xxx/room".
I suppose you wouldn't be able to dry rivers with this one, if that's correct then a good idea.
allanon wrote: 13) Cantrip that briefly (think like 30 seconds) expands a container to hold a little bit more, good for situations where you have just one more heart to pick up and it won't fit.
Just eat the heart.
allanon wrote: 14) Talent that lets you lace edibles with stuff. For example putting poison into someone's water flask, or adding a healing salve to bread.
"I'm not angry at you, even though you got me killed with ½ level on. Here, have a drink." :twisted:
allanon wrote: 15) "Partial invisibility" - Talent that makes you invisible, but only to other players. Just for fun...
Nah.
thoran
Wizard

Post by thoran »

Ok here are my opinions:

1) "Temporary marking": Use 'name'. This cannot get you around the fact that stealing is legal... dig holes if you don't want people to see & pick up the stuff you cannot carry.

2) "Unstable bubble": All the things you have listed are "non-saveable" objects. They cannot be saved, that's why they cannot be put into the locker. If the bubble would last only until boot, then maybe.

3) Talent "Unmark": The smiths cannot do it, because if they could, it would remove the whole idea behind marking protecting the eq from eqdamage.

4) Talent "Woodcraft": See my thread in ideas. I am currently working on this.

5) "Ice sculpting" or "Snow art" talent.: This is a nice idea. Want to code it?

6) "Decrease energy": If the eq has minuses, that's because of the tune. If you remove the minuses, the eq is better than intended. The cantrip should affect this in someway, maybe reducing the quality to poor or something.

7) Modification to leatherworking: Ok this can be done. Any volunteers?

8) "Slow": Join chronomancers to have this spell.

9) "Blast": If you want to be an offensive spellcaster, the mages of Valkor is a nice guild to reinc to.

10) "Judge": No comment on this.

11) "Parch": I bet if there is water in the room, and you dry it, more water will flow in from next rooms.

12) New talent for archers - "Doubleshot".: This is not a talent, it is a new skill/mastery idea for archer guild.

13) Go to city more often, buy a cart, learn floating disc, have more bags with you...

14) I don't see this having any other use than poisoning poor innocent newbies by leaving poison coated breads laying around.

15) "Partial invisibility": ... and for playerkilling and spying.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Worth a shot...

Post by solar »

My humble suggestion for a talent:
Shadow image :evil:

Player who wishes to use this talent needs a lightsource (preferrably one that emits light)

Now let's have a brief look at what it does:

The party is all set, the eqmonster would be going down pretty soon. As the last of the protective spells have been cast on the tanks and the leader is ready to start the run, one of the tanks calls for a timeout in order to use his shadow images.
Puzzled and genuinely intrigued, the party leader pauses, intently watching the tank as he starts to concentrate on a new skill. The tank suddenly takes out a torch, lights it and sets it on the ground, then brings his fingers together, forming a hand seal...

Nothing seems to have happened. The party leader ask the tank if he is done soon, since the spells cast earlier have a short duration and might wear out. The tank indicates the nearby wall with a nod from his head and says 'Look over there!'

Everyone turn to look. And strangely enough, on the wall was a shadow - it closely resembled a silhouette of a GOOSE!

He had brought his fingers together into a strange pattern which seemed of no use, but the torch had made a two dimensional shadow, cast from the hands, look like a goose on the flat surface of the wall.

The party leader's surprise quickly faded, and he sarcastically said 'Eh? A genuine shadowdancer are we? Now we have nothing to fear from that eqmob :D' But little did he know at that time about the real power of the shadow image:

It had scared all the little (unintelligent) animals away. :wink:
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

About the try land spell, it could be added to the repertuar of earth-priests under th name 'raise earth'. It raises the earth into a small hill inthe room, making the water flow away. Spell lasts just long enough o make a camp and sleep a bit. (You cant sleep on wet cround) It fits perfectly into earth priests, as they hate water and posess power over earth.

And such conversions as damage taken goes to SP, or If damage taken SP lowers instead of HP- these could be part of some channler or other caster guild. They would be really nice powerups, similar to the blesses and hastes we currently have.
dyzmal

Post by dyzmal »

With the water-finding talent you could use a dowsing rod to find it, and it could kind of be like the hunting skill in that it causes you to automatically walk around to find it.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

a spell orb of silence, that as long as it is active, any spell that uses words will not work, useful for psyonicists and possibly for any guild that does not normally use spells. the orb would not last very long, especially at low %
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

a new spell, very very expensive and extremely hard to find and even harder to cast successfully, that is done correctly will give a sort of signal that lets you know that you are in a room that has some sort of secret. another aspect that could be in the bandit guild or subguild, whatever ends up in the game, is a spell that will inform you if there is a glow within reach, that is not being held by a player.
moraq

Post by moraq »

Hidden exits or other secrets are usually (if not always) visible in the room's desc. IMHO secret things are rewards for players that actually read the descs and ponder and look. A spell like this would only decrease the need to read the room desc, which the poor coder wrote. Then I could just code a room with long desc as "Yadda yadda, yadda. Also yadda" with six secrets - and you'd just ignore desc and cast the spell -> get the secret reward/exit etc.

Respect the coder and his/her imagination!
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

there is a reason that i suggested that it be really expensive. as another way to make sure that they don't overuse this, if it is coded in, is it could not be shown when active and just has a message saying there is something about this room that gives you the chills or something. no message about when it stops working. also even at very high levels of it, there could be massive failures in the skill, it just would be more likely to find the secret areas that are very high level.
moraq

Post by moraq »

OK. So the skill fails even with high percent, it is extremely hard to get and extremely expensive.

What kind of a nutcase would then want to obtain this skill? Isn't it relatively easy to just study the room description for few seconds?

Edit: Eh? And on top of that if it just gives vague line that there 'might perhaps be something special about this room' then what is the use of the skill anyway?
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Post by solar »

Ever been in one of those situations when you suddenly run out of light and cannot pick items up from the ground? Or can't see those non-obvious exits like 'whirlpool', 'north-northwest','upstream','downstairs'?

'Glimmer'-cantrip to the rescue, then!
One could create small amount of light with this cantrip, that lasts only for a brief period of time, like only few seconds or so: which is enough to get a bearing or loot.

This cantrip could be made to have an upkeep quite simliar to that of 'unstable dimensional rift', to maintain it for longer period OR it could just vanish after moving to another room.

"Solar concentrates hard, slowly a small spark of pale light appears above his palm, illuminating his surroundings."

How about it? Not a balance-breaker, I hope!
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
kraven
Supporting Member 2012

Post by kraven »

iluth wrote:some water finding skill or spell. it's really difficult to get water in the tundra areas unless you know where the mines are. ironic considering the huge amount of snow around you.
when i was in army in real life,they teached us that "eating" snow do not provide any fluids to your body cos snow lacks the cartain minerals wich helps your body to obsorbs normal water..so eating snow only get ur stomach hurt Or get some nasty virus inside you :/