Players affecting the history of icesus?

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

What do you think about Players affecting the world history?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:26 am

I would surely read it during regens.
17%
I would also like to submit some material to the history.
17%
If my deeds would be noticed, i would RP more.
28%
If my deeds would be noticed, i would PK more.
No votes
All of the above.
28%
None of the above. For me history is pointless.
11%

Total votes: 18

artic
Supporting Member 2005

Players affecting the history of icesus?

Post by artic »

Would it not be nice if our actions would echo back in the history of Icesus. Wouldnt it be nice to hear from somwhere :
'On the 21st day in the month of Withering, in the year 225, assasins from the kingdom of Graemor launched an sneak attack against the citizens of Vaerlon. Spilled blood on their fair streets and retreated finding no resistance.'
And say: 'I was there, it was fun.' or 'Damn! And I was walking the dog when all this happened! How I would have wished to have been there!' Or would it not be nice to find that some of your other deeds have been noticed by the eye of history. And i dont mean 'Thakkrad won the fishing event, again!' Or 'Boldredboulderspiritreset wins the arena fight. All hail!'.

If such greater 'event' were noted somewhere, than maybe it would be easyer for wizards to come up with their own unique events, such as the earth-priest attack on vaerlon some 60 years ago, that is still the cause for martial law for some reason.

And another thing: i dont want to make a new post about this, but... Id like to see some multy-guild events. Similar to the militias horde event or the shadowdancers raid event, we could have an event where evil and good NPc's and players figh it out. Maybe militia, templars and mages are called to defend some sort of outpost in the wilderness, and sorcerers and shadowdancers would need to attack it. Event would be only for player who _want_ to join it and the number of Npc's would balance out, if one side has more player chars than others or generally higher level players than the other side. Im sure that anyone that likes the horde event or raid event, will also like that.

-----
P.S Thakkrad (or anyone else that wins fishing event a lot) i mean no disrespect.
Same goes for boldredboulderspiritrestet.
Last edited by artic on Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
apex

Post by apex »

I can only imagine how much work for wizzes and such adding something into in-game history annules would be for every time there was such an event.. but why not some sort of forum, or depository on the website? Have a wizard, or wizard(s) in charge of editing, send an article in to a wizard, and work till its fairly decent, and publish it on website, in history section. It would be there for all to see, give some regen fodder, attract people to the game, add an element of role-play, help imagery of the game, and whatnot. I can only begin to list the benifits of this.. You're on to something, Artic:)

I know i would submit things:) Artic why not create a poll on this topic and see what everyone else thinks?

-apex
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

I was actually thinking about something similar there Apex. The players that cause the "event" could later notify a wizard that has been marked as responsible for history, giving him a small desc of what happened, and when exactly that happened. The wizard could than check for some logs (if there are any) and look up what happened more exactly, maybe even get another opinion from the "other" side (so that history was not just writen by the winners, nor by people that lie).

And some other stuff should be in that history too, not just player-assaults.

P.S Apex , Its now a poll. :wink:
and i think you just spotted a new use for this- when a new player joins the game, he can easyly find out what is going on in the world. Thisway there would be less whining along the lines of :'Hey! I just joined the Shadowdancers yesterday, why is everyone angry at me?' or 'I am very loved in Vaerlon, why did a shadowdancer call me scum?' etc. When you read the world history you already have an idea of what sort of conflicts are going on and can deside of what side would you like to stay...
thoran
Wizard

Post by thoran »

1. Agree that would be much work. If a mortal could type it out, so that a wizard just needs to copypaste it to somewhere, then it would work.

2. Don't expect the game to react to things you have done. Sometimes it does, but all the changes need new code. Also, if the game doesn't react to the event, would that be illogical? Like if shadowdancers would attack vaerlon, killing men, raping the houses and burning the women, would it be silly that everything just goes on "as usual"? Probably there would be a change that no shadowdancer is ever allowed inside vaerlon again. So, if no one is going to do the change, maybe it is better that "none of that never happened"
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

I do see your point! But the example you just brought is no good. Im not allowed into the city of Vaerlon already. Not until i proove myself with _numerous_ good deeds or just wait a couple of "years" for everyone to forget my face. Some of the sadowdancers that took part of the raid are now attacked on sight. But that is just an example...

I dont know what would happen, if Vaerlonians would attack Graemor. If they kill assasins there, no-one cares, bacause assasins are not liked anywhere. if they kill citizens, they get bad rep and guards will aggro.
But im sure someone will come up with some sort of action that seemingly does not have any consequences. (right now i cant). But with tuning the rep system (making more rep affecting people all around the world like, making specific people angry at you, if you kill their relatives/guildsmen/friends etc) most player actions would get a response aoutomaticly.

The ting with players submitting the text that describes the event might not be such a good idea, cause if the event is succsessful for the player he'll make a big deal out of it, if the event fails, he'll prolly not mention it at all. So it wouldnt be quite fair.
brich

I'ld go for another option

Post by brich »

I would've voted with last option if not for "history is pointless" thingie. it would be nice to have a history of Icesus. A problem is history starting now would lack all that hapened before and there were many major things in the past. On the other hand IRL history was rebuilt from records memories and such . What hapened before an official start of records could be rebuilt at least partialy.
I disgagree in a way with this rp/pk/event related history for the simple fact that history is not made by a person set on "making history"...it is made by event that occur due Many Impostant circumastances. A history of Icesus could have "first time that happened" things or "all were extremely affected by..." things. Teladan swallowed by waters, first time ever someone killed Ereldon or the red carpet event
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

I many times mentioned that also "other stuff" would end up in the history, not just the player-events such as rp/pk attacks on guilds/cities. Brich has gone more in detail with the "ather stuff. I would have it no other way than for the history to involve "first time ever" things. Also I think Wizard inserted/created history can go in the "records" such as the "all were affected by" things (Like the tealdan issue and the Unique quests, that are run once in a livetime and leave us with memories that last for a long time- like the attack on vaerlon that resulted in the martial law).
I also believe that the "record" should begin with the words 'As far as we can remember...' meaning if people can remember specific events from the past, those event should be added to the history records. Thisway we would no longer have to rely on the memory of a few, we would have a public record of things, like a cronicle. And a cronicle has to be fair, it has to remember both: the hearoes of the past and the present.

-------
As a side note: As far as i know history has been made by people that were simply bent on "making history". Maby a man have done incredible things just so their name would be remembered through the ages. Mostly they made stupid things, things wich only bring them shame- but they are remembered... for their stupidity.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Here are some of the ideas i have had on how to get the facts out of the people.
In vaerlon a old sage opens up a bookstore for rare and old books. He is quite a writer himself and very interested in the history of the valley. Infact he is planning of writing the cronicle of Icesus. and ask any willing player for their help. The player than can use a similar command to typo reporting, or mudmail sending (multiple questions) to post a/some record(s). Of course the text area would have to be a bit bigger than that of the typo reporting. He would have to give the time when the event took place, who participated and a small desc of what exactly happened. This record would than have to be looked through by a wizard to avoid lies and put together multiple posts about one event. If possible the exact time can be found via logs. These records and other stuff mentioned by brich could than be used to construct the cronicle.

This mehtod would rely on the honesty of the people, so im not quite sure if it would work :(
brich

it is viable

Post by brich »

It sounds about the only way to do it. This can only be made with players cooperation and under wizards/highbies coordonation. A good and required source of records would be game-info if it has been kept track of it. There sure are people who log and so it surely has been saved there too. All we need is this historian to be "created".
thoran
Wizard

Post by thoran »

So, why not just have a thread here in the forums, describing events? From time to time, the most important events could be applied to the game. Notice "Could be", not "will be"
brich

such a thread would help

Post by brich »

Such a thread would help The Official History of Icesus.It might be the source were Wizards/highbies in charge of selecting history material would select from :) Main problem with threads is that people keep posting things :cry:
For certain we'ld like the history to be recorded and available in the Snowfall too... I havent entered that place like in a year or so but I promise I will soon... Personnaly I wouldn't like the history shown on webpage,available to anyone. Like there are history records arround Icesus (very old history) and people go : "the history file is so short", Well beeing a thing esentialy related to the life in Icesus it shouldn't be a help file or so but something gained by exploring. I'm trying to say something but don't succeed much now do I?
felgand

Post by felgand »

None of this actually requires any coding at all. If you're interested in scribing the history of Icesus you're absolutely free to...and even post it on the forums (probably in Regen fodder) for everyone to enjoy. :) Besides, it wouldn't make good static code...part of the fun in history is the storytelling behind it...that means each entry would either have to be hand-written (and lots of time taken away from coding cool stuff like a well-made quest or two. ;) ) or we'd have a boring laundry list of events that occurred.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

1) It sertainly can't be a thread in the forum. haveing a thread might help gather info, but it cant be the main it. Or You would have to put someone in charge of that thread to delete the lies, the replies to posts that are too single sided and offencive towards the losing side, edit those single sided or offensive posts, remove/merge more than one post about a single event. etc, etc.

2) I agree with Brich. It would be nice to take a book from the library of snowfall (or some other place like a bookstore) and read it while you regen.

3) I agree with felgand that it would require some great effort and talent to make the cronicle a interesting thing to read and a static code just wouldnt do. So we would most certainly need a human hand in there.

Heres how it can work: Info is gathered via the NPC i mentioned above. The authorised "person" then would regulary review that info and construct/update a txt file. That txt file could be used as content for a webpage and/or a book in the mud.
I would valunteer for the "person" position but i do lack any sort of talent and in truth im am not quite neutral towards the latest world events. But if enough people insist on it and no other valunteers could be found id do it.
felgand

Post by felgand »

It can certainly be a thread on the forum. I'm not saying that all of Icesusian history should be condensed onto a single thread...but having logical topics or even many topics on different points in history would be fine.
apex

Post by apex »

Perhaps we have a history thread in forums, and players can write about their own events, or elaborate on past-events (some of which may just be elaborations on what the background info on Icesus tells us, never had to actually happen)-

and maybe - a seperate site, or forum, in which the wizzies could grab the best written articles, and string them together in a grand histroy of icesus, in a sort of diary or scroll sort of format... This way only notable entries would be put in, and it could be made standable to read.

Could be a great addition:)