Skiing

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

tenki
Supporting Member 2018

Skiing

Post by tenki »

I just had this idea.. how about if we could buy and/or make ourselves a pair of skis and use them to travel a bit faster in snowy parts of the valley? And maybe a skill to match that.

-- T
stalker
Wizard

Re: Skiing

Post by stalker »

tenki wrote:I just had this idea.. how about if we could buy and/or make ourselves a pair of skis and use them to travel a bit faster in snowy parts of the valley? And maybe a skill to match that.

-- T
Hmm sounds like a nice idea, I guess skiing was a very standard way of travelling during the winter in medieval times :?:
Stalker
vivian
Site Admin

Re: Skiing

Post by vivian »

stalker wrote:
tenki wrote:I just had this idea.. how about if we could buy and/or make ourselves a pair of skis and use them to travel a bit faster in snowy parts of the valley? And maybe a skill to match that.

-- T
Hmm sounds like a nice idea, I guess skiing was a very standard way of travelling during the winter in medieval times :?:
Yes, skiing is fine skill invented already at stone age times. In medieval times another ski was short and another long. And if I remember right they used only one ski pole. Or not even that necessarily. A bow or a spear was another possibility.

And sleigh too is really old invention.

Vivian
vivian
Site Admin

Post by vivian »

Here is a link to short history of skiing:

http://www.ruthvilmi.net/hut/Project/Cu ... cross.html
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

Basically they could reduce ep cost when moving on snowy areas and of course raise if on non-snowy areas unless you have roller skiis.
tilamond

Post by tilamond »

ooh, roller skiis would be nice :wink:
rolg

Post by rolg »

Hmm yes, skiing skill for survivalists and rangers. And maybe make it harder for mounts to move in deep snow, to make skiing even more useful :wink:
lemi

Post by lemi »

wow that sounds hardcore, maybe make it so that when you are walking through the snow the EP cost is higher, even when not on a mount... if it's not like that already.. and then snow-shoes too for people who don't like skiing.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
ndarr

Post by ndarr »

hmm, this is a fantasy mud after all, so why not make boots and stuff that enable wearer to walk with reduced ep in snowy areas? (don't really get the point why there should be one at all, but) :x
huck
Wizard

Post by huck »

Landscape would be a major effect in skiing. We wouldn't want players skiing up "mountain sides" or on flat surfaces with some sort of momentum. But aye, the idea should be looked at further I suppose.
|I|C|E|S|U|S| my anti-drug
tanstai

Post by tanstai »

But you could still get an EP break from skiing up a mt side. I've cross country skii'd up a few in my time, and it's certainly faster than walking up them.

Tanstai
wield Life
You don't have a Life.
maruxus
Wizard

Post by maruxus »

I can't see skiing up a mountain faster than walking..explain?
grainer
Supporting Member 2015

Post by grainer »

maruxus wrote:I can't see skiing up a mountain faster than walking..explain?
Hmm...you haven't skiied ever IRL, have you?
maruxus
Wizard

Post by maruxus »

Not once, hemophelia + bad knees + bad ankles + skiing = massive hospital time *nodnod*
labinac

Post by labinac »

what you really should do is make skiing not only reduce EP loss in snow.. but make outworld travel speedier too with skis (in snow) by making it similar to the walk command... probly dont move as MANY rooms as with walk.. but even moving 2 rooms instead of 1 is faster :P

just an idea.

lab
---------------------------------------
"The good are innocent and create justice. The bad are guilty, wich is why they invent mercy."