player quests

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

sondarn

player quests

Post by sondarn »

Hello

Would it be possible to develop player quests : These would be little quests put on some message board/channel.

Quests could be :

1) Deliver a number of jellies/hearts before a certain time.
2) Search an indigrient/skin/...
3) deliver something to another player
4) take the highbie to another area
5) ... As I am still inexperienced, I'm sure you could think of better examples.

There's a danger that some share information rules may be broken with this, so every quest should be supervised by a wizard or there might be a general ruleset for these quests. The reward could be exp, gold, df, whatever... and should be included in the quest description.

The purpose would be to enable more quests for lower-end characters and it could lead to more rp or further ideas... .

I'm sorry if this has been dealt before, I'm a bit lazy and haven't read all the messages on the board yet. Bring on the faq :)
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

Much of this could be accomplished with a "broker". A buyer player could go to the broker and place an order for a quantity of an item and a price. At a later time another player could fill the order and collect the money.

So, Player A could put out an order for 25 blackslice for 1000 silver. At a later time Player B would come and get a list of outstanding orders, see the blackslice order, and fill it with 25 blackslice, collecting the 1000 silver. When Player A returns he could collect his 25 blackslice.

A couple of nice functions...
1) Newbies and rangers could then go off and do the gathering for alchemists, presumably a market price would develop over time. A nice way to see the outworld even if you are too low a level to actually use the things you are gathering.

2) When you really want that life changing piece of gear you can put out an order and perhaps inspire someone to get it for you.

3) Perhaps a secondary armour market would develop. For that stuff you move past, like a chitinium silk scarf.

The broker could charge some percentage for his trouble.

A tricky corner is that when you place the order you won't have the item, so you can just enter a text name. Any item which matched the text would satisfy. Obviously placing an order for "fine steel broadsword @60k" when you want a blade of the avians might be a bad idea since you could get a nasty one. Getting the text right would be potentially difficult, you might botch the text and be unmatchable.

Also, for people that might want to buy many things, it might be nice to pool the money on deposit so they could have orders for more than they could afford, when their money was depleted the remaining orders would become inactive. That way you could keep your armour wishlist out there and wait for someone to upgrade and sell their old to you without having to keep a vast fortune on account.

There would need to be some way to prevent the obvious abuse of using it as a locker by filling your own order or having your buddy fill your order.
sondarn

Post by sondarn »

Thanks for the ideas. I agree with most of what you've written.

1) The point about getting the text right could be solved/regulated.

It would be up to the quest-maker to give as much detail as possible. If this is correct it's up to the quester to give a tell to the quest-maker BEFORE accepting the quest.

2) There's another problem. There should be a time limit and a token.

Suppose A puts out a quest for 20 very light jellies. About 15 newbies start gathering and only 1 of them will get the price. This could cause a lot of swearing :-) .

To regulate this you could make the potential quester get a token from the broker as soon as he accepts. The quest is now "taken". There's a token the quester carries. If after a set time he hasn't fulfilled the quest, the token dissappears and the quest is now "Open".

3) You mentioned abuse of this system and I haven't really got an answer for that one. Maybe another time limit on how many times a quest-maker can put out a quest and a limit on the number of quests he can put out could be a partial answer.

Perhaps checking on quest-item (the number of times it appears in which quest and what players) would be difficult, but if they can spot multiplaying, spotting players who abuse this system must be possible.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

I like misrobos idea, it certainly got my vote!