Bards of Aegic

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

iskey
Supporting Member 2010

Post by iskey »

labinac wrote:and ones that are the more acrobatic dextrous sneaky type (altho that might be WAY too closely related with shadowdancers.. so often as the rogue guilds are in MUDs tho... normally wherever theres bards theyre closely related to the thieves/assassins)
What's wrong in having another guild that is similiar to shadowdancers :?:
Guilds are only variations on how you can kill monsters. If we take shadowdancers, remove daggers, add songs, we would have totaly different guild that will look like rogues but will have totally different feeling.
Omoshiroi
maruxus
Wizard

Post by maruxus »

First off...bad idea, we want something completely different, not something that just seems a little different. Secondly, these bards are going to be more of the respectable storyteller types than the bums who sing a song for some money and then rob you blind type bards.
iskey
Supporting Member 2010

Post by iskey »

I didn't ment it like that. Ofcourse it should be different, but similiarities in fighting styles shouldn't be THE problem. As they will have charisma and dexterity as main stats it's only natural that bard will be more or less like rogues in D&D and other similiar rpgs. Bards (or maybe another guild coded later?) could be like another side of the coin when compared to the shadowdancers.
Shadowdancers represeny dark and they have secretive society who are dealing with death and money.
Bards on the other hand represent light and have open society that are dealing with life and storytelling.
As both guilds can be considered as "rogues", there can still be much difference betwean these two.
Omoshiroi
maruxus
Wizard

Post by maruxus »

Well, since bards exist in D&D if you want to relate it to that then they are very dissimilar, they share..2 skills i think. Some people will of course RP them as rogues, and that's fine, but I think for the most part they should just be completely seperate.
labinac

Post by labinac »

well i suppose it would depend on how the bard gets its money?
show business HAS been known to drive ppl to materialism :P

plus if the bard cant make ends meet (if hes a melee type bard he might not have as good as "song & dance" skills)...

i could see bards as rogues... the last MUD i played (other than icesus...) bards and thieves were very closely related.. the difference being in the song and dance stuff... shrug i dunno.

and as for checking out FFX-2 you dont really need to do that to get an idea for what it offers as far as "songstress" bard type abilities... i would just go search the web for all those game FAQs and walkthroughs that explain "every ability and what it does" and you could read the sections on the songstress dressphere and what the abilities do to get an idea... rather than playing the game lol...

thats it for now.

lab
---------------------------------------
"The good are innocent and create justice. The bad are guilty, wich is why they invent mercy."
lemi

hrm

Post by lemi »

strongly against the bard/thief idea. sure bards and thieves both rely heavily on dexterity. thieves because it takes quick fingers to steal and bards because it takes quick fingers to play an instrument. but be that as it may, thieves and bards "ain't the same ballpark, ain't the same league, ain't even the same f*ckin' sport." if anyone's going to pickpocket it should be the shadowdancers, or even better: a thieves guild.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
thernys
Supporting Member 2006

Post by thernys »

Furthermore, as comes to 'checking out FFX-2', hopefully the wizards will stick to 'icesus is icesus' and not be influenced too much by these other games, however they may portray the classes/guilds about to be introduced to Icesus. After all, you play Icesus because you like _Icesus_, not because you liked FFX-2. Creativity is always a plus.
lemi

wow

Post by lemi »

i agree with theryns, to hell with ffx-2.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

Checking other games and other sources give nice ideas. No-one is going to directly rip off any other games. And about bard/thief thingy. Bards won't have any kind of such skills. If such skills are ever to be introduced they will be in a THIEF guild, not a bard.

ps. I have plans for thief guild also :twisted:
lemi

bwahahah

Post by lemi »

three cheers for thieve's guild.
tanstai

Post by tanstai »

most RL bards i know perform better after a couple of drinks, maybe this could be used somehow to help (or hinder if you drink too much) the concentration skill mentioned earlier
Yeah, and some people claim to play pool better after a few drinks...I often go home with their money. I'm against needing alchohol to improve a skill, don't drink it RL, not interested in being drunk in RP either.

I think Bards need some brawling skills...they are known to end up in, or inspire barrrom brawls occaissionaly. ;)

Tanstai
wield Life
You don't have a Life.
labinac

Post by labinac »

i was hesitatant about mentioning FF on this topic because of just that. i like icesus for icesus.. and i didnt want to sound like i think we should rip off any ideas... but i still think it was a somewhat nice resource for ideas as what could be possible for bards and how their skills work :) but alas i think we had those ideas anyways :P lol

---------------------------

as for the rogueness of bards.. i AM curious how the "other" class for bards is going to be.. weve talked about songs and dances and a few skills that COULD cross over into melee performance.. but i havent really heard a whole lot on the ideas and plans for the "other" class lol....altho someone did mention that the bladesingers got tired of hugging trees and wanted to sing songs and kick butt... :P

i think itd be cool if bards knew how to make objects... relatively anyways.. like the ability to take a random peice of trash and shape/sharpen it as a throwing object or maybe even a projectile of sorts....(Sort of like making arrows for rangers i guess) naturally bards should be able to make needed "props" anyways from limited resources :P

just an idea tho :)

lab
---------------------------------------
"The good are innocent and create justice. The bad are guilty, wich is why they invent mercy."
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

argu wrote:Hmm...

How about this:

1.When joining in bard's guild you get a book
2.When going kill something *really* big bard could start typing in that book something about the battle...
3.Tale books sold at shop !!!

Something like that ... propably hard to code ...
Missed this before but it sounds fun, gotta give it a shot :)
Maybe just give a possibility to bards to write down their own story books. Of course this can be abused in many ways as idiocity of several people is endless.
maruxus
Wizard

Post by maruxus »

Actually, I think the book idea is great..if anybody decides to write some stupid stuff and try to sell it they'll lose all they're respect as a bard because nobody will bother with anything they write again. Not really abusable because word will get around that they suck.
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

Yeah, and we have means of purging that player from the game >;)