Melee Ranger uptunes...

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

dunn

Melee Ranger uptunes...

Post by dunn »

I think this guild seriously needs to be uptuned.. A melee ranger is probably the worst character in the game and it sucks because they are really fun to play as melee.

Sure, rangers have the choice to go archer or melee - but it's not two guilds in one, it's two -mediocre- guilds that a character has access to and thus both suck because other guilds don't have that variety.

Archers were tuned a while ago to lower their damage.. Melee rangers are pointless to play since you can do more damage and probably tank better, and most importantly not be confined to being outdoors for your skillset to work, as a shifter or a even a monk.. Both guilds that don't rely on spending millions for a decent weapon, or in this case two to work.

Rangers used to be the best hunters on Icesus, since hunting was butchered, that is no longer their case for making exp either. (I'm talking balance for getting 1shot kills.)

I think all in all, it's a good case for looking at the guild again - and please don't give them an uptune in form of salves..
daic
Supporting Member 2015

You sure about RangerArcher?

Post by daic »

Atleast I am happy to my ranger archer reinc. Being good archer takes bit time. But when my Focus of a marksman reached 50% started reinc to kick in. Getting nice hits, hitting slot I am aiming at makes playing with this enjoyable.
Little Orcs, Burarum!
They come with axes, they come with fire, gnawing, biting, burning hacking, breaking!
Destroyers and usurpers curse them!
felgand

Post by felgand »

Ranger archers aren't half bad right now and likely would only need a small uptune if anything was touched. A bit more damage or better speed/accuracy with their mastery specials made a little better and last a little longer should do the trick, really. As blasters, rangers can take a good deal of hits comparably while deal out a reasonable amount of damage while taking a melee role if necessary. You trade max damage for that type of versitility.

Melee rangers really just underscore a problem with most weapons-based melee guilds. They don't excel in doing damage in nearly all cases (with notable exception) and are not necessarily more efficient tanks. A speedy smaller weapon just doesn't compare to unarmed combatants or larger weapons. I think the solution in this case is just to make more useful maledictions that are primarily effective on smaller weapons such as daggers, shortswords, and the like. Stun powder was a good move in this direction, but it is still thus far a rarely explored area on Icesus. Speed should mean more than just barely scratching your target at 100 km/h.
iluth

Re: Melee Ranger uptunes...

Post by iluth »

I think this guild seriously needs to be uptuned.. A melee ranger is probably the worst character in the game and it sucks because they are really fun to play as melee.
Being a melee ranger IS a lot of fun, unfortunately the who guild shares would be totally messed if melee rangers were any better than they are now, rangers already take up a good sized chunk of the who list. Granted some of those are archers but those are actually recent reincs.
Sure, rangers have the choice to go archer or melee - but it's not two guilds in one, it's two -mediocre- guilds that a character has access to and thus both suck because other guilds don't have that variety.
This is something else where people seem to be missing the point, a melee ranger might be mediocre compared to a shifter, and an archer mediocre compared to a mage. But the only thing limiting you in both cases is total worth, a ranger can take both melee and archer levels with enough exp, and they do very well in solo. I'm not even sure if this mediocre thing is actually true, rangers are just mediocre in conventional parties.

People tend to talk about rangers needing an uptune when only looking at the guild from one angle, and that is how they stack up against the other guilds. If you're persistent (crazy) enough to spend a long amount of time as a ranger you'll never want to leave, i actually joined this mud wanting to be an assassin but got addicted to the ranger guild.

There are a few of us that stick as melee rangers, and it's not because we're happy with sucking or just put up with the bad exp because the guild is "cool" when you've been around the guild long enough you know the little tricks to help you to do really well (exp and money wise) masteries also help in this respect, they will separate a reinced ranger from a veteran ranger by a long way.