A few ideas.

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

amerek

A few ideas.

Post by amerek »

Been playing this game for about a month, so you may know something I don't. Anyway, here are some random ideas that I've had:

1. I own a cart, and I use it to basically store my treasure. I realize that I could use it for transport, but I mainly just store stuff in it (because it's lockable). So, my suggestion is that, if the cart is locked, the owner can enter the cart and lock it back automatically. For example:

>lock cart
You lock the large covered cart.

>enter cart
You unlock the cart, climb into it, and lock it again.

>exit cart
You unlock the cart, exit it, and lock it again

2. Currently, if you make a typo in the target of your spell, the spell finishes but doesn't cast at a monster. Would it be possible to check for the spell target before you are allowed to cast (instead of having to wait for the timer to reach 0)? My spells fail enough without me having to worry about my typing :)

3. I think it would be interesting to allow people to cast below 0% mana (having negative % beyond), much like you can do with EP. Casting that really expensive spell wouldn't necessarily mean you have to wait for a pulse of mana in order to cast something...Maybe even trading 1 mana for 2 health or something like that?

4. Selling stuff would be a lot easier if promissory notes or credit could be extended to players. Some kind of exchange command would be really useful...It's not a problem handing another person the item after the money is transferred, but it would make things simpler and more formal, I think.

5. Could some kind of message be given to a player who is in a party already (but is being asked by another player to join his party)? A lot of times I forget that I was even in a party 2 hours ago, and it would save me a little confusion and the other person from having to say, "Leave your party, dolt!"

6. A share command would be nice for parties...Whenever I'm hunting it's sometimes awkward (who gets the loot?) Items, I don't worry about, but the cash is nice. I think something like a "Party share 100 platinum" that would distribute 100 platinum evenly between all members of the party (left-overs would be the leaders).

7. It's kind of just a pet peeve, but whenever I cast my fire spells at monsters and they die due to burning (not me casting directly, but as a result of them catching on fire), I don't receive experience. I think I should :) On that note, (and this might even be implemented), if fire mages can burn their kills, perhaps ice mages can give frostbite, acid mages could disintegrate armor, lightning mages could keep their targets stunned longer...I think that the differen schools of magic should have some different spells (maybe even some unique utility spells too).

8. Last but not least, I think that wearable containers are needed in the game. I long to wear a backpack or something to reduce the bulkiness of carrying tons of magical weapons. I feel like I have my sleeping bag, my leather bag, my tasty bread made of wheat, and my 3 claymores jacked up under my arms as I run into the heat of battle. I think that a back slot for backpacks, a shoulder slot (for satches, quivers, etc.) and a belt slot (for pouches, scabbards, etc.) are needed.
idles
Site Admin

Re: A few ideas.

Post by idles »

amerek wrote: 2. Currently, if you make a typo in the target of your spell, the spell finishes but doesn't cast at a monster. Would it be possible to check for the spell target before you are allowed to cast (instead of having to wait for the timer to reach 0)? My spells fail enough without me having to worry about my typing :)
There's a workaround to this. The spells automatically target the monster you are fighting with. To do this, simply type: cast 'large ball of ice', notice the ''s. You can also use this in your aliases by doing: alias lbi cast 'large ball of ice' $
amarek wrote: 5. Could some kind of message be given to a player who is in a party already (but is being asked by another player to join his party)? A lot of times I forget that I was even in a party 2 hours ago, and it would save me a little confusion and the other person from having to say, "Leave your party, dolt!"
Good idea, implemented.
amarek wrote: 7. It's kind of just a pet peeve, but whenever I cast my fire spells at monsters and they die due to burning (not me casting directly, but as a result of them catching on fire), I don't receive experience. I think I should :)
Are you 100% sure this happens? The experience always goes to the last person who was fighting with the monster when it dies. It shouldn't be lost.
amarek wrote: 8. Last but not least, I think that wearable containers are needed in the game. I long to wear a backpack or something to reduce the bulkiness of carrying tons of magical weapons. I feel like I have my sleeping bag, my leather bag, my tasty bread made of wheat, and my 3 claymores jacked up under my arms as I run into the heat of battle.
They aren't on your arms, rather you have a basic backbag with you at all times. We chosen not to show it to players, for sake of simpleness and playability.

When you put something in your back/sack you are carrying, you are actually "packing" it more carefully. The items you have directly in your inventory are the ones that are readily used, and not packed as tight. That's why the bulk is reduced when they are inside a bag/sack.
Icesus Administration
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

For the cart entering a set of aliases can be made. You must set the variable delim to something that you dont use (i do '$' without the '' of course). Then do your aliases like this:

alias incart unlock cart;enter cart;lock cart

then set the delim to ';' or whatever you used inbetween those alias commands. Now if you type 'incart' all these 3 commands will be done. This is of course not foolproof- there migh be many carts in room, the cart migh be already unlocked etc.
And similar multi-command aliases can be made for all the other things too.
grainer
Supporting Member 2015

Post by grainer »

artic wrote:alias incart unlock cart;enter cart;lock cart
Even better thing is to put
alias incart unlock cart $;enter cart $;lock cart $
that way you can 'look cart', 'look cart 2', etc to see which one is yours and then type 'incart 3' for example.

edit: of course with this you need to set your delim something alse than ; or $. ;)
cutter
Wizard

Re: A few ideas.

Post by cutter »

amerek wrote:2. Currently, if you make a typo in the target of your spell, the spell finishes but doesn't cast at a monster. Would it be possible to check for the spell target before you are allowed to cast (instead of having to wait for the timer to reach 0)? My spells fail enough without me having to worry about my typing :)
Besides what Idles already explained about casting without target, there's a good reason to allow any target for a spell, namely chaining a spell into a monster that moves around, you really want to be able to start the spell in advance and wait for the monster to come in.
#define BITCOUNT(x) (((BX_(x)+(BX_(x)>>4)) & 0x0F0F0F0F) % 255)
#define BX_(x) ((x) - (((x)>>1)&0x77777777) - (((x)>>2)&0x33333333) - (((x)>>3)&0x11111111))
idles
Site Admin

Post by idles »

grainer wrote:of course with this you need to set your delim something alse than ; or $. ;)
I've found it very handy to set the delim to be multiple characters. For example, at the moment my delim is ;;;. That way it doesn't mess my smilies.

hint: those who don't know how to use delim, do 'set delim ;;;'
Icesus Administration
cutter
Wizard

Post by cutter »

While we're talking about delims, here's another free tip:

Prepending '@' to the command bypasses most of the command preprocessing, thus you can say/tell/whatever things that contain nicknames, command delimiters and such without those getting in the way.

For example, if I have "nickname foo kalapala" and command delimiter set to ';;', I can still "@say foo;;bar" and it will result in me saying "foo;;bar", completely ignoring the command delimiter and nickname.
#define BITCOUNT(x) (((BX_(x)+(BX_(x)>>4)) & 0x0F0F0F0F) % 255)
#define BX_(x) ((x) - (((x)>>1)&0x77777777) - (((x)>>2)&0x33333333) - (((x)>>3)&0x11111111))