no forced preaching

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

etadan

no forced preaching

Post by etadan »

Most of us seen end of the world preachers in Vaerlon. They preach, we ignore them - the usual. But what i'm talking about, are the Air Priest preachers. They're so skillful at what they're doing, that they can hypnotize almost anyone, and the next thing you know, your'e lying in the gutter, with no money , and with.. erm, wrong preachers. Still, i'd like to be able to resist them, so unless they're have better charisma than my intelligence, i won't fall into trance
(You fall into a trance while listening to Lipides' sermon.)
so easily(would work normaly with fighter+healer, since fighters rarely have high int, do they?). And since they do ask
"Lipides preaches: Pray with me..."
, there shoule be "pray with <target>" for those who are willing to do it(ignorance is a bliss).

P.S. Shrug, maybe there realy isn't any negative effect from it, but
"Your faith in air grows stronger."
for someone who's worshiping Fire(not to mention Earth) is somewhat disturbing.
Beyond good..
iluth

Post by iluth »

Or some command like 'set ignore_preachers'

Especially annoying for us guys who worship earth, when some air priest comes along and catches you unawares (idling) and lowers your elemental alignment for free.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

iluth wrote:Or some command like 'set ignore_preachers'

Especially annoying for us guys who worship earth, when some air priest comes along and catches you unawares (idling) and lowers your elemental alignment for free.
What does this mean? Lowers my elementa alignment?? What effect does this have on me?
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Preacher, bah

Post by solar »

_As far as I know there are no_ downsides in preaching... except the "spam" and being pkilled by... ah nevermind.

On the other hand, there are many beneficial effects in it that I know of. (I don't know if I'm allowed to share this info, but some (most?) people really don't have _any_ clue.)

1. The preacher gets an almost non-existent amount of experience points. Not so useful for the players with lots of exp, but newbies could find this helpful.

2. The Elemental God reward those who spread 'the divine word' with a tiny amount of df... well atleast enough for few success rites...

3. Those who fall into the trance can be prayed _for_, regardless of what they worship and who prays. And praying uses the person's who prays divine favours to speed up the regeneration of the target. Templars are especially interested in praying for your well-being...

4. Preaching strengthens the glow surrounding the air_priests' altar, which (afaik) makes their spells succeed more often.

5. Some books (this I haven't witnessed myself, but I have heard people talking) have special effects when being preached from. 'Eternal banishment' for example...

So there you go. 5 reasons for you to behave yourselves ( = shut the **** up ) when someone preaches. :D

What is this "lowering of elemental alignment"? I find myself clueless.

BTW. These books cost money, so any player who has bought them should not be denied (or be looked down on for) preaching.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
etadan

Moo

Post by etadan »

1. Preacher gets little exp.
I don't think newbies that can actually find that little exp usefull, have money to buy those expensive books, and i'm not sure they even teach preaching at early levels.
2. little df.
Very nice for newbies if it gives at least 10df per person preached to, but once again, i'm not sure newbies get preaching skill.
3. Allows praying for people with different element.
Haven't seen much Air Priest praying for people outside theyre party, and those who are in party with them, can surely use 'pray with <target>'.
4. strengthens the glow of altar.
Always though it was purely sacrifice dependant, but *shrug*, maybe. Nice if so.
5. Special effects.
It'd be nice to see them.

2 and 4 are very good reasons towards preaching, imo, but the thought was not to disallow preaching completly. It was to give person ability to resist preaching, and still allow him to be preached to if he wants to.

As of "lowering of elemental alignment", i'm not sure what it is, but in rp sense it realy is wierd that followers of other elements would suddenly forget about they're elemental god for a minute, get prayed for, and then happily go to theyre own altar and sacrifice stuff to original god. God doesn't even seem to be angry at you for betraying him.
Beyond good..
iluth

Post by iluth »

Just repeating something i heard on chat from a highbie who wouldn't usually talk rubbish about such things.

Alignment is actually the wrong word, it's apparently some (hidden) numerical value which shows how close you are to your element.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

From a RP point of view i do not like falling into a transe while listening to someone preaching, neither do i like my faith in air to become any stronger, as i hate air. So i think preaching to me without asking me first is kinda like the Jehoova whitnesses that go from door to door and spam about their belief being right and me being a filthy pagan.

Walking out of the room is an option, but i more like the Slam-the-door-in-their-face approach, that i use on the spammer mentioned above. So i say: if you are preaching without asking or _warning_ first, you are picking a fight of elements.
Last edited by artic on Wed Aug 25, 2004 22:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jared
Supporting Member 2018

Post by jared »

well, no one actually forces you to listen to the preaches, feel free to leave the room if you like :( You'd do the same thing if there would be similar thing to benefit you i bet ;)
felgand

Post by felgand »

I agree with Jared, preaching is a very easy skill to avoid if you so choose to. You simply have to leave the room. This, aside from slamming the door in the face of Jehovah witnesses (something you'd never think of doing, right? :P) is a very realistic and reasonable way of ignoring a sermon. In addition, when I was an earth templar, I saw no noticeable difference in my "alignment" with Dhubr, the god of earth, when I had been successfully preached to (tested mainly by praying and sacrifices for df). Also, the book folks are talking about, "Lust for Air" is quite inexpensive if you look in the store and any newbie should be able to afford one with minor effort....it's the other books that tend to be a bit more pricey. Also, players already seem to have an inbuilt resistance to becoming entranced by a prayer...just try preaching to a sorcerer. :D So, I don't think a specific command to ignore preaching is necessary at all.
malag
Supporting Member 2005

Post by malag »

And might add (did not read all so maybe this was all ready told) that not all listeners falls in the trans. If you have enough lvls (or something else) you can not be convinced unless the preacers is realy good in it (has spend a shit load of exp in a skill that no other use).
So get those lvl and you are immune

p.s Dam sriel - ill convince u one day - thats a promise