Player-Run Clans

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

apex

Player-Run Clans

Post by apex »

There has been a LOT of discussion about player-killing recently, and IMHO, a player-run clan system could be a GREAT way to further enhance the game, adding another level, while still maintaining balance.

Rather than guilds/cities going to war (making PKing ok, and involving those that don't wish to be involved), we could reserve the wars for the clans. Anyone WISHING to participate in PK wars could just join a clan. Clans could be city-affiliated, adding that level to gameplay too.

I do think that if clans became to dominant, it WOULD hinder Icesus, but i think, as with everything else, a BALANCED clan system would be VERY fun, and would answer a few problems, while causing few on its own:)
moraq

Post by moraq »

I second to that; some kind of clan system to Icesus would be nice

As long as it isn't like that if you aren't in a clan you're a total outcast
idles
Site Admin

Post by idles »

moraq wrote:I second to that; some kind of clan system to Icesus would be nice

As long as it isn't like that if you aren't in a clan you're a total outcast
What would be the point of these clans? Benefits? Penalties?
Icesus Administration
apex

Post by apex »

idles wrote:What would be the point of these clans? Benefits? Penalties?
I tried to explain point of clan in my first post-

I think it would benifit overall gameplay by offering a conduit for all the mad-PKer's rage. Those that keep whining about a "War" could have it, between clans.

Having clans would add a new level of gameplay to Icesus, because they're player-run and maintained, this could be done with little extra-work for the already overworked(from what i gather) coders (once things are started up). It allows the clan system to evolve on its own, and constantly meet new needs.

Clans could serve ANY number of purposes. From simply giving a bunch of friends a place to call their own (albeit an expensive one) to establishing a means to have little wars and skirmishes.

a clan system would allow incidents and such to be resolved in a realistic, and fun way.

In order for it to work successfuly, however, I think the majority of Icesus needs to be non-affiliated.. or at least half and half.. but from what i gather a lot of individuals aren't interested in war etc.

ALSO I think a clan system would be a great environment and means for stronger for brotherhood among RACES. This is prevelent in a few guilds now, but not in the complexity it could be with a clan system.

I think it'd be great:) Maybe thats just me tho
iluth

Post by iluth »

One of the problems with clan wars is that some people might not know when to stop, for example if there is some kind of skirmish and one of the clan members gets bored, goes off to make some exp, and gets killed sometime later just because he belongs to a certain clan, that would create some friction and probably issues.

I think the idea is workable but it would need some firm rules when it came to pking so the system didn't just fall apart.
apex

Post by apex »

the idea behind the clan wars is that there is NO safe time, you're always at war. and thats why you'd either have to stick together with clan mates, or not be in that clan.

I've even got some simple ideas on how it woudl be easy(er) to code it.
apex

Post by apex »

And some further explanation... By my idea of the clan system, a "clan at war" didn't just mean the clan leader decided.. oh lets kill people now, and pking everyone in sight.
I more envisioned a set "Challenge/accept" situation, where a clan leader would some how use an item etc, that would formally challenge another clan, in which the leader of the other clan would have to consent in order for a "war like status" to occur (in which pk rules (between the TWO clans), nether effects, and such consequences are cancelled, etc.)

So this system wouldn't be just a free pass for PKing, and wouldn't be 10 clans ganging up on 1 (unless the 1 consented)

I've put a lot of thought into this, a LOT a lot... and I would (personally) really enjoy a system like this...
apex

Post by apex »

Further developing the idea still....

Basic structural ideas for the clan system:

Universal "clanhalls" which can be bought and placed(or perhaps pre-placed and just rented) (limited number available, and expensive.- (one per player can be bought).

In the clan halls there will be an item (a totem, a pedestel, something like that) which will have vested in it all commands needed to run the clan. Only a clan leader will be able to use it, and it will have commands such as "invite x player, remove x player, warn x clan, declare war on x clan, accept x treaty/challenge, beg truce on x clan*, set x player's clan title to y, set hall desc as x(one use))

this item will BE the clan system, also , on a maybe of clanhall items are donation/voting boxes, and some sort of cabinet, etc. for a war situation*.

*In clan war declaring war, both clans, declarer and declaree must consent. In a clan begging for treaty (peace), both clans CAN be consentual but woudl not have to be. a 24 hour (etc) waiting period would be instilled for the requested clan to accept, after which the clans would go to peace status anyway. (this way clans can quit war right away if they want, but a clan couldn't pull a cheapshot attack, then jump out of the war real quick).

Also, 1 room in the clanhall in which only clan memebers could enter.

An idea for incentive to go to war: (and perhaps a goal of such).

Upon the killing of a clan leader (by a clan at war with the clan leader's clan), a cabinet or such would open, or a room would open within the clanhall, in which an item (or mob) would then be exposed. Killing this mob/taking the item could lead to the banishment of the clan for a set period (48 hours or such), and possibly a reward for the victorious clan.

Also, keep in mind clans wouldn't be solely used for war.. other uses as well, but i'm still thinking about any modifications clan halls might need in order to support this.

ALSO ALSO, i'm thinking of some way rank within the clan could be rewarded (giving a reason to want to achieve rank). obviously exp, or money is out of the question (the idea is to keep the clan from effecting the outside icesus as much as possible).

-Apex

Please help with suggestions here
apex

Post by apex »

Much apologies, i'm trying to move the discussion to ideas, because i dont want to spam everyone with two of the same topic.. please reply in the ideas forum
felgand

Post by felgand »

While I'm usually in favor of pk, I think the idea of player-run clans for this purpose would be a bad idea. Players, being as they are will try to help their friends regardless of whether they are part of the clan or not. This especially applies for guilds that can cast beneficial spells on others such as air priests, psionicists, and templars.

How would you manage something like this? Ban clanned players from receiving any benefit from these spells at all? That'll wreck havoc on parties. Or do you allow it and let the clan with the most "unclanned" friends dominate these wars?

Personally, I do not think a system where there are pkable and not pkable players interacting in the same area could ever be balanced or be free of cheating. City/guild wars are not subject to this problem chiefly because this distinction is never drawn and everyone is free game if they participate at all.
apex

Post by apex »

Once again tho.. the clan's purposes wouldn't necessarily be pk or war.

and perhaps no, while in times of war a player in a warring clan does become impossible to cast beneficial spells on (From out-of-clan sources, of course). This would provide a need for in-clan guild members of such, and partying would be fine (if kept within the clan), and if they didn't like it.. could just not war, you know? war doesn't have to be a constant in a clan...

Perhaps you're right though, and the warring idea wouldn't work.. i still think clans outright owuld be a fun idea.. why, otherwise.. well i'm still working on that
aaeli

Post by aaeli »

One could fix some of these problems by making a clan-war zone, where only clans who are at war could enter. There could be multiple clan-war zones, and to go to war, the two clans have to agree on one of thses war-zones to hold their war. Each zone could even have different objectives, such as a siege zone, or even a capture the flag zone, just for fun. One could enter the war-zone through a command or through a physicla entrance, i think the command would be better, so one doesnt need to travel all the way across aegic to get to the war-zone, and this would also prevent some unsuspecting newbies from entering a war zone their clan is using without meaning to.
Does anybody have change for a mithril?