New Area idea

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

What do you think of having an area for people to fight over?

I love it!
32%
I think it could work, if it were well coded.
47%
Not sure.
9%
I don't think it would be very good.
No votes
I think this idea should be entertained no further. (and Rotax should be given the plague every time he logs onto Icesus.)
12%

Total votes: 34

rotax

New Area idea

Post by rotax »

How about a neutral territory that can either be controlled be Graemor or by Vaerlon. The area could be PvP allowed, and let players fight for control over it. Kinda like an ongoing king of the hill game. Only cooler.

*EDIT*
Added a poll to easily guage the overall opinions of people.
Last edited by rotax on Thu Jan 20, 2005 19:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Great idea, imo

Post by solar »

A great idea, but it does require coding (which I won't be doing... well, if coder needs help, I can provide some descs)

But... why would they be fighting over it, how would the cities (and players) benefit from having it under their control?
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
rotax

Post by rotax »

I'm not sure, but I invite anyone reading this to give ideas.
torvus

Post by torvus »

A very plentifull mine is there and only miners from the city that controll it get to use it? (If miners guild is ever implemented again)
tilamond

Post by tilamond »

Good idea, but yes they have to fight over something. mines is a good one.
apex

Post by apex »

What about another death-hut with very little/no exp-loss?
or

what if instead of a battleground between cities... it was a battleground between elements.- The dominant element getting bonuses (or just a phase).

OR

some sort of altar or something a player can visit to gain a bonus- allowing only players from a city to be bonused (city controlling area)...

hmm
tilamond

Post by tilamond »

apex wrote:What about another death-hut with very little/no exp-loss?
or

what if instead of a battleground between cities... it was a battleground between elements.- The dominant element getting bonuses (or just a phase).

OR

some sort of altar or something a player can visit to gain a bonus- allowing only players from a city to be bonused (city controlling area)...

hmm
Whatever he said :twisted:
rotax

Post by rotax »

I wish you could get exp from killing other players in a pvp area. However, I also understand the abuse that could arise, like I could let you kill me over and over to get lots of xp (although since characters fight back autamiaticly, this is hard do with tanks and such)
solar
Supporting Member 2020

brainstorming

Post by solar »

If this area would be an altar, then a good reason to battle for it would be to make df-blessing upkeeps a little lower for the controlling side. Or that sacrificing stuff would yield 5-10% more DF.

If it's a city, then the controlling side's skill&spell training could cost less money, another good (but not too good) reason for controlling it.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
rotax

Post by rotax »

Well, the thing is, I imagine if the area were pretty valuable, it would be switching hands quite often, in which case people wouldnt bother going to it because they would either be killed or get there and it wouldnt be under their city's control.
Which is why I dont think a city would work so well. But perhaps an alter would, in the middle of an abandoned city?
asventral
Supporting Member 2007

Post by asventral »

The general idea sounds great.
The battle for control could be some kind of event.
Let's say it would run once a week and then the winner kingdom get 'control' over the city/mine/... for the whole week.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Ok, in general this sounds likea good idea, however...

# Runing an event once a week has its upsides and downsides:
-It would make it a lot easyer to summon up a defencive army, if you know when the attack is coming.
-It is also logical that getting an army together every week might not be so easy, as not all people might be in the game than. So there is a slight garanty that the city will not remain in one team hands forever.
-Knowing the time of the attack, will remove any chance for surprise hits- like the ones the shadowdancers are known for. Limiting the battles to pure melee, in which case the templars will mostly win.

#The area should be diverse, so as to offer good fighting grounds for all guilds:
- Some rooms of wilderness surrounding the 'keep', for the rangers, covenants and sorcerers that fight best in th outdoors.
- Some dark passageways leading into the keep, for those that need to creep in the shadows for maximum power.
- Some open gateways for the militia to defend with their wall of shields. Not leting anyone pass until a gap has been beaten into their ranks.
-etc. All the guids in icesus are quite unique. They all have their needs and their special feats. The area has to offer a chance of fighting for _everyone_. Or else it will be most unfair and quite pointless. And when i say chance of fighting i mean the use of their best feats. I mean mages aint going there if they cant cast their most powerful spells, earth_priests are not going there if they cant bright their minions, sorecerers will be disappointed if they cant cast area-spells and shadowdancers are not going to come if they cant snakes and backstab.

#Control of the 'area' for an amount time should not give the controlling side the advantage in fighting for its control:
- If the controllers gain immense amounts of money, or if their blessings now cost less- it will be a lot easyer for them to fight for the city-- with their greater money they can purchace better eq, with cheaper blessings they can take better blessing for a lower cost, thus making them more powerful compared to those not in control over the area.
- It will be very difficult to find the balance between perks that are unfair and perks that are reason enough to even risk you neck in the fights for the area.

But in general it is a very good idea, it will bring about a lot more agression and whining but it could also be a lot more fun.
One more thing: It would be cool if the controlled area would not just be a place of power but also a place of fun- like maybe some inns that you don't get into if you are not part of the conrolling force. Some shops that sell different stuff than the normal shops, some games for gamble, some events even, etc and all this only for the conrolling side.
rotax

Post by rotax »

The only issue with an Inn would be, what if you go in and leave the game while your side has control, and then come back into the game after your side has lost control?

Also, I dont think it should be an event. This would make it much harder for surprise attacks, especially for those who rely on surprises the most, like shadowdancers. However, there should maybe be a guard outpost (guarded by mobs) and when they start to be attacked, there should be a warning that the place is under attack, so that the defending side has a few minutes to prepare.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

rotax wrote:The only issue with an Inn would be, what if you go in and leave the game while your side has control, and then come back into the game after your side has lost control?

Also, I dont think it should be an event. This would make it much harder for surprise attacks, especially for those who rely on surprises the most, like shadowdancers. However, there should maybe be a guard outpost (guarded by mobs) and when they start to be attacked, there should be a warning that the place is under attack, so that the defending side has a few minutes to prepare.
When i said 'Inn' I did not mean a place to leave place. More like the word 'Inn' in the meaning of 'Pub' or 'Bar'- place of drink, food and entertainmet.

Also i think the area should contain NPC's. Some ther to serve you, others there to protect it- for the current masters. Like gate-guards who monitor that no-one that is not part of the controlling side enters the area. The guards would have to be attacked, or an alternative route found into the area, to start the fight for control. I for one would like to see a option for sneaking into the area with 'move silently' for the shadowdancers and rangers. So if you are good enough in stealth you can get deeper into the area but not deep enough to conquer it alone. However onece noticed the alarm would sound.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

maybe 1 or 2 of those npcs could offer limited time offers on skills, like whatever the mage skill is that lets you notice an enemy is casting at you or general melee up to 25%. the skills could change every 30 weeks or so.