Merchant's council/ruling body

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

arkady
Supporting Member 2007

Post by arkady »

It would not make the items any more likely to turn over, I would collect unique items and drop them in the apartments I have keys to. anyway do you really think that Mila could get waxed for a unique item.. so those items would eventfully collect into the top five players and they would stay there.. for a long long time...[/quote]
rotax

Post by rotax »

dunn wrote:
rotax wrote:Maybe other players can be allowed to pk someone with a unqiue item, so that having that item becomes very dangerous, and will drop if you die.

I think a little less peace on Icesus might make the game more exciting :p

No.

Why would you make a bunch of crappy items unique?

Again, no.
I don't really want Unique items, I just want more free PK'ing on Icesus 8D
dunn

Post by dunn »

This really isn't the thread for that :P

Though having 10 newbies wrestle for an avian blade might be fun, until a highbie walks in an wipes the floor with them so they could sacc it.
echcua
Wizard

Post by echcua »

How about eq get damaged alot more easily, hence quality goes down relatively quickly and either the eq has to be replaced or repaired.
felgand

Post by felgand »

I think that sort of setup just makes it very annoying for the casual player to play Icesus.
echcua
Wizard

Post by echcua »

Why would this be annoying? I think it woud add another aspect to the game and also increase the 'cashflow' of weapons as well as funds. For newbies this wouldn't affect them as much as there are plenty of cheap eq around whereas it would target eq which are reasonably rare and hence the higher player who has this eq is in the position to either repair it or find a replacement.
daic
Supporting Member 2015

ponderwonder@word with 90minutes of sleep last nite.

Post by daic »

Why should eq get damaged more often since there is no way to repair them yet. But code smiths/leatherworkers/carpenters and add it in the game. Then feel free to double the possibility for eqdamage.
Little Orcs, Burarum!
They come with axes, they come with fire, gnawing, biting, burning hacking, breaking!
Destroyers and usurpers curse them!
dunn

Post by dunn »

Yeah.. please don't code annoyingly occuring damage code.. high quality things have a good chance of getting damaged already if you're unlucky and it's not marked to you.

As well, how would that solve the problem? It would compound it.. Highbies can't stand second-class goods, which will result in it getting sold for crap value, which will result in more goods of the above (but in prime quality).

Fix OW. Not tune it so that abusing players will not find it worth their time. Then those things won't be in such high demand, because the market will have more variety.

Lately I don't find the problem as viable as it used to be.. Perhaps the lower prices were also affected to some degree by the apartment buying spree that started around the same time (joking aside).

I don't think this thread accurately represents the problem in game in either a positive or negative light. There are players who will overpay 3x the price of an item and some who will hesitate to pay even market value. Introducing new elements to the game (higher eqdamage!!) should be done in a thorough and thoughtful fashion. Not by rumours and replies x to thread y.

Don't add another problem.. Constructive problem solving is the key word.

/rant
echcua
Wizard

Post by echcua »

As my main interest in Icesus coding is mainly the non-hack & slash areas eg. economy, mining, etc etc. I would really would like to know what areas need to be improved. I have my own opinion of course but I would love more input. As I see it this is the economy as it stands.

Code: Select all

Input                                                 Output

mob loot                                            eq
potions/salves                                  mounts
leatherworking                                 skill/spells
                                                           recharge of glows
As you start the game there is little input and so this simple equation does well, what I suggest is the addition of a few more factors in both input and output to increase the overall cashflow, with the overall aim of moving some of the mass fortunes around a bit (I know I am wishing for a lot). For example having to maintain your equipment, atm there is no such thing, sure you may get unlucky and your eq may get damaged but this is pitiful as it is. The system could be similar to the glow drain, as you use your sword it will get blunt etc. then you would have to sharpen it or pay someone to do so etc.

Just throwing an idea up, hmm should move this to the ideas section.
dunn wrote: I don't think this thread accurately represents the problem in game in either a positive or negative light.
Could you please try and represent it then, I would really appreciate it, in both lights would be great :)
suron

Post by suron »

Real estate tax.
+
Vehicle tax.
+
Income tax.
+
Property tax.
=
Problem solved.

(that's how the 'big thinkers' solved money problems in real life)
dunn

Post by dunn »

Echcua, you left out possibly the most important and MAJOR output.. And that is DF DF DF DF DF.

How can you overlook that?

The actual in game equation can be simplified to CASH >> DF.

And DF is where the balancing is met.

/Surplus = Training//
---------------------///Surplus = mount/buying items.

The surplus gets divided many times over before reaching the final stage, which is paying for items, which is the whole point of this thread.. (Or lack thereof.)

This thread cannot represent the problem because its focus is limited. No one can represent a problem that is a substitute for real game experience.. Meaning, there is no substitute.

The problem, as I see it, is over crowding of areas.

Too many other in game options have been downtuned to rendered useless, to removed, which leaves only one option to handle the entire game population.

Having to maintain your equipment.. (Assuming this is in-balance, which given the real equation, would not.) How are you going to implement this for parties running equipment vs regular exp parties? Or people that like to solo, spell casters vs melee tanks..

Do you want to bog down an eq party with a constant need to repair the front row's armor? Because it would be constant if it has instances of occurance in even the most average exp party.

Second of all, I don't like this. If I wanted to sharpen my sword and polish my armor I would go play CRAFTmud and live in Beacon of Hope. This is Icesus. Nothing wrong with the gameplay system.

As pitiful as getting an eq damaged, it makes a lot of difference especially on a weapon or a crucial piece of armor. Especially if you can't repair it. I've seen certain other items liquified as well.

Bottom line, to any economy there has to be a surplus. And yes, the rich will grow richer and the poor will grow poorer. If there is no surplus, it is a depression. There HAS to be growth. What you are proposing would lead us into a recession and ultimately into a gimped play system. And that is --FUN.

With all that said, I have nothing against roleplayers, crafting, and labourers of all callings. And no, I don't PK.

I would love to see more development in non-hack and slash areas, as long as they don't impact hack and slash areas.
echcua
Wizard

Post by echcua »

Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate it. If anyone has any other ideas/opinions I would also greatly appreciate them.
felgand

Post by felgand »

For a casual player, several major problems are introduced if eq damage is made much more harsh than it is today...this is especially noticeable with some of the higher-end equipment. A single eq run on some of the best stuff can take anywhere between 4-8 hours of 6-9 players combining their efforts...and aside from fighting the creature the first time around, it tends to be a very tedious and time-consuming process, not counting the time it takes to coordinate people together for the run itself. Having eq from one of these runs severely damaged and/or destroyed favors only players who can consistantly dedicate a large amount of hours to running eq...and hence would bring you back to the original problem.
echcua
Wizard

Post by echcua »

Err, what I am suggesting is that you would have to maintain your eq felgand ie. repair it etc. therefore this would increase the overall cashflow ie. players could repair eq themselves or get other players to do so. I am not suggesting that we up the damage freq without a means of repairing as this, as you said, would do very little.
janeti
Supporting Member 2006

Post by janeti »

echcua wrote:Err, what I am suggesting is that you would have to maintain your eq felgand ie. repair it etc. therefore this would increase the overall cashflow ie. players could repair eq themselves or get other players to do so. I am not suggesting that we up the damage freq without a means of repairing as this, as you said, would do very little.
So this means introducing repair skills usably by everybody, which steps on the toes of the crafting guild and there seems to be a great effort to keep skills out of the hands of more than one guild if possibly. Or you have to go to the smith, cue HUGE QUEUES at the smith. Or getting the crafting guild up and running and making it sufficiently worthwhile that enough people join it to make sure that there are enough to do all the repair work, otherwise, particularly at certain times eq is going to get damaged and the owner, not able to adventure where they normally do is going to get bored and stop playing or adventure somewhere lower than his normal level and kill the mobs that lower level people want to kill. Leading to them getting bored and....or...

There seems to be lots of people who want this MUD high on the best mud list, and lots who want it harder to play for newbies, are they the same people?

I would also point out that although prices might have come down so have some of the sources of cash, you used to be able to make insane levels of money with leatherworking, hence my all over fine steel chit silk by level 15. And people who are making money by scavenging cleared areas aren't making exp.