weapons

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

khade
Supporting Member 2013

weapons

Post by khade »

there are a couple weapons i notice are not used in icesus, and i think that others have noticed others that would be fun to use.
the first was called the sax or scramasax was the saxon version of the modern combat knife, or at least it is what the combat knife is based on. i looked it up on the internet and this is a site i found: http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_euroedge.html#sax

the next is a trident, a triple pronged spear, it could have a possibility of catching an enemy between the prongs.
another is the swordbreaker. there are many different types of this, but it was used to break the enemies weapon. in icesus it would be more likely to pull the weapon out of his hands.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

i should add that i can find little about swordbreakers, just sites wanting to sell swordbreaker daggers.
janeti
Supporting Member 2006

Sword Breakers

Post by janeti »

As I recall the Vampire cult in RuneQuest used sword breakers mainly to annoy the Humacti.

IRL I believe
a) they require a lot of skill, practice, strength and dexterity
b) I'm not sure about there effectiveness against good quality steel swords
c) they are pretty useless as an actual weapon against armoured opponents, basically a steel club that isn't well balanced.
d) they are absolutely useless if the opponent swaps to mace, axe or even greatsword [I'll just parry that, oops my sword breaker appears to be buried in my chest, on the bright side the greatsword only went half way through me]
e) it's possibly that they could be used in the offhand as a parry weapon, which means you need ambidexterity or even more skill, practice....

I'm not saying that they shouldn't be included but there are more important things to do first, and their use would be limited, most mobs don't use swords.

The sword breaker daggers I've seen would only work if the sword were made of balsa. And though they would work to trap the blade I gather that with a dagger parry (against a large weapon) you are trying to deflect the enemies blow not stop it by main force. So I guess that you would end up with the dagger shocked out of your hand, or possibly a broken wrist.

And there are a lot of other weapons that aren't included, but most weapons except the basic set we have were designed for a specific purpose or enemy, not as an all round useful weapon. Or they were 'peasent weapons' - converted tools that were better than nothing, sometimes a lot better - against the right opponent.

Can somebody who knows what they are talking about read this drivel and correct it as needed, I'm very tired and I think I'm babbling.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Ok, i have not seen a swordbreaker dagger, nor have i handled one. But Janeti is right- theres no way you can stop the blow of a heavy weapon with a dagger. You can only deflect the hit: slow it down a it and step away from it, kinda. With good luck you could block the hit with 2 daggers if it were to come from above, but mostly you would risk losing you grip on the daggers, breaking them or suffering some broken bones (at the right angle you could actually break a hole set of fingers, oh what fun).

P.S the strength of the opponent is very important here. If the enemy has insufficient strength to swing the heavy weapon with enough speed, blocking becomes possible. Lets take a two-hand sword or a claymore for example. If you go for a sideswing and are either too weak or tired to do it fast enough, a skilled enemy can easyly just kick the thing out of your hand (by kicking the part closest to the point of grip).

Anyway thats what i know about heavy weapons.
tanooki

Parrying Daggers

Post by tanooki »

I think you'll find the use of the sword-breaking dagger (aka parrying dagger) depends a lot on the era. They came into vogue more during the time when rapier's were more popular as these were light enough to parry and deflect with the dagger .. and potentially break if they got caught in the tines.

In Aegis, where people run around with greatsword and polearms, parrying daggers probably wouldn't really be all that useful and unlikely to be seen very often .. although if we do get a swashbuckler kind of class they'd be a nice touch :)
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

lets add boomerangs, it comes back after you throw it if it does not hit, or does a glancing blow
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Boomerang does not fit the theme of Icesus. Although the weapon existed a long time before, it was still discovered with the great world-travels quite late- thus it does not fit into a fantasy-medival time. if you are looking for a good throwing sword, you could use a more fantasy based approach- the moonsword or also sometimes called a ringsword. This is a ring-shaped or C-shaped metal blade with a sharpened edge. It has the ability to return to the thrower, if he be skilled enough. Unfortunatelly has never existed in the real medival times, but has been used in some fantasy based creations.

About the swordbreaker daggers, i wouldn't mind if they were added to the game. But, they should than clearly be made so that they would be of sime good against rapiers and other smaller and lighter weapons and just useless (and dangerous to the users health) when used against heavy weapondry such has battle-axes or two-hand swords.

Tridents sound like a nice addition. And they fit the era quite nicely.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

what about those springloaded(or whatever it was) knives that you do something with your wrist and then the knife comes out of the sleeve for casters that end up needing to slash at something very quickly?