Who's On

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

Which of these would you like to see put on the Icesus page?

"Who's On" gateway that allows players to finger others by clicking on their names.
21%
Helpfiles like "help armourtypes" that are useful to have open at all times.
No votes
Long helpfiles like "help commands long" that are easier to scroll through online.
No votes
All of the above.
75%
None-Icesus page is good as is.
4%

Total votes: 24

solar
Supporting Member 2020

All fellow mudders unite!

Post by solar »

If I remember correctly wizards said that they were useless or wouldn't be brought back. I might be mistaken of course. One thing I do know is that there is a chance that if enough people would agree with you (Very much like I do now, by posting this reply here for all to look at), they could change their heads... and eventually claim that it was their intent all along :)

So... if you agree with something... think about bringing it up somehow.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
moraq

Post by moraq »

I don't know if it was that usefull and stuff, but it would add more content to the pages.

-=/\/\oraq=-
alaye

Post by alaye »

i'd like to have it back!!!
aieon
Supporting Member 2006

Post by aieon »

I didn't have too much time to enjoy that feature since I was übernoob when it was removed. also the commands and other stuff was very useful before I got used to the commands and help files and all that. for a newbie like me it's very nice to just click the commands and help files instead of typing them.
that's just me being lazy, tho.
cutter
Wizard

Post by cutter »

The biggest reason for the removal is that they were "quite the kludge" to put mildly. Maybe someday someone will come up with a way that is less of a kludge and they will be reimplemented, but that day is not in the foreseeable future at the moment.
#define BITCOUNT(x) (((BX_(x)+(BX_(x)>>4)) & 0x0F0F0F0F) % 255)
#define BX_(x) ((x) - (((x)>>1)&0x77777777) - (((x)>>2)&0x33333333) - (((x)>>3)&0x11111111))
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Whats a 'kludge'? If you could descibe the problem more exactly than maybe we could help you come up with a solution?
cutter
Wizard

Post by cutter »

artic wrote:If you could descibe the problem more exactly than maybe we could help you come up with a solution?
The basic problem is, the data is in the mud-driver and it needs to get to the webserver, which is running in a separate process. The old superkludge solution was a minimal quickhack "webserver" built into the mud-driver which handled the gateway pages, but that didn't really understand HTTP protocol too well (so some browsers would not work too nicely with it) and it used a nonstandard port which meant people behind firewalls might or might not be able to use the gateway pages. (There's also the point of how, umm, interestingly the old implementation abused the "who" command but that's a side issue.)

Obvious solutions are to either write the data to a file every X seconds/minutes/whatever and let the webserver use that file, or to write a frontend page that uses php functions to do socket access to the mud-driver.
#define BX_(x) ((x) - (((x)>>1)&0x77777777) - (((x)>>2)&0x33333333) - (((x)>>3)&0x11111111))
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

yes for the helpfiles and such a php could be written that lists the files in some /help directory in the mud and such. But for the 'who' and other gateways an exported data set is needed, wich then is updated every now and then. I dont know if such an updating would slow down our brand new server :)?
janeti
Supporting Member 2006

Pages

Post by janeti »

I used to use the help section frequently, and still would if it was there. I have a rotten memory, particularly for syntax and used to keep several pages open in different tabs. It was also quite the best way of reading things like the adjectives or armour pages, you could scroll back and forth much more easily than in zmud.

I would also put in a vote for having the who/finger pages recoded when someone has the time.
thoran
Wizard

Post by thoran »

When I was still playing I had my personal copies of all the necessary helpfiles. Read in mud, copy, open notepad, paste, save. You have a personal help file you can keep open at all times. Just make sure not to distribute the file.
alaye

Post by alaye »

maybe we could have a command in the mud, that shows who's currently online, instead?
cutter
Wizard

Post by cutter »

alaye wrote:maybe we could have a command in the mud, that shows who's currently online, instead?
You already do? As far as I know "who" command is usable for everyone...