Shadowdancer ideas.

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

zohlor
Supporting Member 2019

Post by zohlor »

Now now Felgand, do you have any firsthand experience about the Shadowdancers or the devotion system or have you just heard it all while being an Templar ?

It takes a long time to amass a good amount of devotion. (Altough it seems like it's easier to get it nowadays than before). I presume your only experience has been in killing the guild mobs for exp and/or easy eq. In fact, the mobs in Graemor are quite expy when compared to those in Vaerlon..

Zaec has an solid point in his post. The guild is in a terrible state. It lacks stuff and there are old bugs still floating around.

The guild hall hosts every event there is. The most SACRED room of the guild is there - where the 'Prayer' event takes place. Now, Shadowdancers have an direct link with the shadows and the so-called dark gods. If I am viewed as 'Avatar of the Dark Gods', then there should be benefits from that. I personaly do think that the most devoted worshippers of the shadow should be able to gather enough shadows around them for them to be able to phase to the guild hall. Personaly I think that the hall shouldn't even be in Graemor. The old location was just good. But there was need to quickly create reasons to live in Graemor. (By the way, Graemor could use an place where to sacrifice items for df and an shrine where to take blessings)

The status of the guild is pathetic at the moment. The code is hastily done and has many intresting 'features' in it. Everyone agrees that the guild needs to be worked on - yet who would take up the job ? Huck has disappeared and the few active gamebuilders are tied up at other projects.
You see us comin'
And you all together run for cover
We're taking over this town
felgand

Post by felgand »

I'm assuming you're attempting to present yourself as the authority on this, in which case several discrepencies appear in your arguments. I'm sure it takes a suitable amount of time to amass a large amount of devotion, which is parallel to any other guild attempting to gain in masteries or if you want an entirely direct parallel...miliita rank (though there are more ways to gain devotion than rank). It takes time to be good at any guild, regardless of of what they are...whether it is the need to gain skills learnable only through use, improving masteries, or yes, improving devotion. This is a common aspect that has deliberately been made difficult to reward players that have spent a longer amount of time within a single guild. Whether Graemor mobs give good exp or not is an entirely irrelvant argument when considering the Shadowdancer guild dynamics. I mean, the sorcerer guild guardian is a great eq mob, does that make them any weaker?

Okay, so you're the 'Avatar of the Dark Gods' (granted, there are only four elemental gods in Icesus at the moment, but we'll ignore that) what about air priests and earth priests that are the voice of Pthuule and Dubhr, respectively, or templars that are the Avatars of their gods...are they any less? Shouldn't air priests have much more of a reason of receiving a transportation spell over the shadowdancers by virtue that they worship an element that is always on the move and flighty? I mean, what moves more freely than the wind?

You misunderstand my previous posts on this subject, I don't mind giving shadowdancers the ability to teleport only to their own guild given the devotion for it..under certain restrictions. I think this will help to make it a tad more accessable to players. However, we shouldn't go overboard and allow dancers to perform all of the functions of a competant chronomancer (and at likely reduced cost) by allowing them to transport themselves to memorized locations. If you want to do that as a shadowdancer, suck it up and join a guild dedicated to moving people long distances like everyone else.

Several guilds require work...particularly militia, and using the principle of triage, I belive they should be looked at first. Militia are one of the first guilds joined by new players and should be more suitable for that task than they currently are.
zaec

dancers

Post by zaec »

Ok, the fact that you have never played a dancer really shows from your posts. And what I and obviously Zohlor is trying to tell here is the simple fact that the very evil-kinda stylish public image that dancers have and that shows to the outside really holds no content whatsoever. If you are even TRYING to compare the templars and dancers in power, good luck. You say that the templars are the avatars of their gods so why should the avatar of the dark gods get anything more or better? Even if the title for a dancer is 'The dark god herself' we're still crawling down the floor as worms when comparing in-game effectivity in general. Anyway, as we all know the idea here is not to discuss who should be how strong with what position and so on because the guilds in the end are not completely compareable. And in my humble opinion that if the effectivity can't be tuned up (which surely is not the thing to be seen in the next 2 years), the content must be finished or dramatically enhanced at least. And stop acting naive about ideas like a shadow shift spell for dancers, all spells and skills in a game like that can be justified in a thousands of ways, all ideas can be trampled down with an attitude like that. The idea behind these skills/spells that would only be for dancers serve the greatest purpose just by their simple existense: To build an unique shadowdancer guild/skillsystem that would give the guild the personal contents that it really needs. When enhancing the dancer-player's personal playing experience, and that's what this is all about, the easiest and the most natural way to improve it is by creating spells/skills like the shadow teleport or what ever do you want to call it or other features that don't necessarily affect to the actual effectivity of dancers, but actually gives the dancer-character much more personality and depth therefore improving the gaming experience. And with all kind of skills/spells that dont affect to the balance so much can the variety of features to be greatly increased. That has a direct impact to the devotion-based guildsystem which supports long-line players to enjoy the guild much more longer. That is not just possible with the guild at its current state.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Zaec is absolutelly right! The shadowdancer guild is really limited in its possibilities. I cast 'true darkness' once per login. I cast 'shadow barrier' once or twice per login. I attack with 'backstab' and finish figh with 'shadow strike'. Nothing fancy, always the same, always solo.
I could use 'herbalis' and 'mix pison' to be more of a assasin, but the poison research system is too complicated and time/money consuming to be worth it. The trouble and monetary investment made into researching a poison is far greater that buying the best poison form the ranger and training mixing.
I could also use 'shadwo sense', but i fail to see the point of spying on people- its not like i can do anything with the information i get, because of the PK rules and theres no spying on NPC's/close rooms/etc.
Oh and than theres 'rituals of darkness' with im not so sure about what it is supposed to do. You migh get a random bonus form it, rarely, well hardly ever, and i suppose it gives more offencive power, but thats not so clear.
Well i have 55 skilles learned. I only use 3 (not counting automatic use side-bonus skills).

Now about the power of NPC's in graemor. The guards of shadowdancers are above average and somewhat strong (if i remember correctly) but all the NPC's at Vaerlons Guilds are what Immensly powerful. ok i might have been a bit over reacting, but i have done a sweep at all the NPC's to find a weakpoint and all the guild npc's are stronger that the shadowdancers. Also all give bad reputation, and shadowdancers don't. OK, i can see why killing an assasin wouldn't give bad rep in the city, but maybe it should give bad rep withting the ranks if the shadwodancers. I mean if a shadowdancer attack the NPC's at the guild, he will be panned and killed on sight. And if a templar kills a guild NPC he is greeted and asked if hes here for joining?!?
Praised be the god of fire, may he bless me and my dark brethren with the warmth, and save me from the light of hes holy flames.
dyzmal

whoa

Post by dyzmal »

Ok lay off of Felgand he has a damn good point.

"I personaly do think that the most devoted worshippers of the shadow should be able to gather enough shadows around them for them to be able to phase to the guild hall."
I can play in the dark all day long but the darkness is not going to whisk me to another point or place in the world. Shadows are not transportation devices, people, they are there to hide in. Want to teleport to Graemor? Talk to Graemor's sage, or get some levels in Chronomancy, or use the damn portals CONVENIENTLY located in the Outworld. Getting to Graemor isn't any more difficult than getting to Vaerlon, bottom line, there is no reason what-so-ever to have a skill that teleports you there. It would be a waste of time, be you the Avatar of the Dark Gods or not. Getting back to Vaerlon? Buy a damn mount, or again, use the Outworld portals. My devotion title is "young" and even I can figure that out, it's not that damn hard, get over it, the idea is f-ing stupid.

"To build an unique shadowdancer guild/skillsystem that would give the guild the personal contents that it really needs. When enhancing the dancer-player's personal playing experience, and that's what this is all about, the easiest and the most natural way to improve it is by creating spells/skills like the shadow teleport or what ever do you want to call it or other features that don't necessarily affect to the actual effectivity of dancers, but actually gives the dancer-character much more personality and depth therefore improving the gaming experience."
Jesus, we are shadow-dancers. We hide in the shadows, and we backstab. We mutilate corpses and get devotion and can upgrade AND create our own personal descriptions for our guild weapon (something no other guild can do.) We have an uber orb of darkeness spell that far surpasses that of the mage's guild and we have the leet ass shadow barrier spell. We live in a town far away from everyone else and everytime someone kills us our town threatens their town. Also, if anyone sets foot in our town we have the right to kill them. We have our own Ereldon. We have our own arena. We have a training room where we can practice once every 24 hours.

How is this guild not unique? What the HELL are you talking about? You want more spells go join the mage's guild.

Sure, maybe this guild isn't perfect, and I doubt any guild IS perfect. But it's definitley unique. So don't go there. And what is all this crawling with the worms bullshit? I have YET to be forced to crawl in worms.

Some of the ideas mentioned are interesting though, namely the strangling weapon. But that shouldn't be a shadow-dancer thing, everyone should be able to use it/them. Whips would also be good.
zaec

plz

Post by zaec »

How is this guild not unique? What the HELL are you talking about? You want more spells go join the mage's guild. Sure, maybe this guild isn't perfect, and I doubt any guild IS perfect. But it's definitley unique. So don't go there

what the fu*k is that, of course no guild is perfect and what's the attitude againt progress and new features in general. "join the mages guild".. omg And just wait until youre not a level 19 but a level 70 dancer instead, maybe then things might seem a little different. "The gaming experience surely changes during online play!" You just listed all the great abilities to that small list that should keep us going and motivated. if we sound too unsatisfied for everything that's maybe because there is a reason. And again with the naive attitude. Of course shadows can't releport people really anywhere and I don't shoot bolts of lightning from my arse when i wake up next morning, but in the game everything can be presented in a different light. For example the teleport spell would ask the assistance from the shadow gods, so isn't at least that kind of thing possible for the gods. So lets cut the crap about that teleport spell because it's leading the discussion away from the more developing ideas.
dyzmal

Post by dyzmal »

I'm not trying to change the subject I'm just saying that it seems like a few of my fellow shadowdancers went a little overboard with the whole "ideas" thing. Sure, every guild could progress some, and I'm not telling you that you don't have a right to make suggestions, I'm just letting you know that whether you want to admit it or not, some of the things that were asked for are completely unneccessary, and that (as disappointed in the guild as you guys are) maybe you should reinc to something else you think is more interesting/has better skills?

I've been in many guilds in Icesus, just about all of them actually, and I've fought alongside highbies of many guilds, and I really don't think that there is a guild out there with more personality or uniqueness. Open notepad and list every guild in Icesus, and beneath them write down unique facts about each guild. What they can do, how their system works, etc. I think they do a damn good job on making just about all of the guilds play differently.

And some of the suggestions had to do with making us more party-friendly, but guess what? Shadowdancers are not a partying guild! They were made for solo-ing. That's what they are there for. They are the solo-ing guild. Want to party? Be an air priest, people need air priests all the time. Be a bard when they come out. I dunno, it just seems like a lot of this topic is "Boo Hoo I'm a Shadowdancer and I don't like it." BS that can be easily solved by joining ANOTHER GUILD.
khallandor

who is overreacting now..

Post by khallandor »

You went totally over the topic. I might be wrong but i didnt see anyone saying that this guild is not unique. Well, they all are. But i personally, and i think many others, agree with me that this guild needs to be tuned somehow. And with tune i mean maybe more skills, maybe more spells, maybe those teleport ideas or something. And that devotion thing, it is good way to compare members of the guild, who has been in the guild for most of the time, and see this, it is DEVOTION....
How well you are dedicated to the guild and all.

And Dyzmal, try soloing for year or two and see how well you get along. It will get boring eventually. Sure, i´ve seen shadowdancers in a party, but most of them didnt work out well, i´ve tested partying with other dancers too, and that can be devastating if used right. I dont want share any info about tactics used in that... One of my friends sayd that there used to be Graemor against Vaerlon events when the old earth priests were still open. I´m keenly waiting for that to happen again, or something similar like that.

I had something else in my mind but i forgot that already :/
Well, if nothing else, lessen the time gap between backstabs. Almost all the bigger mobs regen too fast for to be killed only with stabs. For example.......

Give me a comment. :shock:
dyzmal

Post by dyzmal »

"You went totally over the topic. I might be wrong but i didnt see anyone saying that this guild is not unique. Well, they all are."
I even quoted the line in an earlier reply where someone mentioned that the guild needed to have more skills to make it unique, and to give it personality.

"And Dyzmal, try soloing for year or two and see how well you get along. It will get boring eventually."
I never said solo-ing was uber fun but shadowdancers are the solo-ing guild. Every other guild in the game has certain aspects to it that make them valuable in parties, and shadowdancers make up for that by being good at solo-ing. Like I said a million times already, if you want to party, if you are bored with solo-ing, reinc and join another guild. That's like an air priest complaining that most of their spells deal with healing. That's what they do, they heal, and Shadowdancers go solo-ing.

"One of my friends sayd that there used to be Graemor against Vaerlon events when the old earth priests were still open. I´m keenly waiting for that to happen again, or something similar like that."
That sounds like a good idea, something everyone can enjoy and appreciate, but it would be a bit unbalanced seeing as right now we are the only Graemor guild. It would be like shadow-dancers Vs. the world. Might be fun though? Maybe they could make a guild event out of it, where we are fighting NPC's from Vaerlon instead of PC's.

"Almost all the bigger mobs regen too fast for to be killed only with stabs."
Well that just makes it more realistic, doesn't it? I mean we aren't mosquitos. It's not like they are like, "Crap that hurt, oh look he ran away, hope he doesn't come back." I know that if *I* was just stabbed in the back I'd be a bit suspiscious that maybe the assassin was going to come back to finish the job. I don't think that backstab was created to be our only attack, anyways. That's why we have shadow strike. If it's a really big mob and you are taking too much hits, get an air priest to help you out.

Someone said this earlier but maybe some of these suggestions would seem more reasonable if there were DOWNSIDES to them, and if they were related to problems that weren't easily solvable without changing anything. Examples of the latter would be the complaints about bigger mobs being solved by asking an air priest for help and the teleporting suggestion being solved by buying a mount, getting a few levels in the Chrono Guild, using the Graemor sage, and/or using the Outworld portals. The thing is Huck is already planning to uptune/downtune things, so he apparently feels that we are somehow unbalanced, but if we were so unbalanced that we needed the wizards to add a plethora of special shadow-dancer only power-enhancing uber skills and spells to the guild, I don't think that the guild would be open right now.

And spells/skills that aren't particularly useful were mentioned, like the shadow-teleport spell. I don't think anyone is going to waste time coding completely useless skills and spells but I guess if they added some non-combat spells/skills that weren't completely useless outside of combat to our guild it wouldn't hurt. Like the ideas about using shadow sense to look into nearby rooms, that is a GOOD idea, that is both useful and not un-balancing. I'm not trying to knock anyone, or their ideas. I'm just stating that IMO, the shadow teleport thing is completely useless and I think I proved that point without question(again, and for the last time, IMO there are MANY ways to easily get to and from Graemor, coding something like that would be a complete waste of time), and that IMO the guild does not need anything additional skills/spells to distinguish itself from the rest of the guilds as far as personality and uniqueness go, and that IMO the shadowdancers are a solo-ing guild and that if you don't solo-ing you should reinc and join another guild, just like if you were an air-priest and you didn't like healing.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

one thing that is really needed is we need to be able to keep the recipes that we learn between reincs, i had one poison when i left shadowdancers last time, and i don't remember the recipe, so it should be there when you come back. it is too time consuming to be otherwise.
dyzmal

Post by dyzmal »

Again, I disagree. In fact I don't even think we should keep our devotion points when we reinc. But that's just my opinion :x
khallandor

Post by khallandor »

well, easy for you to say. *Tsk...* You havent pplaeyd that long yet. :evil: And you cant have air_priests in the guild quests, mostly those were the things I meant. Consider all the sides and dont get stuck on every little thing.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Dyzmal, your devotion title is young. i think that says a lot about how much you know about the guild. In fact i dont remeber you being around when our guild got dayly whopped by templars, sorcerers and mages. I don't remeber you being along for the suicide-revenge missions either. When i was a 'young' i too thought the guild was uberpowerfull. Hell i even though the guild was really out of tune, cause i could kill really big stuff. Than i realised that killing a 25K monster with 6 stabbs wasn't all that good. Poisons didn't work. Portal sickness became too lame already. Virzuduz got greedy and Vaerlonians started attacking our guild. And we were not allowed to retalliate at least not in the unexpected-sneaky-assasin way. Play the guild for a while, than see if its still makes you feel as strongly about it.

I dont know how you read Zohlors post, but you understood it a hole lot differently than i did. Zohlor wasn't complaining about the guild not being unique enough. Zohlor was complaining that the guild did not offer any rewards for staying there longer than your boredom limit would allow. As a mage you first get the arrow spell, than as you advance enough you get the rain and the storm etc. See investng really a lot of time and more exp into the guild is rewarding you get new options at high levels. Shadowdancer stay the same from level 3 to level 33 and further.
khallandor

Post by khallandor »

I have to say that i completely agree on that *thumbs up*.
Althouhg i cannot say that i´ve been in the guild for long but anyways.. I just wanted to see if dancers had changed. I still see some old faces around, trying desperately level and all, no offense ^.^. But i like the idea of the guild. Something in it just fancies me. And i still think that dancers guild has the best group spirit than any other guild there is and i´ve seen.

I wish that some of the pvp killing rules could be modified a bit, backstabbing mobs gets really annoying after all.. But pvp would bring the "thing" to it. Making it more exciting and all.. Just my thought.
felgand

Post by felgand »

Actually, it was Zaec complaining that the shadowdancer guild was not unique enough for his tastes. Though, to set history right...your guild was not raided daily by templars, sorcerers and the such. Perhaps two or three actual attempts were made in a short amount of time, yes...and before that you were left in complete peace.

What I don't understand during that time was that folks cry about getting a Vaerlon vs. Graemor event...and then when they get one, they turn around and cry foul. You're welcome to attempt to raid Vaerlon just as folks are welcome to raid Graemor....it's not necessary to wait for admins to prod folks in the guild along so they actually do something.