Earth Priests

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

thoran
Wizard

Earth Priests

Post by thoran »

Some time ago I already asked for ideas about the new earth priests. I got some mails, thank you.

Anyway, if any of you have any ideas about these, please write them down here and be as descriptive as you can.

Main idea about the guild is this:

- It is divided in two parts, casters and engineers
- casters are offensive/defensive/other casters, much like the priests of today. Also able to summon some minions, including but not limited to Undeads, spirits and demons.
- engineers are able to construct and sell minions, including but not limited at Golems, undeads, spirits.
- casters is ment to be a guild for exping and engineers is tinkering, for making money by doing business and maybe taking part in parties repairing minions during regens and so.

I would be extremely happy to receive emails ( mailto:thoran@icesus.org ) that fully describe some part of the guild, like "this is a list of summonable demons" with names, descriptions, powers/weaknesses etc.
This kind of mails will definitely be rewarded with PDF if the idea is used.

edit: Until the main server is again up, send mail to thoran@mail.suomi.net
Last edited by thoran on Mon Jun 14, 2004 16:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stalker
Wizard

Post by stalker »

Hopefully the term 'engineers' can be switched to something more medieval-fantasy-like term, as at least I tend to think of engineers being these modern technology -type architects of contraptions.

... but this is just a minor sidecomment. :wink:
Stalker
grainer
Supporting Member 2015

Post by grainer »

Heh, as I read thoran's post I just _had_ to start writing descs to undeads since my imagination started to run wild :) Hope my writings will be good enough to be accepted to final guild.
tanstai

Post by tanstai »

Engineers is NOT a new term...and I could look (note COULD), but I'm sure it dates WAY back.

I'd love to see them be able to mold the earth...use them for help in excavating mines, stone to mud...

Tanstai
lemi

Post by lemi »

that all sounds good, imo, but what we should be thinking about are aspects of the guild that would make it *less* enticing. for instance, you should probably make it (if you weren't going to already) so that you can only join one of the guild's subguilds -- like you can be an engineer or a caster, not even a little bit of both. and maybe make them melt with contact with water or something. -g-
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
stalker
Wizard

Post by stalker »

tanstai wrote:Engineers is NOT a new term...and I could look (note COULD), but I'm sure it dates WAY back.

I'd love to see them be able to mold the earth...use them for help in excavating mines, stone to mud...

Tanstai
Nods, you seem to be correct on it being an old term:

[Middle English enginour, from Old French engigneor, from Medieval Latin ingenitor, contriver, from ingenire, to contrive, from Latin ingenium, ability. See engine.]

It's just that today it is associated intensively to modern technology rather than medieval times, thus making it, at least in my mind, stand out in a disturbing manner. :?
Stalker
tanstai

Post by tanstai »

It's just that today it is associated intensively to modern technology rather than medieval times
Well, in medieval times it was probably associated with 'cutting edge' technology. Making winches, designing pulley systems to help lift massive granite blocks for making the newest castles, mosques, mausoleum, pyramid, etc. assisting or being the architect as well.

Nice of you to look it up. :D

Tanstai
dracolipse

Re: Earth Priests

Post by dracolipse »

thoran wrote:- engineers are able to construct and sell minions, including but not limited at Golems, undeads, spirits.
You could call them Cabalist's. Cabalist are/were Jewish priests versed in magic. A part of their highest duties was to create "The Golem", which was to protect them in times of need/war.
maruxus
Wizard

Post by maruxus »

That's a good name Dracolipse.

Post by Guest »

i had an idea about the earth priests, have them possibly capable of bringing some of the creatures from the nether world to the game world.
dracolipse

Post by dracolipse »

thera wrote:i had an idea about the earth priests, have them possibly capable of bringing some of the creatures from the nether world to the game world.
That's what they were before... we could summon ghosts, ghouls, liches, mummies and such. However, it was too powerful, and got closed.
"If you love somebody, let them go. For if they return, they were always yours and if they dont, they never were. - Kahlil Gibran"
malag
Supporting Member 2005

I must say...

Post by malag »

I have a certain vision of earth priests - and it more like necromancers. BUt I would actually want to know what thorans vision is?
As a "necromancer" I think that it would be a cool idea to be able to craft yourself golems and some undead construction and also to be able to command,control and make undeads.

Your goal to start as a "human" and to advance slowly to become a lich, an undead, the one thing you dedicated your life to, to be above the others, to be immortal !
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Re: I must say...

Post by artic »

malag wrote:I have a certain vision of earth priests - and it more like necromancers. !
Eh, just to clear it up to players that don't remember the _old_ earth priests: They _were_ necromancers. They would kill a monster, mummify its body so it would not decompose. And then they could channel some nether energy into that body and transmute it to a undead minion, or a mummy. They could control one mummy, and a number of minions dependant on their level/skill/masteries. Minions varied from walking dead, skeletons, zombies to some of the gretest undeads in the game. Thus the earth priest were very powerful, and that power was their downfall.

So if you come up with new ideas for the guild, make em different :)
thoran
Wizard

Re: I must say...

Post by thoran »

malag wrote:Your goal to start as a "human" and to advance slowly to become a lich, an undead, the one thing you dedicated your life to, to be above the others, to be immortal !
For more information about becoming immortal, see my post "HOWTO become a wizard" :wink:
malag
Supporting Member 2005

*smirk*

Post by malag »

Nääh wizardin would be boring for me - I prefer playing - and I allready am immortal...