a new background for major highbies

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

khade
Supporting Member 2013

a new background for major highbies

Post by khade »

a good background, that should be very regulated, could be the hero background: you are a person blessed by one of the elemental gods, they worship that one from the beginning. they get some random bonuses and the god loves them and give them bonuses. they would need unique quests, as heroes need their own quest, so it would be time consuming for a wizard, and so there would never be many of them, but it would be fun for everyone who helps. i think that there will never be more then 5 heroes at a time in the game. i need to leave, if i have time, i will finish this idea.
stalker
Wizard

Re: a new background for major highbies

Post by stalker »

khade wrote:a good background, that should be very regulated, could be the hero background: you are a person blessed by one of the elemental gods, they worship that one from the beginning. they get some random bonuses and the god loves them and give them bonuses. they would need unique quests, as heroes need their own quest, so it would be time consuming for a wizard, and so there would never be many of them, but it would be fun for everyone who helps. i think that there will never be more then 5 heroes at a time in the game. i need to leave, if i have time, i will finish this idea.
there ought to be some negative aspects in being a hero as such, as major highbies already kick ass in excess :> just to be able to rock even more might not be very rewarding, if becoming a hero would not require sacrifice.. :wink:
Stalker
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

Well a hero ought to serve his elemental god. That ought to at least be an inconvenience. In keeping with the general theme of promoting partying...

1) create an object, say "favour of the water element"
2) a player comes into possesion of this element. maybe a quest, maybe random eq, DF sacrifice... something.
3) the possesor of the "favour of the water element" can then activate it, compelling the hero of the water element to come and party with them at reduced share for some minimum period of time.
4) if the hero fails to respond then they get nasty nether effects
5) after the compulsory period ends the hero is free to go, or stay. If he stays, he can not be summoned away by another favour until, say... three times the minimum time have elapse.
6) favours could come in different sizes (time durations).

Socially enforced rules would be that the hero would be cheerful, helpful, and not resentful of being summoned. Well, maybe not too cheerful, but must legitimately try to be helpful.

A player that signs up as a hero would give up some of their freedom in exchange for their hero bonus, they would get to meet lots of players, and see the world.

There would be a lot of details to get right...
1) The hero should be big, but not too big. Maybe only allow a hero over 150% the exp total of the summoning party.
2) The favours should be gettable, perhaps with some effort, so that when a hero wants to be in an eq party with his buddies, they can get a favour and summon him, effectively blocking other people from summoning
3) The favour summoning might need to translocate the hero to the party to avoid odd delay in travel
4) Most of making this work would be in the hero player's attitude and actions. A grumpy hero would make polite players reluctant to summon. Someone who takes the hero background has to really want to play the hero.
5) Getting your hero killed ought to have some repercussions.
6) The hero might get their exp "on the side", not out of the party total, but rather from their heroing. Sort of like leader bonuses or the old one-shot-kill hunting bonuses.
7) A hero should have a way of declaring themselves unsummonable for some reasonable period, they have to have some to time to themselves after all.
8 ) A hero that gets killed on a mission might need to have a reduced exp-loss. He is putting his life in the hands of random fools.

Oh look, it turned into lots of code that touches a bunch of different pieces of the game. Sigh.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

i was thinking that the someone who is willing gets chosen as a hero by the wizards. there should be some guilds that a hero can't join, such as shadowdancers, and maybe they can't run because of their heroism, at least some of the time
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

I think it would be cool, to find an "elemental shard" and use it at that elements main altar to summon a hero into your party. Its an amazing idea!!