Tattoos

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

xerene
Supporting Member 2009

Tattoos

Post by xerene »

How about tattoos that give certain abilities or piercings with glowie jewlery?
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Seems like a nice idea, to be able to add more earring slots, doesn't it? Until you start thinking wheres the limit? 4,5... hmm if we include nipples, thung, eyebrows etc. one could have about 45 glowie earrings. Thats quite a boost. So whats the tradeoff, whats the negative side of it? Piercing wounds get infected often? Or maybe higher sensitivity in pierced area?

Same goes for tattoos- i think its a good idea to have a shaman do you 'last-until-boot' battle paintings or magical ritual brandings that last for a lifetime. But there should be a tradeoff other than them just costing a lot of money.

What i can picture is someone giving you an extra earring slot or ritual tatto as a quest reward.
But if you want them to be purchaseable in a 'shop' you must come up with a limit and a tradeoff (a balancer).

Don't be discouraged- its a good start for a good idea, needs just a bit more thought put into it.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Actually a free subguild is quite a good tradeoff. Give away a level-worth of exp to gain some more slots or some magical tatoos. And the more levels you 'give away' the more tatoos/piercings you can get.

Giving away a level seems like a small price to pay, at the early levels, i know, but once you become a bit higher in level and levelcosts go up, you'll realise that you really miss that one level you gave away to some other quild.
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

Perhaps the ability to be pierced or tattooed could come with a level that gives no stats. As far as game balance goes it would be like a level with customizable stat boosts because rather than a fixed +1 to +3 of some stat it would let you get another earring on with whatever stats you can find. For tattoos you could get a tattoo slot and some procedure for filling it with a temporary or permanent tattoo to give you a similar boost.

This doesn't seem like enough to build a guild on. It feels more like a part of a guild, but what...
felgand

Post by felgand »

If tattoos are ever added, I don't think they should come with stats. There are plenty of slots for regular clothing/equipment that will grant you those boosts and including another would be mundane and boring. However, it might be interesting if some of the more specialized tattoos gave more intangible effects like luck, some small combat trick (with nice echo)...and perhaps an interesting negative effect for the more powerful ones.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

If tatoos or piercings should ever be added, they should be free for all, not part of only one guild.

To felgand- tatoos shoudl give bonuses, if not, you could just use the desc command to add them. Bonuses must not mean '1 stat' always, they might be far more creative. exmp: 'The ritual tattoo of undead bane- featuring a crushed skull' - adding a holy aura that damages all undeads, and drains some SP. be creative!
However, i fail to see why one would get a tattoo that is bad for oneself, but thats just probably because im not high level enough to understand it.
arkady
Supporting Member 2007

desc stuff

Post by arkady »

I think that tatto could give a +cha bonus or a +something and a small -cha effect I think that a +1 str shouldn't give a -1cha though but +3str should give -2 cha.

also few slots like 6 or seven max with only two for beholders and four or five slots for centaurs.. also what about the insect races, could they get them at all.

but honestly I think they are pretty powerful and so should be really expensive, i don't think they should need to be recharged by the channeler. I like the idea of the tatto magi being a sub guild maybe a open part of the bard guild complex.

and they should add maximum lines to your desc.

8)
drakken

Post by drakken »

I like the diversity of this idea. In that, it would be the first time a player could use coins to gain stats other that buying equipment I think. I'm not sure what a reasonable way of governing this would be, but I suppose as long as their are limits, anythings possible.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

the insect races could get patterns engraved into their chitin and maybe even put gems in, permanantly. i saw this in a book once.
argu

Post by argu »

yea bards guilds it should be...

all races could have fixed area of skin where could be tattoos put on and they should be unremovable... (removed in reinc)

And there should also be skill which counts how much area need to be used for tattoo... (high skill small tattoo with same attributes than low skill area....)
<--- I have no clue what does chitines look like but propably like that 8]
licune

tattoos

Post by licune »

there are a few ways tattoos could be used and not be over balancing.
1. They could take the place of armour (fill armour slots)
2. They could cost df or pdf
3. Have them be temporary: which means they have a chance of wearing off, after each use. (cheapest)
4. they could have an upkeep of sp's
5. they could be purely roll playing aides with no other affects.