New Alert System Ideas

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

echcua
Wizard

New Alert System Ideas

Post by echcua »

Ok now is your chance to put your imput into the new alert system. Any ideas are welcome, within reason of course.
Good ideas may be rewarded :D
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Templar guards

Post by solar »

When templars start their guard duty, a notice would be helpful.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

New alert system? We are talking about the current warnings on the alert chanel, right? The channel that currently announces area spells?

Well if that is a case it would be nice, if it would only boast about a spell being cast, if im in the same area with that spell. Not quite sure if that is codeable tho... The info of 'am i in the same area' excists, but im not quite sure how you can use it.
echcua
Wizard

Post by echcua »

Current ideas:
1) Having a 'cool down period' between messages if multi spells are cast in same room. This would prevent a heap of spam.
2) If player is in the area they get the specific short desc otherwise it only comes up as being cast in an area eg: Bladed wind is being cast in The Village of Adroal.
Disclaimer: These ideas are not final! And may or may not be implemented.
asventral
Supporting Member 2007

Post by asventral »

i wonder if general notice wouldn't be enough.
Players shouldn't be able to know which spell is being cast.

I'd see something like :
"You notice a huge amount of magical power flowing in this area. Perhaps it could be wise not to go further".
or anything like that.

Perhaps players could get more informations about what is being cast thanks to a talent ? Which should be something like a "memory" ? But that wouldn't be useful, perhaps just a little bit more fun.

Another proposal:
Players would be warned by their worshiped god. That could use some DF ... or need a small minimal amount of DF to work.
arkady
Supporting Member 2007

Post by arkady »

the only part of my post that was really good:

ie the last alert is idenitical to the new alert, then the new alert doesn't go, so when the five bladed winds go off in the shanty we get one or two meesages in alerts, since there would be a timer and a match; say fourty five seconds have passed it alerts again.

really we want this system to spare very new people the pain of walking into a sorcerer because that bums them out.

Adjectives hmm nice in thought but unpractical
Last edited by arkady on Mon Jan 10, 2005 00:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
felgand

Post by felgand »

Okay, as far as alerts only showing up if you are in the same area and a "cooldown" period between identical alerts if they are cast in rapid sucession (Perhaps a 15 second delay that is reset every time the spell is recast) go, these are great ideas that would do well to see the light of day.

However, let's not go off into the deep end here people. There shouldn't be extra adjectives added in about the power of spells nor should area descriptions be added to alerts if the room description is already present. The major complaint right now about the channel is that it is much too spammy...by including both a power description and area description (if the short description of the room is already present) is only defeating yourself and basically a waste of time.

In addition for newer players, the area description being listed on an alert may be even more confusing than the short description of the room. For example, few people refer to an area as the "Tranquil Forest" even though it is a well-travelled area. I think that by leaving the short descriptions of a room shown on the alert channel will be more descriptive and useful in the end. On the same note, players should be informed of the alert channel during the tutorial or perhaps just before they enter the real game. This will allow them the chance of getting accustomed to it before they run into their first area spell unerringly, instead of after.
dracolipse

Short Descriptions for Shany Town

Post by dracolipse »

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, or if it affects other areas, but I'll list it here anyways.

There are three parts to this.

The first part is that Shanty town is generally incorrectly labeled throughout most of the room descriptions. Other than in one long description (1st room "to a small shanty town") and the first two short descriptions, there is no mention of "shanty town" at all. It is entirely referred to as the "orc town". While it is an orc town, if a player fails to read one of those descriptions, then there can be confusion about where they are when speaking with other players, in the alert channel(if it starts listing areas), etc. For the record, somebody might say that the name of Shanty Town isn't Shanty Town (similiar to how Stalker Forest isn't really Stalker Forest), but when Idles cosmetically redid Shanty Town 2 or 3 years ago, he specifically mentioned it as Shanty Town in the gameinfo for it.

The second part is that the short descriptions in shanty town, and other places, gives you no information as to what general area you are in. I did not know where the "northern marketplace" was until I got killed in it. Felgand told me to "last alert" to see that there was notice of the spell. I told him that I didn't see anything(since I was looking for something like Shanty Town) and he told me to look for the "norther marketplace". I asked him where the "northern marketplace" was, and he told me "that's where you just died". Worse yet is the "An along an alleyway" description which is exactly the same for all the rooms(about 16ish) around the perimeter of Shanty. If you're trying to come out of one of the "guild" rooms, bar or houses it is impossible to know whether you are going to die or not. Thus the short descriptions give no help because they do not give any real area information.

The third part is a question. Why are the short descriptions not a part of the long descriptions? This leads to the problem where the alert system gives a description that very likely will only be seen by party members and midbies-highbies that have an area memorized. I'd say that the majority of newbies (which the alert system is really supposed to be helping) are not walking around with the brief on or using ll to see short descriptions.
"If you love somebody, let them go. For if they return, they were always yours and if they dont, they never were. - Kahlil Gibran"
drakken

hmm

Post by drakken »

I believe having the alert system is better than when we didn't have an alert system.
If I were to improve it, I would remove alert from begin a channel and make it an area only shout.
If the area spell is cast in the outworld, there's really no need for an alert, since seeing that "bladed wind is being cast at Evergreen forest" isn't going to help you anyways unless you want to run indoors.
But if bladed wind is being cast at the fountain square and you are in that area, seeing a message sent to just that area would be useful if you are in that town at the time.
aktaz

Post by aktaz »

I don't know if this is feasible, but the channel could be divided into several channels : alert-nw , alert-ne , alert-sw , alert-se for example.
Each channel would cover about 1/4 of the world that way. The players could then either join the channel(s) they want, or, if possible, the change would be automatic when you walk into a new zone. This would allow to reduce the spam, and still inform about area effects. Also, that way, those who wish to keep all the info still can, and those who dont care dont have to.
If the change is not automatic, the division could be clearly shown or indicated : "You feel you are entering the north-eastern part of the world". And typing channel join alert-ne isn't that difficult :P
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

The information of 'am i in the same area as th room in which this huge spell is being cast' already exists. However, how could such a filter be applied to a channel, i don't know. Currently channels are global: everybody sees a message the same way. If a filter like 'I see only warning originating from my area' could be applied to the alert channel, i think it would be the best solution.
However the area-wide shout is also a good alternative.
I dont think that devideing the world into smaller areas and create a separate channel for each area, is a good idea. Would certainly be easy to code but would make it really a pain to leave/join the channels every time you move to another area. So most likely people would be joined to most of the channel at once, resulting in the same amount of unnessesary information - spam. However, if you automaticcally joined a channel when you enter a new area, it might work. Like you enter an area, that you dont know, and automatically you join a channel called 'shanty town' and as long as you are in that area, you will see all the alerts of spells being cast in shanty in that channel and might even be able to send out some area-wide messages. Also youd see who else is in the area, if you list the listeners of the channel, etc.
echcua
Wizard

Post by echcua »

This discussion has been great, thanks for you imput. Here is the 'new' alert system.

1) If outside of area you will only get an alert pertaining that there is casting gonig on in that area.
2) If you are in the area you get the specific short desc alert.
3) There wont be a grading system of the spells as this cannot be done accurately enough to my liking.
4) For the outworld you will get an alert if you are near the area that is being cast.
5) There is a 'cool down' period so that there is less spam.
6) Typing last alert will bring up the specific short desc.

This is how the new system stands, if you have anything else not listed above that you think you would like to see NOW is the time to raise your voice. 8)
kraven
Supporting Member 2012

alerts?

Post by kraven »

i rarely read alerts cos its waste of time (and eyes)..those few times when i read it, its cos i saw some known "pkiller" in the area...there should be friendly fire command that when its on the spell u cast aborts at the last round of casting If there is other party/player in room.... :idea: and if someone have this friendly fire off...the kill he mades is intentional..
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

I agree with kraven.
There should be a 'set friendly-fire off/on'.
I have expressed consern about a certain mentality, that states : 'If you get killed by an area spell, it your fault!'. I think it is very unfair.

Of course there will be whining from great casters about this. Like 'I don't want someone to mess up my spell, that takes 95% of my SP to start casting, just by walking into the room in the worts time!'. But to that i would say: 'If you really need this spell to work, set frindly fire on, and than be responsible for PK.'