Odds and Ends

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

silv

Odds and Ends

Post by silv »

ok... so I think of some weird stuff from time to time(incase you hadn't noticed)... but I rarely write any of it down, cause I don't feel like spawning a half dozen new threads (it's messy).
So, instead, I'll just start one thread, and edit/add to it as I think of things...

Right now, I'm playing an Air Priest... so...

One thing I think would be kinda handy would be a censer or braizer (for air and fire priests, respectively). Insert incense, cast handy little smoke spell, and carry it around with you...

I'm also kinda curious about the other Priesthoods. There's already a thread up for the Earth Priests, but what about Water/Fire? Are they an active project, or kinda back-burner? I think it would be neat to see a party of Priests from each faith one day... (and possibly some greater spells requiring the efforts of combined faiths :twisted: )

comments/questions/suggestions: welcome as always.
thoran
Wizard

Re: Odds and Ends

Post by thoran »

silv wrote:I think it would be neat to see a party of Priests from each faith one day... (and possibly some greater spells requiring the efforts of combined faiths
Remember that those are _priests_of_opposing_faiths_. How probable will it be that they will peacefully party with each other? I'd say we should implement system where partying with priests of other elements will devastate your spellcasting/drain your df/other nasty effect, because your elemental deity doesn't like you hanging around his enemies.
silv

Post by silv »

mmm... Does there truely have to be such animosity between faiths? Maybe between directly opposed elements, I suppose, but I imagined Gods would be able to get along a little better than tempermental children >.>

The strengths of one could compliment one or more of the others... It's not like each faith denies the existance of the other Elemental Gods (I don't think anyway...). *shrug*

A catholic priest meets a baptist preacher... sure, maybe there won't be any high-five's, but both recognize the other's faith as valid... maybe they don't agree with it, but they recognize it... and both would step forward to prevent the suffering of an innocent.

However... with the Necromantic interests of the Earth Priests, An Air Priest might have a hard time convincing them as to what exactly "suffering" and "innocent" mean...

Similarly, each God cannot deny the existance of his/her siblings. And while they may not approve of such fraternization, You would think they gave their children free will for a reason. I could understand if certain spells/abilities (preaching + prayer for example) were unusable in the presence of a representative of another faith... but, so long as one remained faithful, would the Gods really punish their clergy for dealing with others? I mean... Templar can worship Fire, Earth, and Water... and be Champions of their faith... will such restrictions prevent them from recieving the healing of an Air Priest?
janeti
Supporting Member 2006

Odds and Ends

Post by janeti »

Since the valley only survives, suposedly, by the cooperation of all the gods why shouldn't their worshippers cooperate?
thoran
Wizard

Post by thoran »

I suggest you read http://www.icesus.org/Documentation/bri ... istory.php

It has some info about the relations between elemental gods.
thoran
Wizard

Post by thoran »

Also,
silv wrote:A catholic priest meets a baptist preacher... sure, maybe there won't be any high-five's, but both recognize the other's faith as valid... maybe they don't agree with it, but they recognize it... and both would step forward to prevent the suffering of an innocent.
In icesus it is more like catholic and pagan meeting in the 15th century. They don't agree.
silv wrote:However... with the Necromantic interests of the Earth Priests, An Air Priest might have a hard time convincing them as to what exactly "suffering" and "innocent" mean...
Exactly.
silv

Post by silv »

thoran wrote:I suggest you read http://www.icesus.org/Documentation/bri ... istory.php

It has some info about the relations between elemental gods.
I have read it.
People turned their eyes towards priest, hoping that they would find some solution to save everyone. Priests of all elements and races put their differences aside to save people who believed in them.
Unfortunately, it is just a Brief World History. There isn't much there, yet. I appologize though, it's not my place to say how well other people's characters should get along, but it was just an idea I had.

Oh, and...
thoran wrote: In icesus it is more like catholic and pagan meeting in the 15th century. They don't agree.
I don't think so... A pagan and a catholic have completely different religions. Different pantheons, different histories, etc. A Catholic and a Baptist share the same religious history, the same fundamental beliefs about the world and the beings who created it and all life on it. What separates them is their interpretation of that history, and some practices of their faith. Just as an Air Priest and a Fire Priest must both agree that their deities coexist, and that both are responsible for the salvation of life on Aegic (although each would naturally believe that his/her own deity played a more important role).

But... that's just me again... *shrug*
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

I think the burning incense container is an exelent idea- Such a thing really exists too: dont know how its called, but its like a small round container hanging from a couple of chains, holding those chains a guy walks around in church swinging the container so the smoke would spread through the tiny holes in the containers wall.
silv

Post by silv »

yeah, that's called a Censer... when it's just an open plate or dish suspended by chains or on a stand, it's called a Brazier...

edit: oops, spelling mistakes.
grainer
Supporting Member 2015

Post by grainer »

The history story where all the gods are present might be the actual thing that happened, but still priests of one deity could easily believe that their god is the only one that there is. Like (fundamental) christians believe that their god is the only one there is.
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

"help world history" reveals that the elemental gods will sometimes form aliances. The elemental gods could intermittently, and randomly form alliances with a non-opposed element. Perhaps for a duration of 10 phases or so, enough so you could get used to the party makeup, but not so long that it would seem permanent.

For priests...
Working with opposed priests, or elements allied with the opposed element would be detrimental.
Working with unallied, non-opposed element priests would be slightly detrimental.
Working with priests of allied elements would be fine.

This is all rather complicated by making healing the domain of the air priest. Unless the other priests can heal then you end up with unhealed parties and thats just not how things are balanced. If the other priests can heal, then that might be difficult to differentiate them from air priest and not make them more powerful. Oh well, problems for wizards.
belannaer
Wizard

Re: Odds and Ends

Post by belannaer »

silv wrote:I'm also kinda curious about the other Priesthoods. There's already a thread up for the Earth Priests, but what about Water/Fire? Are they an active project, or kinda back-burner?
Zaltaiz is working on fire priests and we'll probably see more of them pretty soonish 8)
silv

Post by silv »

Goodie

As far as priests working together... why not base it on the current phase?

i.e. Air Phase: An Air Priest and a Fire Priest get together, if the Air Priest doesn't lead the party, the Fire Priest suffers. Being at the height of her power, Pthuule would call the shots, and probably not even let an Earth Priest in the party.
But then Fire phase comes along. Now, if an Air Priest and an Earth Priest want to work together, there wouldn't be so much of a problem, as their deities are on more even ground. But if a Fire Priest joins, both Air and Earth would suffer. Only during Magic phase would the 4 all be equal...

Or something like that...
silv

Ok... Next Idea....

Post by silv »

Can all beholder eyes be set up to use psp?
With the addition of the Infecti, the use of psp's has become alot more common place. And seeing as how beholders often fill the role of caster, it'd be nice to have something else to do when your SP runs out...
*shrug*
Just an idea.

Next...
Prayer for the masses. I can preach to a whole bunch of people at once, can I pray for the salvation of a group of people? Maybe just those in my party?

And... can/should/will prayer affect psp recovery?

A "regurgitate" command similar to first aid, which allows a person to voluntarily vomit... help cure food poisoning. Or, an emetic, produced by alchemists... to the same effect.

An identify skill/spell/cantrip? I imagine NPC's identify items for a reason... so perhaps such an ability would be worse than that provided by the NPCs... i.e. only reveal one property of the item per use, at random. Or it might be a bit misleading, if the character isn't proficient in the ability.
I'm not as eager to see this implimented, as much as I'm curious as to why it hasn't been already.
Last edited by silv on Tue Jun 08, 2004 18:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Alchemist already have a 'Cure food poisoning' potion if im correct, but the thing with alchemist is they dont make potions... not for the market.