Earth Priests

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

malag
Supporting Member 2005

different -why?

Post by malag »

I did not the test the "old" earth priest, but I heard about them they sounded nice and I would have tested it at some point. The idea of the guild was inspiring. Now my guestion must be why, why does the new earth priest guild have to be different why not use the great idea but just correct the problems that the guild had?
Maybe some1 could enlighten me with this one...plz
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

The idea itself is just a big problem :)
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Why the idea needs changing? Well as i mentioned before the old earth priests were necromancers, NOT priests!
thoran
Wizard

Re: different -why?

Post by thoran »

malag wrote:Maybe some1 could enlighten me with this one...plz
The idea Player can create undead minions that can then party with the player and help him kill mobiles is the problem. Because of this, one person was able to kill as many monsters as a party would otherwise have, resulting to lack of monsters for other players to kill. Also, this resulted to a situation where the amount of exp and money received by the player was not in tune with other guilds in the game. Because fixing these problems would require a complete recode of the priests - starting from creating a new idea - the guild was closed.

So, if you can think of a way, how we can save the old way of doing it and still get rid of those two problems, please share it with us. I at least cannot think of any.
dracolipse

Post by dracolipse »

How about a slow evolution into an earth elemental or golem? As you gain power, you can turn yourself more and more stonelike. You can transform similar to shapeshifters, but to balance the awesome power of being a stone being, you could be forced to have an upkeep in sp's like sorcerer spells. Instead of summoning the Golem, you become the Golem... but only for short bursts of time. Maybe, when you do this, you become an awesome melee fighter, but you lose access to all your spells. So as a non-golem, you'd have the normal earthquake, shattered stone arrows, and other earth based spells and as a golem you could go melee.
"If you love somebody, let them go. For if they return, they were always yours and if they dont, they never were. - Kahlil Gibran"
tanstai

Post by tanstai »

Hmmm...well, you can always tune the amount of undead they have...which does weaken the 'party' aspect. What if the priest is also more in tune with his minions...when they take damage, he takes some of the damage...so if you have 3 front line minions, you're taking say...25% of the damage from each one, each time they get hit...likewise, the casting minions would drain your sp...this could limit how fast your "party" can head through areas...and makes the priest have to be far more carefull, he COULD die, w/o his minions dying, if he's taken enough damage.

I think besides just concentration skill, the priest should need at least SOME sp to maintain domination over his minions, and if he gets to low, he looses control. If the minions turn on the priest, running away should be difficult, they have a link to their caster...

Tanstai
wield Life
You don't have a Life.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

tanstai wrote: I think besides just concentration skill, the priest should need at least SOME sp to maintain domination over his minions, and if he gets to low, he looses control. Tanstai
I forgot to mention it earlier, but that was the case. every minions (not the mummy), would have a sp upkeep. If the priest went low on sp, thus minion got no upkeep, the minion would aggro. And if you fled the minion would live, and cound as one of yours- so you could not summon a new full set of minions until that one was killed. So if you were only able to summon one max-power minion and one lower level minion, and the max-power minion would turn on you, you would be left with only one low-power minion until the bi one was killed.

About the sp drain for casting minions, well that sounds nice, but it would mean the priest would have to be really careful to not let the minions cast tooo much or he would run out of sp, and thus have a room full of aggro mobs. the taking part of minions damage is not too good- priests were more casters, than tanks (obviously) so they would only have really little hp. Thats why they needed tanks. So this daking damage would limit the fighting to a really minimum.
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

Been there, done that and tried and failed. Sp upkeeps do not work.
malag
Supporting Member 2005

now i see

Post by malag »

Thank thoran for the enlightment - no I can finally see and understand the problem with the old earthpriests.
I must say that i hvaen't got a good idea to save the old earthpriest - or in the greation of a new guild, but I will post something if i get a vision :D
grainer
Supporting Member 2015

Post by grainer »

I got somekind of an idea, not sure if it's any good, but I'll put it here to be judged. Earth priests could be a kind of semi-casters. They could cast offensive spells and in addition cast chasms in between mobs and himself or his party, thus allowing him to cast spells at mobs without getting hit for a while (or in a party so that tanks won't get hit) or move the ground where mobs stand away from himself or cast a river of lava in between, etc.

edit: I really should check my typing better before posting :/
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

Those things sound like they would have to be limited into outworld only use. And that chasm just screams of abuse possibilities :)

But here's a new idea to chew. Make earth priests into druids, not necromancers.
tanstai

Post by tanstai »

But here's a new idea to chew. Make earth priests into druids, not necromancers.
Sounds like a good idea. :)
Thats why they needed tanks. So this daking damage would limit the fighting to a really minimum.
That was kindof the point...slow 'em down...HAVE to rest, not just bash bash with your big undead guys.

Tanstai
wield Life
You don't have a Life.
thoran
Wizard

Post by thoran »

well my idea was to make the minions so that they don't tick and they cannot be healed. So, when your tank dies, you have to make another. Or have one waiting in a next room.
grainer
Supporting Member 2015

Post by grainer »

That is probably _the_ best way to go if epriests would continue to be necromancers.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Turn e_priests into druids?!

Post by solar »

I think that our beloved e_priests should stay necromancers, since druids are IMHO "like" templars. I don't mean that they are militant group of warrior-priests that run about clad in suits of steel, but that they serve all of the elements and should gain spells from each one, not just from earth :)
(BTW. I have some ideas for the druids if someone is interested ( = desperate enough to listen))

As for the e_priests, the undead minion system is a good idea(tm), except for its flaws - namely the shortage of monsters for other players and easy way of making money.

Sadly I don't have any suggestions on how to fix the mentioned flaws of e_priest guild, but my personal opinion is that e_priests should be necromancers.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.