Bigger World Map

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

I could fashion such a map. It could be made printerfriendly, yet that would mean loss of quality (would lose terrain info, could still keep roads, mountains, cities, and special places maybe even rivers and lakes but those would really look very much like mountains :( )

Also i do not know if player-used names of places could be added?!!? That would be quite obvoiusly against all sharing-information regulations. But if a printerfriendly map exsisted, you could explore and add names/other notes to the map yourself (wich is prolly the right thing to do, couse even I dont know how they call some more rarely visited areas :? )

edit: i got right on it and prepared a test map to printerfriendly state and some problems have arisen.
First- the world does not fit on a A4 paper (even if i leave out some parts that i think no-one ever visits anyway) unless disorted in shape.
Second- roads an paths bacome as one with rivers, hard to follow where you are heading. Also A4 size is not good zom level for pixel exact location :(
Third- lakes and mountains look just alike, yu cant tell a firey volcano from a deep-end waterpool.

So if these obvious mistakes do not bother you, id still make that printerfriendly edition.
asventral
Supporting Member 2007

Post by asventral »

What about a scrolling map ? that could be made with Flash-like software ... with perhaps zoom options.
Unfortuantely can't do that ... but perhaps someone else could ?

Here's what i mean:
http://www.flashkit.com/movies/Utilitie ... /index.php
idles
Site Admin

Post by idles »

artic wrote:Also i do not know if player-used names of places could be added?!!? That would be quite obvoiusly against all sharing-information regulations.
I got no problems with adding basic common-knowledge area names on the map if a suitable techinical solution is found. The map is auto-updated so adding names to it is a pain and can't be done manually.
Icesus Administration
idles
Site Admin

Post by idles »

Also a simple way to make a map of your chosen zoom ratio..

Simply go to the map page and click on the 'full sized map' link. Then use any photo editing software to zoom it as much as you want.
Icesus Administration
aaeli

map

Post by aaeli »

before the website was redone, there was a map which was big enough to show all detail and had all the place names, this was VERY useful and i still have it on my computer in a .bmp. Why can't this map be restored?
Does anybody have change for a mithril?
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

The world has changed sice then. The names that were on that map were not the ones used by players not by wizards. They were more of the names of the landmarks but not the areanames.