More races?

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

artic
Supporting Member 2005

More races?

Post by artic »

Ok, heres another pot of 'abuse' i have cooked up in mu head. Help yourself!

2 new playable races: the avians and the gargoyles. With the avians being the flying race of the good side and gargoyles their equals on the dark side.
Avians have 'bird bones'- bones that are hollow in the inside, making their body very lightweight and allowing them to fly. Such bones however have a downside aswell- a slight weaknes to physical damage- blundgeoning damage in special. Avians are basically just humans with bird-wings. (i can't check right now, but maybe they have other bird features as well) They have all the basic slots as humans, plus 2 wing-barding slots. They have high dextirity, not so good strenght and medium abilities for magic. In combat they would get a special defence (such as the shadowperson blink-out) where they dodge an incoming attack by taking flight for a moment.
Gargoyles are originally born of magic, created as guardians for evil magic users. Because they were created as sentries they have good vision in light and even better in dark. Their body has the shape of humanoids, with bat-wings and monsturous facial features. They would be slightly bigger than the avians. They have a bit greater str than avians, lower dex and also mediocer magic abilities. They don't have wing-barding slot, but they get a slight natural resistance to physical damage, because their skin has slight features of stone. Also they can not sleep (possibly even immune to beholders sleep ray). If they need to rest, they take on stone form, becoming a motionless statue, with only their eyes still working (this is how they attend guard dutie). In combat they would also get a special defence of changeing the bodypart that is just about to get hit into stone, however by doing so they would slow themself down- sacrifice a perfectly good attck for defence.

Both these races would be able to fly: have two race command 'fly' and 'land'. Now they can only fly in the outworld. Flying itself does not take much ep (gargoyles need more than avians tho) but still, they cant stay up there for ever- ep will slowly drain. Also if they move with flying, it will cost only little more, depending on terrain- its simple to glide over plains, but its guilte difficult to dodge between montaintips (and yes, while flying they can cross mountains that are normally impassible). Once their ep runs out, they will automatically land, they can also land with the 'land' command.
While in the air they could not attack creatures on the land (if they do, they will land and it will become a normal fight), and creatures on the land could not attack them, however they would not be safe from flying creatures such as manticores. while fighting a flying creature, the fact that they both are in the air is completely ignored- its like normal combat (to be close anought to hit each other).
In order to fly no heavy or medium armour should be worn, neither should the weight of their inventory be greater than 2/3 of the maximum. Soaring through the air should generally be a lot cheaper (in ep) than walking, yet it should still cost some ep, so they couldnt stay up there forever.

P.S- ther will be no mounting a mammoth and draging that after yourself when flying.
torvus

Wings

Post by torvus »

If a wing gets hit it should also have to regen a certain amount of time, Who can fly with a shredded wing?
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

allanon wrote: 1. Should be more like the damage mod to physical that spell weavers get - ie. a stronger than just "slight" one. Have you ever smacked a bird irl? They're fragile things...
Oh, dear. When i wrote 'slight' i didn't really mean 'slight' as in icesus adjective, more like english. Eg: they should have some level of weakness, the tune is up to the wizards.

2. No flying over impassable terrain. Even the flying manticores can't do that.
allanon wrote: 3. If ep runs out in flight, they should "crash", not land gracefully like usual. This would cost them some hp, maybe stun depending on terrain...
Good one! I say, makes sense!
You feel comfortable as the fire warms your feet.
With the nature around you and plah plah, everything feels just right... Oh, wait!
GRAUHH!
Allanon grashes down to the ground and looks really hurt.!

Nice! :P
allanon wrote: 4. For avians, since I'm thinking the wings have feathers or such, give wingslots -fire resistance. For gargoyles, slight overall +fire resistance from stone skin. Maybe also some +cold resistance too. And also +lightning resistance. Oh, hell, stone skin seems to need some serious downgrading. :wink:
5. Maybe Gargoyle takes big damage from a strong bludgeon because their stone skin "cracks"...
Yes, it seems i have had my evil side tune gargoyle to be more powerful than avian. Maybe the gargoyles shouln't get stoneskin at all, just the special defence. It seems also logical that avian wings have fire weakness, but remember they also get to cover part of wing with wing-bardings.

Also good idea about gargoyles not ever being able to swin.
Avian wings should not get wet. Birds tend to their wethers
making them water-resistand. Hmm maybe have special racial commands for tending to ones wings?

Also, Torvus, it is very logical that you can't fly with hurt wings. So HP must be certain level of high to fly and no woulnds may be on wings.

Theres no areal combat coded yet, as far as i know. And if land creatures fight manticores, it seems manticores don't get any advantages from being able to fly. So going with no areal combat, makes it a lot easyer on the wizards.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Just my opinion

Post by solar »

Note: This is just my opinion concerning these suggestions:

I don't think that Icesus is ready for players that can fly. Or at least flying that is 'realistic' (with ascending and descending and larger ow 'minimap'). As far as I know, even the mounts that can fly are kinda 'not coming any time soon'.

There are better choices for our beloved coders to do.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

i think that the gargoyles should get extra damage from acid, since it can get into any crack in their bodies and disintigrate them from the inside out, especially if they are made of granite. that reminds me, if you choose gargoyle, you should be able to choose from about 3 different types of stone that your ancestors creator used to make them from, each getting specific advantages and disadvantages.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

obsidian would have a major unarmed fighting bonus, considering how sharp it is. and i don't think that there should be that many choices, and certainly not different choices for newbies as highbies, unless you can change your material like the gaesati can change their aspects.
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

Maybe underpant gnomes made out of silk lingerie would fit in icesus better than these...
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

yoz wrote:Maybe underpant gnomes made out of silk lingerie would fit in icesus better than these...
I agree! Don't get caried away, people!
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Post by solar »

artic wrote:I agree! Don't get caried away, people!
... But you started this ... :D
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.