rebirth or whatever

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

What do you think of 'Rebirthing'

Poll ended at Tue Oct 19, 2004 03:27 am

It should be allowed.
67%
Abstain.
7%
No, I don't think it should be allowed, even if voluntary.
27%

Total votes: 15

solar
Supporting Member 2020

rebirth or whatever

Post by solar »

We had players who discussed "Rebirthing" on the chat channel. So I decided to open it here, too.

Basically, rebirthing is a suicide-like thing where you start anew (doable after reaching a certain total worth), forsaking your experience points, items and so on, while
getting the benefits of a bunch of new features after the rebirth. (new races and such).

So... feel free to discuss your personal opinions here, who knows, we might even end up with something that will be coded :D

Okay then, let's give it a kickstart, my opinion/idea on rebirthing:

Things concerning the rebirther:

Players keep their masteries. (Masteries are the reward for devoting one's time to a particular guild, should not be erased)

Players keep their marked eq (There should be a wizard to check if the player has given some of his/her eq to another player for safekeeping, so that they won't be destroyed because of the rebirth). Unique and ungettable eq are also kept.

Players keep their permanent divine favours.

Players keep their aliases, nicknames, notebooks and such.

Players keep their houses and furniture (but not the eq in the racks/chests)

Quests that are done are kept. No second time rewards for quests that are supposed to reward the player only once.

After rebirthing:

Players won't get a personal exprate bonus

Players might get access to new rebirth-only races (someone has to code them, though)

Some extra (skills that are previously not learnable by doing) or all skills would be learnable by doing to a certain point (like 30%)

That's all I could think of... Perhaps you have (possibly even better) ideas regarding this topic?
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
thoran
Wizard

Post by thoran »

so, basically you are saying that a player who has a rebirth just loses all the exp he has. Nothing else. All the eq he wants to save, can be marked or probably is already, rooms etc save...
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

I can not understand why one would like to lose all the exp, unless the tradeoff would be worth it. And for it to be worth it, it would have to be really something great. And Im estonian, it hurts me to see, someone else is getting something great, so NO, i dont think this should be allowed.

Although i do think that we could have some more exotic races/classes in wich playing would be interesting, yet so difficult and challenging that reincing into those races/classes would only be allowed at quite high levels. To avoid newbies getting stuck and asking silly questions that all would be very self explanatory after some extensive playing.

Also your idea of skills being learnable by doing is a Huge benefit and i dont understand why would being reborn make you suddenly more able to learn. I already think that a lot of "make something out of nothing" skills should be learnable , but they are not. Meaning everyone is unable to learn from their mistake, they all keep making same crappy stuff, until they are teached by a proffecional. Why would being reborn make you "special" and allow your brain actually to work?

If a level 100 player is bored, because he has nowhere to grow, we can give him a new race- A perfect race, good for both tanking and casting yet has a memory problem, so exp gain would be lowered and training costs raised. This way the bored level 100 player would get another challenge.
molden

Post by molden »

artic wrote:If a level 100 player is bored, because he has nowhere to grow, we can give him a new race- A perfect race, good for both tanking and casting yet has a memory problem, so exp gain would be lowered and training costs raised. This way the bored level 100 player would get another challenge.
If you would give any big bonuses, it would be probably impossible to balance. We would have big bunch of bad ass HC mudders as rebirth klling machines in no time.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

rebirth

Post by solar »

Yes, and no, Thoran.
Marked eq are unmarkable. And marked eq get eqdamage if used by someone else. If this seems too overpowering, allow no eqs to kept at all. I suggested marked eq being saved because some of the eqs are rare/ungettable/unique and should not be lost in this manner.

But if only exp were to be lost, it wouldn't be that hard to implement, now would it? :D

And I don't these rebirthers to get that great bonuses. Not necessarily are those "new" races better ones than the ones that are available right now. Ogres, for example, wouldn't differ that much from firbolgs... except that are uglier and have less brains. But being the ogre signifies that the player has rebirthed.

About those skills to be learnable by doing... I left it in the air, so to speak. Saying that maybe some extra skills would and not how fast they are learnable or so... And the process to become multipurpose tool of slaying would take its time, no mage would faster skills like "offensive battle strategy" or "enhance criticals" this manner in a blink of an eye.

And exploss can be severe, too. When you could solo multiple kilos of exp/minute and you were to suddenly drop to now being able to even reach 300exp/minute solo... You might not like it.

Now, we are getting somewhere. Keep more suggestions coming, perhaps the "best" and most suitable one will be implemented.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.