The day that never happened

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

solar
Supporting Member 2020

The day that never happened

Post by solar »

Hey! While sitting in a bus, waiting to get home, it occured to me that icesus could have a few boots every year that officially 'never happen'.

Meaning, that the mud backups before them and restores afterwards: The 31 hours wouldn't ever happen, as far as the mud's data is concerned. These boots could have free pkilling and whatnot, just to amuse the players... and perhaps the wizards too. Sure, players could use this period to test different things about the game, or some guild/race combination that they wouldn't normally want to try without being intoxicated >:P

Also, these boots should be informed beforehand, so that 'race wars' and other player-events could be arranged?

What do you think? Doable? Good? Bad? Ugly?
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
stalker
Wizard

Re: The day that never happened

Post by stalker »

solar wrote:Hey! While sitting in a bus, waiting to get home, it occured to me that icesus could have a few boots every year that officially 'never happen'.

Meaning, that the mud backups before them and restores afterwards: The 31 hours wouldn't ever happen, as far as the mud's data is concerned. These boots could have free pkilling and whatnot, just to amuse the players... and perhaps the wizards too. Sure, players could use this period to test different things about the game, or some guild/race combination that they wouldn't normally want to try without being intoxicated >:P

Also, these boots should be informed beforehand, so that 'race wars' and other player-events could be arranged?

What do you think? Doable? Good? Bad? Ugly?
Would it give anything more than a few hours of mindless fun? And at the same time spoil away some excitement in certain aspects such as reincs. My conservative mind, with the current arguments, wouldn't support the idea.
Stalker
stalker
Wizard

Post by stalker »

.. however, if there would be a good reason for it, such as a intricate event, a pre-scheduled restore could well be possible. But at the same time I would suggest that reincarnation and other spoilers would be disabled to allow the player base to focus on the real event..
~
Stalker
solar
Supporting Member 2020

A good reason... or not

Post by solar »

Don't know if I can come up with a good enough reason for this... but someone else might... In the meantime I'll entertain my reader with an idea of CTF (capture the flag). We give symmetrical castles to all competing teams with player-orderable npc guards. Each castle has from like 3 to as_many_as_needed 'control rooms' that they are supposed to defend (and conquer from other castles)

To give players more reaction time (since they'll be the ones to battle against each other in Icesus-style combat (Which can be quite fast), all combat point assignments should be divided by 4 (for example, unless a better solution is found)

Some daemon/wizard will of course keep the players updated of what is going by broadcasting on the event-info channel: Blue team conquered the southwestern tower! etc.

And now you wonder, why should there be a backup/restore for this? Since there'd be little use in not participating, we should get more attenders than events usually have...

This is not that intricate event as you probably meant, Stalker, but this is a start, no?
Internet tough guy

iluth

Post by iluth »

Not directly related to this idea but worth a mention, i saw some other mud recently that allows players to pk and experiment, on an alternate version of the mud (like icesus has a dev server, this mud has a pk server)

Icesus without rules or exp loss through reincarnation, that might be a fun place to visit from time to time.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

in another mud i have played, there is a area where you can fight to the death with no dying, sort of like the arena but you can't really be killed. if there were a gate to that alternate version and you need to use a password to get on it might help.
apex

Post by apex »

I like stalkers idea about no reincs etc... but I do like the idea of having monthly or so free-boots where either a funtastic event is planned out.. or people just get a boot to joke around w/o worrying about the consequences

to quote stalker: Would it give anything more than a few hours of mindless fun?

perhaps, but isn't that what a game is all about? I think players, in this mud especially, have a tendency to freak out too much about thier characters and thier exp etc etc etc... maybe the occasional break to "let the hair down" and have some genuine no-holds-barred fun would be good for the community, and the mud...

Could even think of a legitimate reason for it (in game)[to way over simplify an example..] "Gods are at war" it scars the landscape and creates sort of an etheral essence, in plce of daylight or dark... the gods take thier focus off the world for a moment. Town vendors and (GMs)[going back to the excitement of experimenting with risk of failure that stalker mentioned] retire to their respective holes to avoid the coming chaos, and the valley descends into a state of complete anarchy.

Afterwards, the gods respective hunger for war again satiated, they restore the valley back to it's previous state- to allow their more subtle state of war to continue without any obstruction even after their brief abscence...

^just one example of a "in-story" explanation of such an event.

Again, I think Solar has got a REALLY good Idea hear, and i'd lvoe to see it implemented in some form down the line!:)

-Apex
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

we might want to warn the newbies who would be getting on that boot to wait for a day or so, for their own safety.
apex

Post by apex »

But alas! dying would have no lasting effect! so yes, they would have to run and hide in fear of being slaughtered countless times (hmm should death be made less of a burden? -> perhaps lasting effects still, but no gathering souls?) but the chaos may be a fun way to jump into the pond
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

post reply not really for absolute newbies, which get on occasionally. and might not be as optimistic as i was when i started.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Post by solar »

Time to try resurrecting this thread...

MASSIVE citydefending event!

Vast hordes of malevolent undead beings, some powerful NPCs and traitorous players are trying to reach the Elica stone! Pemriel is confronted by several covens, liches, death_knights, greater beholders and demons of high power that PIERCE through his god-given defences and make him mortal!

Beyond the horizon, the dead live again, shambling tirelessly vast distances to reach the Elemental artifact that beckons them, killing everything alive in their way to reach it!

Martial law declared, citizens told to take up arms and fight for their lives against this unnatural and vile threat.

And you - Join the city defence forces to fight off this menace, the odds are grim but if we're to fall, it'll be with one final blaze of glory! When such a dire fate is about to happen, there is no _me_, only US! Organize large parties and fight as a team! Take logs of the event and possibly upload them to the net for everyone else to enjoy!

If Pemriel dies and the stone is reached, the world will be destroyed. If the city can hold on long enough, divine aid will sent by the Gods.

Featuring:

Bodycount (broadcasted on event-info every now and then, either in # of undeads killed, or the total levelamount of undeads killed). And the number of times the player itself has died, and how many kills per death is it.

Wizard FUN: Possess NPC's of varying power, organize NPC parties and SLAUGHTER the innocent citizens and those abusive whining mortals!

-----
After the event ends, normal gameplay continues as before, restored to the status that was before this special event. Some awards might be given to players, not to highbies alone.
-----

Does this sound interesting?
Internet tough guy

artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

K, that event sound just like any 'Attack Vaerlon' event. Like the one that was held at the beginning days of Icesus and like all the wizard-shadowdancers teamp-ups.

The problem is, these things pass with quite stealthy shadows. Only those fortunate enough to be online and see it happen ever know it did happen. What we need is pre-announced events, and a world history that remembers these events.

Eg. After earth priests and Sorcerers storm Vaerlon, the next 5 boots npc bountyhunters would roam the world and kill players who took part in the event. Guards will talk of the recent attacks (not the dark elf asoult from a 100 years ago, but the event that happened yesterday).

If you make a world event, make the world remember the outcome of the event and make players know before the event comes. If not for any other reason, let people know so the earth priests can make better minions, people can spend their unspent exp and last but not least people who want to join can come online for that boot and people who dont want to join can leave.