Air_Priest idea

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

xerene
Supporting Member 2009

Air_Priest idea

Post by xerene »

If I remember correctly in the AD&D game didn't healing do damage to undeads? If so why wouldn't it be possible in Icesus?
asventral
Supporting Member 2007

Post by asventral »

I'd say that would make a_priests some kind of undead hunters ... which sounds unbalanced to me. There are already spells that affects undeads a lot (see Earth priests).
rotax

Post by rotax »

Also, this would allow priests like me to chain embraces of vitaes to an undead rather quickly (embrace of vitae is a powerfull and fast healing spell at the cost of high sp), making me an extremely powerfull undead hunter.
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

Before I became went sorcerer and became a menace to peace loving players everywhere, I was an air priest for ages. My best solo rates were against 50-80k undead with call lightning. The boost, attack, hope to be alive long enough to flee after the bolt hits, flee, heal, repeat method. Its dangerous. If essence of true ritual didn't kick well on a big mob it was better to take the lumps and flee. Even then its not something I'd try when leveling. A steel greatsword can ruin a gnome air priest's day in a hurry.

That might provide a data point for balance. There is no reason the HP of damage to undead has to equal the HP healing to players. If the average damage/round from heal spells wasn't greater than the damage/round of the call lightning then it would not greatly tip the balance. (most of the SP probably goes to healing and boosting anyway, so SP cost isn't as critical for balance. Should be close, but not terribly critical.)

It would provide more flexibility. If you can't stand in the room long enough for the lightning bolt (a quite slow spell) then you could do shorter runs using the damage of a healing spell. In a party fighting undead indoor, if the tanks are holding up well it would give the air priest something else to do.

As far as "why add this".. It seems air priests have an anti-undead mission already with their banish sermon, this would round out the arsenal and make that function more explicit.
suron

Post by suron »

Yes!

While this healing damages undead discussion has been on the table for a long time, it is time to implement this into the game.

...Wiiiizaards?

Anyone listening? Idles? Belannaer?
dunn

Post by dunn »

I think a new set of skills (like combat healing/faster spells, higher sp cost) could be implemented to make air priests actually have an arsenal vs undead, other than call lightning without recycling healing spells.

Perhaps an aura set, where the glow damages undeads and also provides some healing, though minor, to the priest and perhaps his party/or other air worshippers for the ultimate sp blow fest.

It's time to add the fireworks. Every other guild is getting spiffy color these days, so why not warm up air priests with a nice addition to their otherwise demure repertoire. Bladed wind only goes so far.
drakken

Post by drakken »

Air Priests have some deverse ways of damaging undeads already. Some are very creative. The problem isn't that they need more ways, the problem is that the two coolest ways of damaging undeads, do so very little damage. Tweaking the damage a bit is all that needs done here.
felgand

Post by felgand »

Drakken brings up a good point now that I think of it, air priests really do have several methods to damage undeads already in their arsenal and may not necessarily need more. Instead, let's make what they already have a touch more useful. For example, it might be nice for the anti-undead sermon to cause some damage and prevent said undead from attacking for a given amount of time. This would give the air priest some breather room for them to hit the next call lightning.
xerene
Supporting Member 2009

Post by xerene »

like a turn undead ability? Hmm...
felgand

Post by felgand »

Well, no. It wouldn't actually do any extra damage in of itself, it would just cause the undead to freeze for a moment so the air priest can have some breathing room to cast.
zohlor
Supporting Member 2019

Post by zohlor »

Shouldn't work against bigger undeads, but not an bad idea.
You see us comin'
And you all together run for cover
We're taking over this town
suron

Post by suron »

I haven't personally tried this preaching for undeads sermon, but it would be cool if the effect got stronger the more air priests were preaching at the same time. A party full of air priests would be force to be reckonned with when they are banishing undeads. Not that anyone would ever think of taking more than one healer to their party unless doing serious eq, but it would still be nice.
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

Healing spells will not cause damage on undeads because there are several special ways to handle with that. Although battling against undeads is part of air priests field it has been debated and almost completely moved to be job of water priests making them the anti-undead/demon guild. Also making healing spells to damage undeads would give a huge boost in offensive field for air priests in certain areas (we have lots of undeads varying from really small to the biggest mob in the game). This boost would toss the guild out of good balance in which it currently is and would result in (down)tuning of something else in the guild (healing spells?). Instead I doubled the effect of preaching damage.

Locked the thread. Reason: Idea not implemented