The problem with mounts

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

No
daerin

Post by daerin »

what about allowing to cast chronomancer spells or using orienteering at mount? sometimes mount are lost somewhere at ow and its very complicated to find them :(
quintosh
Supporting Member 2014

Post by quintosh »

Easy solution, get yourself a copy of the world map, and tag the place where you leave your mount :)
Or just dont drag them everywhere :!:

I just usually leave my mount to 4-5 different locations, easy to remember, wont take the mounts ep points, but that still doesnt conclude the fact that you might accidentally 'leave game', reboot comes, and you loose your mount though. Or do like Etadan did :f
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

The problem most likely is that when you lose a mount when you die suddenly to an aggressive ow mob. I might code a recovery system one day but we'll see :)
rotax

Post by rotax »

Maybe you could get a skill called sense mount, that would work remarkably similar to sense souls?

Low levels of the skill will say "You sense your mount being no where near here", or "You sense your mount nearby"

Mid levels would say something like "You sense your mount is roughly north of here", or "You sense your mount is in an evergreen forest".

High levels could say "You sense your mount being a long ways east and a bit south of here in a plains", or "You sense your mount being very close to you in a swamp to the west."
moraq

Post by moraq »

For the mount system to be even remotely realistic any kind of a sense-your-horse kinda spell/skill should not be implemented; yes it would help those (see: Daic) who tends to forget his mounts location from time to time but that serves 'em just right!
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

This is a repeating topic. There already was a discussion about finding and recovering your mount in this forum. The outlined ideas that were given in it were:
* Tracking addition- make it possible to track a lost mount with the tracking skill.
* Mount corpses- Make it so that there would be a mark of a dead mount for a long time. If a corpse goes rotten too bad, leaving only a skull or horse-shoes etc, by which you could identify the mount and realise the search is over.
* Give rangers ability to capture wild mounts- once a mount is lost, it will join a herd of wild animals of the same type. Give the rangers or the hunters an extra command to try to re-capture such mounts. Similar to real hunting, but with the goal to capture the animal that looks like it could at some point have been taimed.
* Give shadowdancers the ability to sense mounts with their shadowsense skill- make the shadowdancers able to see the location of the mount, similar to how they currently see the position of players.

There were also some other arguments in that topic, i just dont remember them all. try using the 'search'.
felgand

Post by felgand »

I think the only thing that would give a nice touch would be the mount corpses/skeleton if they end up dying. Frankly, mounts give impressive benefit to a player already even currently. Standing the chance of losing a mount in the outworld due to whatever circumstance is a reasonable risk of enjoying such a benefit. Even though I've used mounts extensively in the past and do so to a reasonable extent in the present, I don't think it is necessary or wise to create extensive tracking skills/spells/whatnot to locate your mount.
grainer
Supporting Member 2015

Post by grainer »

How about just add an automatic "mount"-location in orienteering and location memory, witchever the player has or both that doesn't cost a "normal" memoryslot and is updated instantly every time you dismount in ow.
It would be realistic that character would remember where he left his mount.
dunn

Post by dunn »

How about a feat, call whistle?

Whistle to call your mount and if you're patient enough, they will come to find you. This idle penalty should be enough to prevent future mis-placement of mounts and not cause a hassle to a mount reimbursement system.
felgand

Post by felgand »

I think that needing to take care of your mount and remembering where you place it is a fair responsibility for gaining a very significant advantage (mounted movement bonus, etc). Losing your mount should remain as a reasonable disadvantage to those that wish to use it, therefore feats such as call whistling, orienteering, etc shouldn't be needed or put into place.
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

Mounts can be summoned now at Broken Oak Inn, if they are equipped with special saddles.

Locked the thread. Reason: Idea implemented