Losing Mounts

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Hmm, it would be nice ir rangers or maybe shadowdancers could use their tracking skills to track a mount. Than a player would have to find a helpfull rager/shadowdancer point him in a direction of where he last remebers having his mount and then the ranger could follow the tracks to the mount or the remains of the mount. Or rangers could get a new skill to capture the runaway mounts. A mix of tracking and hunting with some rope throwing maybe could result in finding a mount lost during the last 3 boots. If a mount is lost for longer, it be too wild to capture so it will be removed from some temporary table. Also losing-recapturing a mount would make it wilder, make it forget some of the feats that they have been trained. So they would need partial retraining depending on how long it was in the wild. It would be a nice entertainment for rangers, a way to make money and usefull for people with mounts (lost mounts :)).

I would not like to see mount being teleported:
Ereldon starts consentrating on a spell.
A hole opens in space and a Huge Mammoth falls out of it!??
or:
You are in the void. Its like being underwater, all around you you can see currents of energy swirld. Something Huge and Hairy drifts by with Immense speed making a WHIEUUUUW! sound.!!??

Its like your mother always says, if you get yourself an animal you are responsible for it. So take good care of your mount and leave a crack in the window of your cart. But some simple warnings could be added to avoid the simple forgeting. Id curse myself for weeks if id just forget a 1Mil + mount and it be lost for ever.
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

I think I lost two mounts to starvation over my icesus time. One was tied in the snow, then just gone when I got back, no trace. The other, I was killed off of in the snow (darn snow) and I couldn't find it when I got back.

It would be nice if a starved mount left some record of its starvation, like an emaciated carcass or something. That would at least provide closure.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

misrobo wrote: It would be nice if a starved mount left some record of its starvation, like an emaciated carcass or something. That would at least provide closure.
I agree, if a mount "runs away", and then dies, it would be nice if it left a more permanent sign of its death. So you wouldnt keep looking for it.
brich

old idea

Post by brich »

Ok...this is an old idea of mine. What if a player that owns a mount and has a rented stable could pay a certain sum like we pay for the stable or locker and ensure that before each boot the stablemasters servants (stableworkers) search for the mount if the player is idle for a certain time or offline and return it to stable. yeap...brilliant huh? :shock:
belannaer
Wizard

Re: Losing Mounts

Post by belannaer »

allanon wrote: 1) Some kind of "tracking device". Collars that track your mount's position, for example. It would be similar to the skill "Orinteering"-you type "locate mount" or something and you get vague directions as to where your mount is.
No.
allanon wrote: 2) Warning message when you leave the game. This is by far the easiest solution: before the player is allowed to log off the game checks to see if the player's mount is in his stall. If it is not, the player is given some sort of warning message before he leaves the game: "Your mount has not been returned to its stall. Quit anyways? Type yes or no." The player would then slap his forehead at his stupidity, return the mount, and then log out. Of course, this is counting on the fact that the player sees the message in the first place, so it should be highlited.
Never.
allanon wrote: 3) Enable mounts to be transportable via rifts and/or mage's "Return home" spell so they are not accidentally left behind.
Causes more problems than good.
allanon wrote: 4) New service for Ereldon: "tell ereldon teleport mount". Ereldon would teleport your mount (including any attached vehicles) with you riding on it. Cost would perhaps be a little higher, depending on the size of the mount.
No.
allanon wrote: 5) This wouldn't help you, per se, but it would be a nice feature: "Your mount has died" notification. A mail is sent to you informing you of when, where, and why your mount died. Saves you the trouble of searching for a dead mount.
No. I don't like idea of getting message from something happening what you actually don't see happening. If you are on vacation on the other side of the world and your cat dies will you get message "Your cat has died" into your head? I don't, though I don't even own a cat. Maybe that's why...
allanon wrote: 6) Icesus could start selling Icesus-brand gingko bibloa and other herbs to improve memory. Good for Icesus and the players.
Try coca-cola, works for me.
allanon wrote: And if you're really that forgetful and/or irresponsible that you would need any of these ideas, just don't buy a mount in the first place.
Yep yep.
cutter
Wizard

Re: old idea

Post by cutter »

brich wrote:Ok...this is an old idea of mine. What if a player that owns a mount and has a rented stable could pay a certain sum like we pay for the stable or locker and ensure that before each boot the stablemasters servants (stableworkers) search for the mount if the player is idle for a certain time or offline and return it to stable. yeap...brilliant huh? :shock:
Personally I don't see a need for having safeguards for everything - the risks are part of the game and what makes it challenging. If you have something really valuable you should be really careful with it...
#define BITCOUNT(x) (((BX_(x)+(BX_(x)>>4)) & 0x0F0F0F0F) % 255)
#define BX_(x) ((x) - (((x)>>1)&0x77777777) - (((x)>>2)&0x33333333) - (((x)>>3)&0x11111111))
belannaer
Wizard

Re: old idea

Post by belannaer »

cutter wrote:Personally I don't see a need for having safeguards for everything - the risks are part of the game and what makes it challenging. If you have something really valuable you should be really careful with it...
Agreed. Actually you can't even lose a mount in anyway if you take a good care of it.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Any feedback on the mount finding and mount corpses remaining longer idea? Cutter, Belannaer?
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

artic wrote:Any feedback on the mount finding and mount corpses remaining longer idea? Cutter, Belannaer?
You can already use tracking to follow the path that the player has walked while riding on a mount. Having monster corpses remain is unnecessary as room cleanup is going to eat them anyway before you find it if you have already waited for so long that your mount died of starvation/dehydration.