Commands available while meditating

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

rotax

Post by rotax »

I dont think emotes should be available during meditation... however, I noticed some channels (like chat) can be used while meditating, but others (like wanted) cannot.

You just wait till I save up the 20m silver needed to buy my own channel...
felgand

Post by felgand »

I don't think time should be a command usable through meditation. It's conceivable that a player has to actively look at the skies, etc to judge the time and phase...so it's not really a non-interactive command.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

felgand wrote:I don't think time should be a command usable through meditation. It's conceivable that a player has to actively look at the skies, etc to judge the time and phase...so it's not really a non-interactive command.
That rule would also rule out 'slots' 'i' and 'eq'.
felgand

Post by felgand »

Works for me.
rotax

Post by rotax »

Yet you can set up your prompt to show the time of day, so all you need to do is press enter while you are meditating to see the time of day.
quintosh
Supporting Member 2014

Post by quintosh »

Atreus mentioned inventory, that shouldnt be there either imo :p After all, it is looking, in a way
solar
Supporting Member 2020

as if all this matters

Post by solar »

Hey come on! When character starts to meditate, why should he/she/it LOSE his/her/its memory?! Sure, if you keep your eyes closed you can't look at things... but that doesn't mean that you _can't_ remember what it looked like. Same thing with meditation: it's about moving one's conscious mind to 'the next level'.

'Time'-command should be enabled because character just might keep his/her/its sense of time because of the higher awareness he/she/it dwells in, no? And thus be capable of calculating the passing of time with the help of his/her/its own heartbeat interval...

Same thing with inventory: We can presume that there is no inventory interaction while meditating, so memory here plays another vital part. It's not about looking at things, but remembering what was.

And because roleplaying is accepted, we can presume that while the player doesn't remember, the character _does_.

(Same thing with those bloody exact syntaxes for doing 'quest' or 'semi-quest' interaction. If more than one verb can be used to 'do the right thing in order to proceed', why should the player have to 'bang his/her/its head against the wall'?)

Right? :>
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
rotax

Post by rotax »

I guess "remembering" tranlates to "scrolling up" :p
cazouh

Post by cazouh »

These were interesting thoughts. I especially like Felgand's idea that you need to look at the sky to tell the time, so it would be unrealistic to be able to tell the time while sleeping. However, it reminded me of the unrealisticness of being able to say something to someone who is far away, i.e. the 'tell' command.
Altogether I don't see a reason to prohibit the use of 'time', as well as the inventory related commands, I think that enabling them wouldn't harm the gameplay or the 'realisticness' in any way. (Of course the final decision is not in my hands.)

So now I try to compile the commands that I know of, which are disabled while sleeping and meditating, and perhaps shouldn't/needn't be.

Code: Select all

hp, pwho, party status-row, party kills, party shares, party kick, time, plan, describe, activate, blessings, emotes, title, battle, mon, away, kill list, pray list, eq, slots, inventory
By the way, what do you think about the 'tell' command? I was careful compiling the list, so I didn't include it, not being so obviously 'innocent' as the others, but - why shouldn't it be used while meditating? I'd like to hear your opinions and thoughts about it.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Post by solar »

Well... the way I see it, tell shouldn't be usable, since our channel system has this neat feature called 'meditalk', which costs 10 or 20m (can't remember which one).

Friendly solution: 'meditell', pay several m of money and you get to use tell while meditating, cool huh? :>
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
apog
Supporting Member 2009

Post by apog »

Meditation is a deep relaxation. Eyes closed, mind focusing, mind blanking exercise. I do meditation myself and the goal is to push everything wordly out of your mind. When I'm meditating I'm not thinking about what time it is, how I'm going to attack my next enemy (or company meeting), what I'm wearing or whether I've got my necklace of uber-boss slaying on. For me, any command that takes more than a split second to think about or requires me to look or concentrate is out.