Apprenticing

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

Should there be Apprenticing

Yes
73%
Yes, and I want to be the first trainer
7%
No
20%

Total votes: 44

mandrake

Apprenticing

Post by mandrake »

This just a idea I had while trying to learn somethings about the world and about my guild.

I think it could be fun an usefull if lower level players could apprentice with higher level players, but only of the same guild.
That way newbies could figure things out faster an spend more time on exploreing, looting, leveling or whatever it is they like to do insted of spending so much time on trying to figure stuff out an hunt down some one willing to help them.

It should work kinda like partying, the lower level player asks for some one to apprentice with an when some one offers to let them they join them in a apprenticing party where only the person doin the training can lead.

No real bonuses to the one getting trained other then learning more about the world an their guild, but there should me some kind of exp bonus for the trainer like a slight boost in exp when fighting an maybe a steddy( but small ) exp gain.

Although there might need to be some kind of time limit on how long some one can train some one else if there is a steddy exp gain so people can't abuse it by just training partying with some one they always party with anyway. Like maybe they can only train for one real time hour every four real time hours or something?

Please tell me what ya think
croli

actually I had a similar idea quite some time ago...

Post by croli »

... but then the idea command disappeared :)

Anyway, I think it would be nice if you could teach other players the skills you know, but only up to the level you have (or a bit less). In return, you'd receive some exp for teaching the skill, while the lowbie learning from you would only use their exp instead of exp+money at the guild. The money bit could make teachings sellable, to not whack the balance totally.

Stupid idea? Yeah, stupid ideas, that's me :P
mandrake

Post by mandrake »

Actually I don't like the idea of learnin skills directly from other players, I was thinking that it would just be learnin how to an when to use ya skills from others....like they show you what skills would work better for some one in ya guild to use at what time......thats why I said only people of the same guild, cause they will have done the lower level you are at an be able to give pointers on what to do at that level..but thanks for the support! :D
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

if players can teach skills, they should only be able to teach 1/4 of their %.
phu

Post by phu »

I like the idea of players teachin players..but the teacher should lose exp for teaching..aka his givin his experiance to the student..and I like the apprentice idea, maybe the "master" gets money continuosly, like a silver every couple of seconds or something, I mean it is a job :)

just my two pennies
Run!! its the Mooses again!!
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

..but the teacher should lose exp for teaching..
So the more one teaches, the less one knows about the topic? This could explain a lot about my college education.
asventral
Supporting Member 2007

Post by asventral »

I think teaching abilities would be great.
Imho i think a player should be able to learn something from another player if he's from the same guild and with the maximum allowed by his own guild level. Wouldn't be fair to allow people to train offensive battle stretegy to 100% at level 1 (just a crazy example).
There could be some ind of open guild for that ... so the maximum level of the skill a player could teach would be linked with his/her teacher abilities (charisma ? wisdom ? intelligence ? related skill). I also think that there should be some money cost, perhaps a bit lower or learning this way shouldn't raise your guild donations.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

I think apprentice'ing is a good idea. I already teach some newbies how to work the more tricky guilds, but it sometimes gets bit hard. As a trainer i would like to see my apprentices skills/spells and masteries. Something like 'apprentice skills' and result is like if my apprentice used the command 'skills'. Also maybe see what aliases they have set up and any ohter things that are helpful while teaching. I dont really give a **** about if the teacher get any exp/money bonus, such a thing would be really hard to make abuse-proof anyway, but having special apprentice rules/commands would make teaching the game a bit easier.

About players teaching skills: It quite ok to be able to teach skills that are learnable by doing, with certain limitations:
a) The 1st % check still apply- no mage can train strike from another mage who has it from hes last life. Neither can a shadowdancer train 'rite of success', unless they already have the 1st %.
b) stat/level checks still apply- if the official trainer says you need more dex to train this skill any higher, every player will have to say the same.
c) a teaching limit must be enforced- in teacher has skill at 25% he can teach it to say 5% ?
d) training should cost both exp and money, but not as much as training from an NPC or guild.
mandrake

Post by mandrake »

I like some of the ideas being batted around on this, even though they are not inline with what I meant to start with, an while we have had a few votes cast for it(an one against) I really like to see what some of the wizs think of it(both my first idea and the ones it has spawned).
mandrake

Post by mandrake »

well from the fact that we haven't gotten anymore posts on this or votes nor had any wiz comment on it I guess the poll is over an while most of the votes were for it, it doesn't look like it will happen other then through player interaction. thanks for to those of you that kicked the idea around an those of you that voted no matter how you did vote.
iluth

Post by iluth »

I can remember a time when a fellow shadowdancer got a raise in shadowdancing skill from me, when i hid in the same room as him, also i remember a ranger managed to "teach" a party member some whirling blades.

It's rare but apparently possible to teach other players in some form.
felgand

Post by felgand »

I think Iluth's example provides a better method of apprenticeship. Instead of allowing players to directly train lower level players, the teacher and apprentice could spend some time together fighting. As the teacher fights, the apprentice has a chance to learn from his master. Learning in this way would still take money (guild fee), but would not require exp. A teacher would only be able to teach up to 1/3 of his current knowledge in the ability. In addition, any given skill may only be learned up to the max set by the apprentice's guild level...attempting to learn beyond this max is exponentially more difficult, though possible. Teaching itself should present no set award, though perhaps exceptional mentors may, from time to time, be awarded with a small amount of pdf for their good service. Hmm, also players over 10 million in total worth can no longer take on a mentor, likewise mentors have a minimum requirement of being over 100m in total worth or have spent more than a given amount of time playing the game (Let's say 5 weeks worth of online time and at least a 4 month-old character in good standing).

In this way, it would be possible for players to mentor outside of the apprentice's guild, but would only be able to effectively teach skills specific to the apprentice's main guild.
mandrake

Post by mandrake »

actually I never intended for players to learn skills directly from others in any way, I meant for them to help show newbies to the game an newbies to their guilds the ropes. insted of teaching them a skill I meant for them to help teach them when its is best to use a skill ie; "ok see this mob? if you use <Skill here> at him it will do ok but if you use <Skill here> it will really nail him".

As well I meant that they could help show them better places to go an explore, yes I know that we're not really sposta share info but frankly we all do an we know it, while some of the places I go I found on my own others were shown to me or told about to me by some one that had been playin longer an some of those that they told me about were shown to them in the first place. That is what I meant by apprenticing.
asventral
Supporting Member 2007

Post by asventral »

Something like "mentorship" ?
Would be fun and nice to have something like that in each guild ... skilled players to introduce newbies to the guild ... giving them general informations ... (that already can be done on guild channels btw)
felgand

Post by felgand »

If you're just aiming at having experienced players help the newer ones...this happens already, likely every day. Granted, there isn't an organization created purely for this task...but the effect is nearly the same. If you're interested in creating some sort of newbie-help group, you could get a few of the more experienced players interested and form one without needing extra admin coding or oversight (though you could get an admin to sponsor it if they're interested).