new runes

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

khade
Supporting Member 2013

new runes

Post by khade »

awhile ago, in the monk channel, i saw a wish for some new runes. i have some ideas for some new ones. these would be different from the others in that there can only be one of them active at a time. heart of the dragon, heart of the phoenix, and heart of the griffin. the first would increase, by 50% each level, your hp, the second would increase your attack speed, and the third would increase your ep by the same amount ask the first. these runes would be so powerful and difficult to use, that you could only get 3 levels of them.
boac

Post by boac »

I also would like that runes could be active even if you 'leave game' and they would be active for 48 hours from the time of activation and would eventually deactivate (after the 48 hours). It's quite annoying when you exp only little in boot and get one or two runes active and then you're finished your exping already :|
agnes
Supporting Member 2010

Post by agnes »

They do sound very cool (i mean the rune names). But they do already have some of the runes so... I don't think it would be a good idea to add some more. :D
chae

runes are good

Post by chae »

I think that the monk needs these new runes because I think that that class uses stats like ep and hp faster then any of the other combat guilds, so to add runs that incress hp and ep is a good idea and fits with the monk concept can't air priests incress your total hp why can't the monk class do it for themselves. I also think that at high levels monks should have a spectral claws type spells I want my hands to flame!!!!!

moving forward I also agree that the runes should persist even after a leave game because they take a half hour at least to charge and unless your willing to idle all day you spend much more time charging your runes then using them.

oh I wait the day a guy with 4mill exp and a level 24 character can make 1k a min exp :)
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

Flaming hands is too much of an cliche, i would rather like to see their fists or feet enchanted with sonic damage, or some other damage, sonic damage would fit in nicely due to their fast hit speed. Maybe something that enchants their fists with sonic damage if you specialize in fists and if you specialice in legs you could make stronger kicks with some kinda rune that adds physical damage, making monks able to do other than phys dam too.

Making specializing into one of these should make more difference too.

For example: Specializing on the art with fists you would attack more repeatingly but would do little lesser damage. And with feets it would go other way, more dam less speed. Or you just could choose the middle way and go with both. Then you would not gain any specialties.

However, i would like to see monks to have some combat starting ki strike or something, pushing pressure points weakening the monsters resistance or defensive abilities a bit, and some move silently/hide skills would be a nice addon for this..
I'd also like to see something that really makes putting exp to dex worth it as a monk. Maybe if you specialize with hands and you are a small race you could hit astonishingly fast, and if you go for larger race with huge str you would hit slow, but would pound slow accurate kicks with huge damage.

I see an Giant sized brogh monk with very low dex and high str not too monkish at all, they should be more concentrating on their fast movement than str.

~Zoy
harlonus
Supporting Member 2014

Post by harlonus »

Agree with Boac, normally i play during weekends and i really dont have time to load all my runes and if you are going to make even more runes these _will_ be a pain in the ass :(

and now you are saying that i should reinc to some other guild, yep im going to, but my opinion is that increasing the amount of runes isnt an answer to make monks rock more(and get some balance between shapeshifters and monks) because players dont have time to load all of them in one boot.

and lets not forget that you have to meditate many, many hours of rl time if you want to make any damage with your 'motion of combat' skill
syder
Supporting Member 2016

Post by syder »

Monks having some hide skills could be effective if coded so that the monsters don't pay much attention to monks in combat. For example a monster with general wisdom and combat expertise sees a full plate templar havin HUGE sword with all the glitter of spells & effects. I bet he'll pay much more attention to that person in combat so it'll leave the monk a nice edge on striking critical areas and totally surprise the mob.

Ki strike, yes where is that, body slam was nice addition until i found it useless, every monster has _very_ high contact reflexes skill. So it makes the whole maneuver a bit of waste. Anyways different combinations of techniques would be a bonus, some learnable by doing like skills or then pure masteries. And i bet you should agree to Yoz when talking about _dex_ monks, i have always seen monks as very very high speed and ac in combat rather than brogh beastfighters with huge fists.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

if monks get the Ki attack, i think that, as ki is the spirit part of a person(egyptian mythology), that attack should use a fairly large amount of the glow in the gem and at least 1/4 of the monks life to use. otherwise it would be much too powerful, maybe there should be a time limit as well.
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

erm, why should it? it wouldnt be overpowered, check shadowdancers and backstab. Would be totally useless if it could only be used like once per day because of the glow drop. I'd rather think Ki strike to be a strike that makes you concentrate yourself 100% to deliver it succesfully on the monster, stunning it or something for long duration of time. Naturally each monster could only be ki'd only once.

I am not after any instakill megauberspecial skill for monks to kill every monster with. Im just wanting to see something neat good looking skill to start the battle with. skilled monks rarely charge in battle without trying to disable the enemy first. That berzerkish attack thing is a thing for beastfighters or such brawlers, not for monks.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

if it is like that, then i don't think it should do much damage at all, mostly just massive stunning.
oh, and i was wrong: ka is the egyption spirit, not ki.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

monks are mainly dex, it is what keeps them alive
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

bs that is. (if you meant in icesus)

High str monk beats high dex monk in icesus anytime.

Monks just dont dodge/avoid enough.
Or hit fast enough.
dyzmal

Post by dyzmal »

ki (chi) is energy, used in the ancient art of Chi Kung, a form of martial arts that has been made popular by shows like Dragonball.
chae

high damage, high contact reflexes ?

Post by chae »

I think the main reason for the Ki strike (which I think is mostly about the yell you hear martial arts practitioners scream when they break board in example) is that body slam should stun the monster, I think that other than incressed damage which could be resisted though a skill like contact reflexes we should be able to go up against a mobs determination skill. Monks do considerable damage but they do not dodge much and I would love to see a way for them to perserve there hps. I think that balence issues could be resolved by not allow it to work with Motion of Combat, by having a high chance of stun but regular puch damage with Ki strick or the higher damage of MoC would make that choice more interesting and would allow parties of monks to be more effective.

I also think that yes monks need to hit more often then they do now, I understand that higher levels this works out more, having seen four and five attacks a round out of some monks, but at low levels having three attacks or two and a half attacks a round while just about every monster gets two makes little sense to me. They are monks, trained to rain down fists and feet on their foes in a withering assualt, now the idea of a giant monk is deeply frightening all of that silk they have to wear has got to be expensive and colourful. Though I think more frightening yet would be seeing a mold man lay down five plus attacks per a monsters two, and heck they are ust swinging their fists and feet so how long do those take to get back into a ready position. those new rune would make the monks more monkish :)