Surnames for players

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

Should players be able to take surnames to their characters?

Yes, right when the character is created.
13%
Yes, after they reach a certain level in the game.
71%
No, I don't want a surname for my character.
16%

Total votes: 55

zaec

Surnames for players

Post by zaec »

As long as I have played Icesus I have had this nagging disturbance about the character names. The name policy is great and due to it we have actual fantasy typish names instead of ripoff names or other stupidities. However when the character has only a first name it has always felt as the character's identity is missing something. Everybody all around the world and almost in every fantasy worlds etc. has always had a surname of somekind. Surname gives much more depth into the character's visible personality. Of course the name policy must be applied to this also.

Not only the surnames give more depth to the personality of the character, but creating a feature that allows players to get same surnames would create a very nice feature for players who are good friends or otherwise would like to create an unified group of adventurers and wish to show others that they belong into this 'family' also. Some may call them as 'clans'.

I have no idea why surnames have not been added to Icesus, I can see no harm in them, of course taking a surname would be fully optional.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

If surnames are added, it would be nice if they had different rules about them. It seems quite pointles to have a last name that must not mean anything. Of course profinities and rip-offs should still be not allowed, but i think ' Artic Bloodcrow' sounds a lot better than 'Artic Dun'Azir', Althoug the last might be a better fanatsy name.
moraq

Post by moraq »

If surnames would be picked in character creation, we also need marriage implemented!

And ofcourse huge combat bonus when fighting with your companion! :)

~Mora
zaec

Post by zaec »

yes, that's what i mean. Sir Artic as a templar does sound incomplete when the Sir pretitle refers to the royal blood or knighthood of the player, Sir Artic Bloodcrow sounds MUCH more better in my opinion for example.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

if you can add them from the player creation, it should be normal surnames, if you get it after you get a specific amount of exp, then it should be something like, khade the stout or something like that, maybe allanon dragonslayer. depending on what you have done in the game recently. if it is like that then other players should be able to help work it out, because those sort of surnames are usually not chosen by the person who gets it, for example Erik the Red, called that for his hair color and for his temper.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

allanon wrote: There's actually even greater possibility for ripoff by adding surnames. But, what the heck, if you have a decent enough ripoff nobody notices (I'm a ripoff :wink: ).
Yes, Allanon was a druid in the Terry Brooks fantasy world. But is not a bad ripoff- like playing the game as Aragorn, Gandalf, Shrek or B'gates'ill.

'Dragonslayer' however, is not a surname, it a title. And i think it migh already exist in game, along with 'wolfslayer'.
moraq

Post by moraq »

Dragonslayer title is in the game, yep, wolfslayer too.