To be able to sneak by block monsters..

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

artic
Supporting Member 2005

Re: A message would be nifty

Post by artic »

cutter wrote:Third, write the new messages.
But, i would not want to change the original message, id like to add a check of if player is sneaking then show message2.
As a matter od fact i love the cutters spectre block message.

edit: It seems i mean a different blocking specter than others. And Cutter, your right the one you mean is lame, sry.
Last edited by artic on Mon Jun 28, 2004 21:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cutter
Wizard

Post by cutter »

artic wrote:
cutter wrote:Third, write the new messages.
But, i would not want to change the original message, id like to add a check of if player is sneaking then show message2.
Yes, that was my idea also. But it doesn't require a check, nor any code from your part; I can write the necessary support for automagically choosing message 1 if the player is not sneaking and message 2 if he is in less than the time I've spent writing these replies, I bet ;) The big job is adding the second message to all existing places.
artic wrote:As a matter od fact i love the cutters spectre block message.
It's a prime example of bad style, like most of the area: "Don't tell the players how they feel, make them feel that way." Instead of bluntly forcing you to be too afraid it should rather try to convey the fear in some more subtle ways. Or rather just come up with a more believeable reason why you don't want to, or can't, just walk past...
#define BITCOUNT(x) (((BX_(x)+(BX_(x)>>4)) & 0x0F0F0F0F) % 255)
#define BX_(x) ((x) - (((x)>>1)&0x77777777) - (((x)>>2)&0x33333333) - (((x)>>3)&0x11111111))
odovacar
Supporting Member 2013

Post by odovacar »

cutter wrote: Second, find every blocker in the game (well, that's rather simple question of recursive grep).
Third, write the new messages.

Simple as that, doesn't require any real coding skill as what you essentially are doing is just a simple "replace this with that" operation.
hrrm... if you can find it easily with a recursive grep you can easily write a script which does the following:
1. Identify the blocker line.
2. Add the line "As you try to sneak by, the guard farts in your general direction and you die" (with various sneak detecting params or whatever)

Now, this has the problem of ALL blockers giving the same message. I suggest 2 solutions to this problem:
1. Replace it with a random line from a collection of ubiquitous gotcha! lines.
2. Perhaps you could get the blocking line from step 1 and add an "as you try to sneak by" prefix to it.

Cheers,
Odo
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
cutter
Wizard

Post by cutter »

odovacar wrote:1. Replace it with a random line from a collection of ubiquitous gotcha! lines.
2. Perhaps you could get the blocking line from step 1 and add an "as you try to sneak by" prefix to it.
If you'd have read what I posted earlier you'd know why option 2 does not work. And random message isn't considered a viable option either. It has to be in line with the existing messages or it's not worth the change. (Bad messages or random messages do not add "realism" or immersion value, which was the requirement for bothering to change them.)
#define BITCOUNT(x) (((BX_(x)+(BX_(x)>>4)) & 0x0F0F0F0F) % 255)
#define BX_(x) ((x) - (((x)>>1)&0x77777777) - (((x)>>2)&0x33333333) - (((x)>>3)&0x11111111))