Bards of Aegic

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

belannaer
Wizard

Bards of Aegic

Post by belannaer »

Talk about Clown guild inspired me to put up a topic for ideas to Bards Guild which I'm planning to code next. So please post all kinds of ideas for it. I won't promise any reward if your idea gets used but wouldn't it be great to see a feature that you have given put in to the game? And please be as describing and write as much as possible about your idea. I'll post some of my own ideas to here a bit later when I get to home. They'll give you some guide lines what the bards are going to look like.
ndarr

Post by ndarr »

referring to earlier discussions....

Bards have a lot of potential..

There should be atleast two(2) different sections of the guild.
One guild that is specialized into boostin players (for all you party fanatics) and the other one that is more aggressive sort.. (type of slash and sing, no not like the singing blades)

Stupidity is multiplied in a group, but what is the difference between a stupid idea and a innovative idea ?
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

I've been planning to do just as you said. A separate "caster" branch which is more focused on boosting and party related song spells and "melee" branch which is more offensive.
stalker
Wizard

Post by stalker »

belannaer wrote:I've been planning to do just as you said. A separate "caster" branch which is more focused on boosting and party related song spells and "melee" branch which is more offensive.
Hopefully there'll be a lot o' playing instruments by the campfire and singing (and learning) songs. If the notes and lyrics wouldn't be pre-defined but rather something that the player needs to learn (and be creative with) could be extra cool. 8)

I'd prefer bards not to be too much of a melee-fighter, but rather a flimsy but charismatic long-haired tree-hugger.
Stalker
ndarr

Post by ndarr »

Is it possible to set the main attribute as charisma? so that the higher the charisma of the character the more "powerful" songs etc...
maruxus
Wizard

Post by maruxus »

That's definatly possible, and probably how it's going to be. Probably based on a perform skill which is based on charisma. Might even think about making charisma a requirement for joining, kinda like int/wis for the chronomancers.
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

The basic idea of mine was that skill/spell percents affect the success of a song, which then affects the effect power of the song. In other words good success means more powerful spell. Dexterity also affects the success. After calculating power from success charisma gives directly more power to the songs making it the most important stat in the guild. Of course dex is also very important.

The guild cannot have cha/dex requirements, at least not the main sub. The guild is a main guild, not an open subguild.
stalker wrote:Hopefully there'll be a lot o' playing instruments by the campfire and singing (and learning) songs. If the notes and lyrics wouldn't be pre-defined but rather something that the player needs to learn (and be creative with) could be extra cool. 8)
There will be :wink: Pre-defined lyrics work a lot better and prevent poor lyrics. You can imagine the lyrics of several players. Although I plan to do some story telling skills that give players the opportunity to compose their own songs and stories that can be told to other players and sung at the inns and bars. This does actually have effect on other things of the guild, like bardic reputation which represents how well known you are as a singer and storyteller. Bardic reputation also shows as a possibility for titles like "Belannaer, legendary songmaster".
stalker wrote:I'd prefer bards not to be too much of a melee-fighter, but rather a flimsy but charismatic long-haired tree-hugger.
They aren't too much melee-fighters as they are only ment to stand in the front row, sing song spells and swing around a bit with blades. The main focus is still in the singing and other performance.
Last edited by belannaer on Tue Mar 30, 2004 13:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
argu

Post by argu »

Hmm...

How about this:

1.When joining in bard's guild you get a book
2.When going kill something *really* big bard could start typing in that book something about the battle...
3.Tale books sold at shop !!!

Something like that ... propably hard to code ...
<--- I have no clue what does chitines look like but propably like that 8]
maruxus
Wizard

Post by maruxus »

Oooh...since it's a song, it's should have to be concentrated on. I.E. sing song, the effects last as long as you're singing plus some amount of time after based on skill.
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

Song spell system I have partially made allows now to make songs to affect while you sing and/or at the end of the song. So a healing song could heal all the time you sing and have no effect when the song ends and an offensive spell could make the damage at the end of the song. Although I don't plan direct "sing a song and deliver damage to mob"-songs. Some of the will make damage but it's made by a bit indirect approach. For example I have planned this song spell "Tale of dancing blades" which takes several blades from bard's inventory and makes them dance in the air and damage his opponents occasionally.
etadan

Post by etadan »

belannaer wrote:They aren't too much melee-fighters as they are only ment to stand in the front row, sing song spells and swing around a bit with blades. The main focus is still in the singing and other performance.
Uhm, back row maybe ? i don't know about the rest but i would interrupt my singing on every hit.
Beyond good..
argu

Post by argu »

Heh !

Good point Etadan ;D
<--- I have no clue what does chitines look like but propably like that 8]
maruxus
Wizard

Post by maruxus »

Good point etadan...maybe back row at lower levels but then up front at higher levels, with a concentration type skill.
ndarr

Post by ndarr »

etadan wrote:Uhm, back row maybe ? i don't know about the rest but i would interrupt my singing on every hit.
And wouldn't you say that a mage can't cast if being punched?? So front row is ok!
maruxus
Wizard

Post by maruxus »

Actually I've always thought mages should have concentration too.