Room cleanup

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

iluth

Room cleanup

Post by iluth »

I'm not sure if many people are bothered by this, but since the cleanup code was introduced/tweaked? i've gotten a little paranoid about dropping my sack or other stuff on the floor if i can't carry it, or meat for mounts if i need to leave the mount for a time. Was wondering if it could be made so cleanup code only affected unnamed items, so that players could name stuff like meat and sacks, and leave it on the floor without worry of cleanup code getting it.
stalker
Wizard

Re: Room cleanup

Post by stalker »

iluth wrote:I'm not sure if many people are bothered by this, but since the cleanup code was introduced/tweaked? i've gotten a little paranoid about dropping my sack or other stuff on the floor if i can't carry it, or meat for mounts if i need to leave the mount for a time. Was wondering if it could be made so cleanup code only affected unnamed items, so that players could name stuff like meat and sacks, and leave it on the floor without worry of cleanup code getting it.
Idles/Belannaer/Cutter most prolly will have good insight upon this.. I guess it's primarily a matter of memory consuption and secondarily of CPU, both of which will be multiplied I guess today with the new server being introduced.. Then the cleanup time might be elongated?

On the other hand it might have some kind of consequences in relation to monster respawn time, which I guess players would like to keep intact..
Stalker
cutter
Wizard

Re: Room cleanup

Post by cutter »

iluth wrote:I'm not sure if many people are bothered by this, but since the cleanup code was introduced/tweaked? i've gotten a little paranoid about dropping my sack or other stuff on the floor if i can't carry it, or meat for mounts if i need to leave the mount for a time. Was wondering if it could be made so cleanup code only affected unnamed items, so that players could name stuff like meat and sacks, and leave it on the floor without worry of cleanup code getting it.
No, this cannot and will not be done. With the current object counts, it would most likely eat more CPU power trying to check whether it's safe to cleanup the room than we gain with actually doing the cleanup. (This could be mitigated somewhat if the driver was smarter about how it runs the cleanup, and I have proposed some enchancements, but since I'm just about the only wizard with interest and knowledge in innards of the driver and I'm quite busy with work and other things, don't expect that fixed anytime soon...)
#define BITCOUNT(x) (((BX_(x)+(BX_(x)>>4)) & 0x0F0F0F0F) % 255)
#define BX_(x) ((x) - (((x)>>1)&0x77777777) - (((x)>>2)&0x33333333) - (((x)>>3)&0x11111111))
cutter
Wizard

Post by cutter »

Actually, I'll take the "will not" partially back. It could be done given enough resources, but the more important question here is, do you really need to carry more stuff around than you can carry? The whole gaming experience is choices and compromises, and one of them is your carrying capacity and the risk of losing something you left on ground.
#define BITCOUNT(x) (((BX_(x)+(BX_(x)>>4)) & 0x0F0F0F0F) % 255)
#define BX_(x) ((x) - (((x)>>1)&0x77777777) - (((x)>>2)&0x33333333) - (((x)>>3)&0x11111111))
rixa

Post by rixa »

Buy a mount and use cart(it can be locked).Cart takes a huge amount of stuff.
So problem solved. :shock: