Titles

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

drakken

Titles

Post by drakken »

Might be fun to be able to set your title to one of your reputations that you currently have.
For example:

An illustrious hero of Vaerlon

or

To be executed once captured in Atherton.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

This would be way cool! hmm... wait! I take that back! 'Artic, derro spat on in Vaerlon', don't sound so cool.

No, no, im just kidding. Its a great idea. maybe than the templar will finally notice what great evil i am.
felgand

Post by felgand »

This sounds like a viable idea...though it'd be nice if these titles were only active for folks that have reached the top or lowest 3-5 adjectives in that given city or town. I mean, no one is going to recognize someone known as "unimportant" and as such they shouldn't be able to display a title like that either.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

felgand wrote:This sounds like a viable idea...though it'd be nice if these titles were only active for folks that have reached the top or lowest 3-5 adjectives in that given city or town. I mean, no one is going to recognize someone known as "unimportant" and as such they shouldn't be able to display a title like that either.
No! but i agree that the number should be limited. Just limiting this nice feat to extremes is silly. It would take me, or any other lower level player a LOT of time to get to the 3-5 max. however it also seems stupid to have a title 'artic, neither liked nor disliked...'. So if rep is 0, you cant pich that title (it wont even show up on 'title list'). And maybe get a new title after every 3 or maybe 5 title changes. So you can have -3 rep title until you reach -6 or go back to 0, etc.

So the possible titles wouldbe:
wanted dead as one of the most despised people ever (-16),
to be executed once captured,
a cause for panic and fear,
well-known for your horrible deeds,
very infamous (-10),
hated,
ill-famed for your deeds,
known by many
well-known and respected
prestigious (+10),
an illustrious hero,
idolized and lionized,
a renowned champion of legends (+16)

Note: This is an illustratory list. So in general a lot less titles, leaving out too small changes and reputations that are too small to matter. However, if you only leave the top 3 titles, it seems like a very nice feat, ment just for highbies.
I know, with effort, the low level player could also reach those high rep levels, but only a highby could live with top 3 -rep and only a templar would care about 3 top +rep levels.
So i think starting with 'known by many' seems fair.
felgand

Post by felgand »

Erm, if you're persistant enough...you can get to known by many in at least two towns within a day's worth of playing time at least...it's really not worth allowing titles of small changes like that.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

felgand wrote:Erm, if you're persistant enough...you can get to known by many in at least two towns within a day's worth of playing time at least...it's really not worth allowing titles of small changes like that.
Erm, did you know, that the bigger the creature the more killing it will affect your rep? Al least this as it seems to me. If i kill 1K goblins, i can kill about 25 of em, before my rep is visibly affected. however, if i take down goblin leader and some halfling thiefs (both areound 10K), my rep will change a lot faster. Can a level 15 player kill 10+K monsters?

But, anyway, in general we all agree this is a good idea. How to tune it and how to implement it will ultimatelly be the wizards decision.
felgand

Post by felgand »

Not everyone is required to solo and it's generally easy enough to get a group if you're persistant enough and show that you're a reasonable player. I remember being able to hit very popular (for guild requirements) in Vaerlon during a couple of days of playing time by teaming up with Rumak and Galan very early in my career on Icesus. And no, Artic, the reputation gain you receive is not directly proportional to the exp size of the creature.

In general, however...I feel that titles should be something that require a bit of effort to accomplish so that they are worth more when the player obtains it. It's rather pointless to gain titles if there was no noticeable effort put into it in the first place. This makes sense in terms of roleplay as well...you don't really get universal recognition until you're very well known.